jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

1. sehrm profile image88
    sehrmposted 2 years ago

Just published (hopefully) my 13th hub - spooky? Stupid? As it also happens, I am sitting near a broken mirror (which fell in the recent CA quake) and my foot is touching a crack (a joint between hardwood -- semantics!). Are you superstitious? Even if you aren't habitually superstitious, do you actively avoid walking under ladders and scheduling luncheons on Friday-the-thirteenths?

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
      DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'll have to check out that hub; right now, it is not showing on your page, although it does indicate you have 13 Hubs.  ...Hmmm...publishing hub # 13 on April 1st....maybe Hub Pages played a trick on you.  LOL

Seriously, though, I don't hold with superstitions; for the most part, they are old-wives' tales, without basis in reason. 
      Walking under a ladder, for example; it is much less likely that a dropped tool will maneuver its way down through and between the rungs to bonk you on the head.  It's far more likely to go off behind or to one side.  Therefore, I would think it's actually safer to walk under the ladder than behind it. 
      A black cat crossed my path?  Oh, I love black cats! "Meaning?"  It would mean the cat was going somewhere, and would eventually arrive, after I stopped to pet it. wink
      Broken mirror?  Comes under "Sh** happens."  has nothing to do with future luck.  ... ... and so forth, for all superstitions...

2. mochirajackson profile image61
      mochirajacksonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

My logical self tells me that superstitions are false,but I always avoid walking under ladders (force of habit!) just in case :-)

3. 0
      sheilamyersposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'm not superstitious. If I did any of the things people say cause "bad luck" and something bad happened, I chalk it up to coincidence. The one didn't cause the other. To put it in a polite way ... stuff happens.

2. lmoyer92 profile image83
    lmoyer92posted 2 years ago

When I was younger, I avoided stepping on cracks so I wouldn't be responsible for my mother's impending doom if I stepped on any. But aside from that, I've never really been very superstitious.

3. sehrm profile image88
    sehrmposted 2 years ago

Haha good answer! Yes, the 13th hub ~woOooOo~ should pop up in an hour or so once QA approves it.

4. lmoyer92 profile image83
    lmoyer92posted 2 years ago

Glad you thought so ;D I'll be sure to read the hub when it's approved

5. sehrm profile image88
    sehrmposted 2 years ago

Oops! I was actually responding to Ms Lizzy and submitted it before I saw your response. For some reason, I, too, still avoid cracks -- perhaps it is simply crystallized folklore (but sometimes I feel it is more obsessive-compulsive behavior).

6. Kathleen Odenthal profile image94
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 2 years ago

love this! i use to be very superstitious but now i only have one or two

7. aware profile image70
    awareposted 2 years ago

I work construction . We build highrises. We walk under ladders every day never has it resulted in bad luck. But  of the over a dozen highrises Ive worked on not one has had the 13th floor marked as the 13th floor. Even in the elevators . The numbers go from 12 to 14.