jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Unfeaturing hubs

1. galleryofgrace profile image82
    galleryofgraceposted 2 years ago

I can understand un-featuring hubs with only a couple hundred views but un-featuring a hub with over 4000 views is uncalled for!
    I'm beginning to feel like HP is doing everything in their power to prevent me from reaching 100k.

1. literal profile image59
      literalposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That happened to me and I added more content and basically over-hauled the whole hub; and it came back  featured.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I assume it was unFeatured for lack of engagement?  I agree that's rough.   

I don't know if you were on the forums when Derek and Simone explained why that process was introduced.   He explained that because HubPages was still not recovering from Panda, they had to do something drastic to remove ALL the poor quality Hubs from the site, fast.   The main solution was QAP, but that was going to take time and money.   So unFeaturing was introduced.

The logic behind unFeaturing is that poor-quality Hubs always get low traffic.  So by removing all Hubs that got low traffic, HubPages would remove all poor-quality Hubs.  Unfortunately they would also remove some high quality Hubs on low-searched topics, but in the circumstances, that was collateral damage that couldn't be avoided - they had looked exhaustively at all the alternatives and couldn't see any other affordable way to achieve their goal. 

Based on that explanation, I'd have expected that if a Hub has gone through QAP then it should be exempt from unFeaturing for lack of traffic, so I'm not sure why they haven't thought of doing that.

3. literal profile image59
      literalposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I found this on FAQ

How can I tell HubPages that a Hub deserves to be Featured?
      If you have a Hub that you really think should be re-considered to be Featured, simply edit it to improve its quality and potential to engage with readers. Once edited, your Hub will re-enter the Quality Assessment Process (and thus be re-considered).

If a Hub you published or edited does not get Featured after going through the Quality Assessment Process but is of extremely high caliber (akin to Hubs of the Day), something may have gone wrong. If this happens to you, please let us know about the problem by filling out this form.

I think it's worth pursuing - hopefully the link light up.  Hope this helps, good luck

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
        Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That quote refers to Hubs which have failed the QAP.  If you think it's been failed unjustly, you can appeal.

This particular Hub has been unFeatured for lack of engagement - which simply means it's not getting enough traffic.  There's nothing wrong with it per se.

2. JayFS profile image87
    JayFSposted 2 years ago

Hard times call for extreme measures, unfortunately. Hubpages has had to put in strict guidelines in order to not get in trouble by Google again. If your hub is getting unfeatured then it's probably not receiving any traffic anymore or much traffic. Try to add more content to it, new images, a youtube video, etc. and try getting it featured again. Good luck!

3. LongTimeMother profile image97
    LongTimeMotherposted 2 years ago

If it is well written, galleryofgrace, I believe it should remain featured. But then again, I think hotd should include paragraphs and correct grammar in the summary, so what would I know? smile

4. Kathleen Odenthal profile image94
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 2 years ago

AMEN LongTimeMother! I swear they pull HOTD out of a REALLY random hat!