jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (16 posts)

New Category Needed - Lapidary

1. Suzanne Day profile image95
    Suzanne Dayposted 2 years ago

Hi, I am starting some lapidary hubs and feel they don't fit properly anywhere else. Can we start a lapidary category?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hi Suzanne,

Great suggestion! I'll create one within the next couple of days. smile

Suzanne Dayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

A good name for this would be "Lapidary, Fossicking & Gemstones" as it will encompass all areas of lapidary. I look forward to contributing quite a number of hubs here over the next year as it is one of my hobbies I will be hubbing about!

PS - Already started writing one, but can I change the hub's category to this when you create it?

Yep, you can always recategorize existing Hubs later.

OK good. Just thought some more about the category. Probably the most technically correct name would be "Lapidary, Fossicking, Gems & Minerals" to cover all bases. It would be in the hobby/craft section somewhere.

Hi Suzanne,

First of all, thanks for the neat opportunity to learn a little bit about lapidary. I'm a huge fan of cameos, but I never knew the name of the type of craftsmanship they represented. Very cool!

Looking more at the structure of other craft topics, I think it will make more sense to make Lapidary the more general umbrella Topic and add more specific niche subtopics (such as gems, minerals, etc) to it as it becomes full.

Anyway, you can find the new topic under Arts and Design>Crafts & Handiwork>Stonework>Lapidary. Please feel free to start adding Hubs to it immediately. Once it has 5+ Featured Hubs in it, it will automatically get its own Topic Page. smile

OK, thanks Christy. I notice if you search Hubpages under "tumbled stones" a number of hubs come up which would be classified as lapidary. I will add mine too.

PS - did you want me to make a list of the lapidary hubs for you? Or is it up to individual authors to put it in the new category?

2. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Suzanne. I have an interest with crystalology and adventuring on treasure hunts. I may in the future add to this category. Nice!

And, thank you Christy!

Feel free to add, we need more in there.

2. Suzanne Day profile image95
    Suzanne Dayposted 2 years ago

Hi, bumping this. Lapidary category still needs one more hub, may take me a bit longer to get there as need to go out fossicking and write one sometime in the next 2 months.

Looked today for stonework category and it seems to have vanished???

Hi Suzanne,

The threshold for a new Topic Page to show up has recently been changed from 5 to 20 Hubs. We've determined that a topic with more Hubs in it is a much better user experience for a reader trying to browse that subject. Sorry for the confusion!

That's OK, we'll get there.

working