jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

New Amazon TOS - how will this affect us here on HubPages

1. Alison Graham profile image92
    Alison Grahamposted 3 years ago

I got a very long email today from Amazon outlining changes to Amazon TOS for Europe - I am sure it will not be long before Amazon.com issues something similar so I wanted to ask the following before it happens!

What would this mean for us here on Hubpages - I have pasted the exact wording below - it seems they are saying it is against TOS to format links with our Associate tag and use them on a site we do not own? So, if I create a text link to Amazon UK from one of my hubs, is this now going to be a violation - and following on from this, if they do the same for Amazon.com what are the implications?

April 1, 2014 Version

9. You will not sell, resell, redistribute, sublicense, or transfer any Content or any application that uses, incorporates, or displays any Content. For example, you will not use, or enable or facilitate the use of, Content on or within any application, platform, site, or service (including social networking sites) that requires you to sublicense or otherwise give any rights in or to any Content to any other person or entity, nor will you create links formatted with your Associate’s tag for, or display such links on, a site that is not your site.

Replaces equivalent provisions from
    September 1, 2013 Version

9. You will not sell, resell, redistribute, sublicense, or transfer any Content or any application that uses, incorporates, or displays any Content. For example, you will not use, or enable or facilitate the use of, Content on or within any application, platform, site, or service (including social networking sites) that requires you to sublicense or otherwise give any rights in or to any Content to any other person or entity.

1. Alison Graham profile image92
      Alison Grahamposted 3 years ago in reply to this

As a follow up, I contacted Amazon uk and they confirm as follows

I understand your concern in this regard. Let me assist you further.

Yes you'll not use any links on site which you do not own as per section 9 of the operating agreement:

2. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

Whatever. Let HP deal with it. big_smile

3. The Examiner-1 profile image81
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

I would check with HP to be safe but it probably means any 'Contents' related to Amazon or anything which they sell.

working