jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Just another suggestion!

1. sallybea profile image97
    sallybeaposted 2 years ago

Just another Suggestion!
    With the Weekly Hub Challenge nearing the end I thought it would be nice to know what impact it has on the overall site.
    I would like to see all those people who made the top ten each day given recognition for their hard work n the form of an Editor’s Choice award,   I am assuming of course that Editors Choice Hubs are assessed with the same criteria in mind! 
    I may be barking up the wrong tree but it does seem that it makes good economic sense for HubPages staff not to have to read these Hubs twice in order for people to receive an Editor’s Choice Award!
    It has been lovely to follow the progress of writers who have made the top ten each day.  It would be nice to be able to access all the Editors Choice Awards in the same way or would this involve too much work for staff members?   
    Is this something people would like to see happen?
    We don’t yet know what impact the Editors Choice Hubs have really made - if any - on the overall stats of the site.  This remains a mystery but I guess my suggestion would have to be based on whether or not it makes economic sense and whether it would contribute to the overall success of this site.
    What do others think?

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I like your observations and too your suggestions. I must read more on the Editor Choice Award. I received one once, yet I deleted it when I deleted everything. Probably not smart . . . but I erased the chalk board sort to speak.

Is the weekly hub challenge the same as the weekly topic? I do know it has its own topic page here a HP. My thought is it floods the internet market with a same-same topic hopefully thought to be leading toward a trend topic for either short or long term reads. I should probably participate.

I like the idea of 'knowing' the why's and the measurements. That offers a sense of hope for doing and maybe a greater affect with the topic as a group power kinda' than a singular effort.

As said, I dun'no the criteria for an Editor's Choice nor the Weekly Challenge, so I do not fathom a guess to compare those. I hope to learn more reading here at this forum topic to discover with more comments and answers.

Thank you for asking . . .

2. Faith Reaper profile image87
      Faith Reaperposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Excellent suggestions, Sally!  I agree with all of them as they make a lot of sense.  Yes, some kind of acknowledgment on the actual hub that was even in the top ten, and then maybe an accolade for those who actually won the Pot for that day.  I think a hub being chosen in the top ten out of all of the hubs published for that day is close to a HOTD, and should be recognized on the hub.  Great ideas!

sallybeaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Faith Reaper

I appreciate the thumbs up, thanks.

2. old albion profile image76
    old albionposted 2 years ago

I agree with all the above. I have enjoyed this series.

So have I Graham - it has certainly been a motivation for many of us to write more Hubs than we might usually have done.

3. zsobig profile image91
    zsobigposted 2 years ago

The suggestions mentioned before me are good, but to be honest, Editor's Choice hubs are not causing that big of an impact - at least not for me. I have 3 hubs that are Editor's Choice hubs, but only one of these is bringing me more views than a normal, featured hub. It is the one that was HOTD once and it is the most copied hub as well hmm. (Just yesterday I had to file like 30 Copyright infringement complaints/reports to various sites over the internet... I barely think I will manage to get half of them down).
    Anyway, the best thing would be if HP would bring back 'activities'/chances like the Weekly Topic Inspiration gave to us, writers. My above mentioned, popular hub was born thanks to that opportunity, and I still believe that Weekly Topic Inspirations offered an enormous chance for writers to write on topics that are not 'that' well documented on the internet yet, so these articles usually provided their writers a nice number of daily views. And also, these inspirations offered even a title, so the least experienced writers didn't have to try to research a catchy and keywordy (I'm not sure this is a word big_smile) title. I hope you get what I am trying to write here smile.

I definitely get what you are trying to say here.
      I don't have much experience of the Weekly Topic feature as it stopped not long after I began writing here and I believe I only participated once.
      As for Editors Choice Hubs, my top three are currently all Editors Choice Hubs.   I have quite a few more which are scattered throughout my stats.
      Without any stats being given out by HubPages staff regarding their overall success it is difficult to know whether they have been instrumental in bringing more visitors to the site.
      Thank you for your input.