jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Free Form RP Excercises

1. Eazy_E profile image89
    Eazy_Eposted 3 years ago

As writers we often don't take the time to simply practice our craft in an enjoyable way. Something I grew up doing was called Free Form Role playing. The idea is a group of writers write a collaborative story together ensuring complete control of each other's characters to each participant. If participant 1 created Bob and I created Sue, no matter what I could dictate She's actions and participant 1 could only dictate Bob's actions.

This type of gaming allows for writers to test the waters with their descriptive ability and get live feedback for their writing. Has anyone here ever done anything like this? Does it sound like something anyone would be interested in? Like something that could be a helpful excercise?

1. writinglover profile image84
      writingloverposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I guess I do something of the sort. I write on FanFiction (dot) net and one of my first readers (who has since stuck by me) play a storytelling game, where one person comes up with a story line and then we start acting (so to speak since this is done through private messaging), becoming our fictional characters (Silver and Tails, respectively--part of our usernames on that site). Role playing is so much fun! big_smile

2. Eazy_E profile image89
    Eazy_Eposted 3 years ago

Yeah that's a version of it. I've done that over like AOL instant messaging. Forum RP was my favorite as it allowed for a little lengthier posts.

1. Eazy_E profile image89
      Eazy_Eposted 3 years ago in reply to this

What genre's did you role play in mostly?

3. writinglover profile image84
    writingloverposted 3 years ago

So far, it's crime/action and, now, romance.

4. Eazy_E profile image89
    Eazy_Eposted 3 years ago

I was big into fantasy and Sci - Fi but toward the end I did try my hand at a criminal minds type FBI crime thriller. It was pretty awesome.

working