jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Help with new HubPages account name! (Names dealing with coffee)

1. mariexotoni profile image90
    mariexotoniposted 2 years ago

I really need to work on my creativity. Going to make a new HubPages account that is specific to coffee and espresso drinks. Want to create a strong online brand and see what I can learn.

Anyways, here's what I got:

caffe Americano
    the coffee cup
    Lady Mocha
    the Little Italian Barista
    the Chai Barista

What do you think? Suggestions/tweaks obviously welcome!

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

What is your long term goal?   Is it just to make money on HubPages or do you have aspirations to be a writer?   

If you do, then you'd be far better off to forget about fancy nicknames and start using a real name.  These days, being a successful writer is as much about you as a person, as about your writing.   So it's important to build your online presence by using the same name across all platforms.   

It doesn't have to be your real name but it has to sound like a real name, because you can't open a Google+ or Facebook account with a nickname. In fact, strictly speaking it should be your actual name - but in practice I know plenty of people who are using a pseudonym without problems, so long as it sounds genuine.

If you were starting your own website, then I'd agree with the idea of choosing a keyword name for it.  However on HubPages, there's no way to link to your author bio on your posts except your byline at the top of the page - so if your name doesn't appear there, you're anonymous.

2. mariexotoni profile image90
    mariexotoniposted 2 years ago

Thanks for the response! I actually want to stay away from using my real name. My plans for this is to have a fun little side project. I want to build up a brand so to speak, and gain readership. Just want to see what I can do and experiment with a niche on the side of this HubPages account.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'm the same.   I started writing online long before the current trend towards real names, but one particular site insisted on a real name, so I created one - and it stuck.  Google my name now, and you'll find I feature fairly high in the search results even though it's not an unusual name. It did seem strange to use another name at first, but now I'm so used to it, it feels like it belongs!   And after all, writers have used pseudonyms for centuries, it's normal.

Think about it - if you started a blog, you wouldn't give yourself a nickname.  You'd give the blog a name, but you'd have an author profile with your author name on it.  It's important - what if you want to issue an ebook on the topic? A nickname would look odd on the cover, but if the name doesn't match how will readers make the connection? 

If you're determined to stick with a nickname, I suggest you get in touch with Hubber Agilitymach.   She's made a great success of building a niche without using her real name.   My only worry is that someday, Facebook will notice she's not using her real name, and her Facebook account will suddenly be blocked.  That would be much less likely to happen if she'd chosen a pseudonym that sounds like a real name. 

If you want to build a readership, then you need to follow Agilitymach's lead and built it via Facebook not via HP.   You can't build readership on HP (except other Hubbers), because there's no way for people to sign up for your feed.