How long does it take you to write a hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (22 posts)
  1. deecoleworld profile image73
    deecoleworldposted 9 years ago

How long does it take you to write a hub?
    How long does it take you to edit/publish a hub?
    Do you plan your ideas out? or go where your mind takes you?

1. mathira profile image76
      mathiraposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It takes me half an hour to write a hub. I decide on the topic beforehand so that I do not waste time thinking about what to write. The idea for the title comes anytime and I write it down in a paper so that I do not forget it. Then I write a rough sketch without bothering about sentence formation, logic or grammar. Then I move away from the place. I return a few hours later and chisel it to perfection and then publish my hub.

2. profile image0
      Beth37posted 9 years agoin reply to this

15 minutes when Im really trying, and I believe my efforts are reflected in my finished work.

1. Solaras profile image94
        Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

LOL

2. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

~Depending on the type of hub, it can take several hours to a few days. I may stop and start as life goes on, as well as need for sleep.
    ~I edit as I go, always changing something, adding more, as I create the capsules. The final product never looks like what I have in my Word file, which is where I start.
    ~I plan the format of an idea, mostly in my head; I'm definitely a "where my mind takes me" type of writer. Most of the time I don't even know what the next sentence will be when I write a paragraph. That applies to an informational article as well as poetry.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

As janshares says, it depends on the type of Hub. Which can make it several hours to several days.

I first type it on Word which helps me with the editing but I still proofread it again (and again) on HP before I publish. How long? It depends on interruptions.

Ideas come to me (I may get new ones before I finish a Hub). I have a list that I choose from - if I do not get others. Then I plan how to write them.

4. hellovictoria profile image93
    hellovictoriaposted 9 years ago

My recipe hubs don't take me very long to write - usually between 30 and 40 minutes (that's not including the time it takes to actually make the recipe so I can get the pictures taken).
    However, my home DIY hubs can take a very long time to write, depending on the DIY project. I have a lot of very involved projects that I am working on currently, so they are taking me several days and hours to write as I have to jot down steps and advice as I go. My hub on how to restain a coffee table took almost a week to write - and my next really involved hub, reuphostering a couch, is probably going to take about that long as well.

Editing can be another ball game - but as stated above, the recipes will tend to not take very long while the home DIY hubs can take a really long time to edit. I also do what The Examiner-1 does, and write my home DIY's out in Word first, then copy/paste them into a new hub and work on the formatting there.

I would say that I plan my ideas out - mainly because what I like to write about includes step-by-step tutorials, and I definitely want to make sure my readers are able to follow my steps with no issues.

5. eedlynxchasoakai profile image60
    eedlynxchasoakaiposted 9 years ago

well i have not start on that but i  think maybe about 10 mins

6. Millionaire Tips profile image93
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

I know that it is possible to write a hub in 10 minutes because I actually attempted to do that once, although I did think about the topic and general idea before I started the timer.  It wasn't a quality hub though, and I wound up deleting it.

Most of my hubs take 4-6 hours, although I have a few that took as little as 2.  It takes time to think of the idea, do some SEO research, think about the layout, find the images, videos, Amazon capsules, etc., actually write the article, correct the spelling and grammar my software tells me to correct, then re-read it to make sure it all makes sense, and make more corrections and improvements. I don't usually spend all 4-6 hours at one sitting - I work on it over a course of several days, sometimes even months.

Then I have a lot of hubs that include step-by-step directions, which involve having to actually make whatever it is I am making and taking photos along the way that take a lot longer.

7. Barbara Kay profile image74
    Barbara Kayposted 9 years ago

The old saying goes "You get out of it what you put into it." If you are only spending a few minutes on a hub, it will probably not earn you anything in the end.

I have hubs that took just a little time to write and ones that took a few days to finish. The ones that only took minutes to write have since been deleted because they didn't go anywhere.

8. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 9 years ago

A Hub can take me three hours to a few weeks to complete.
    I write some, add to it and revise,revise, and revise before finally submitting it.
    The I find something I overlooked after it's online.

wink

9. Solaras profile image94
    Solarasposted 9 years ago

One day minimum, sometimes 3 days, and then there are those that take months.  I lose interest, then finally go back to it as only one or two paragraphs was required to complete it.

1. profile image0

Holy cow. I need to go read your work.

1. Solaras profile image94
        Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am a slow reader and writer lol!  Read the Guilty Dog one - that took 2.5 days, mostly because I was not sure where I was headed with it, and had to keep doing research to figure out where I was going.  I think it is evident when you read it - you get to spend 2.5 days inside my mind in 10 minutes. lol.

1. profile image0

The longest Ive spent on one was my statistics hub and as much as I like that hub, I didn't enjoy writing it. Too much research.

10. caitlinsadvice profile image71
    caitlinsadviceposted 9 years ago

My hubs can take me up to a week to write. Min for me is 3days. I believe its quaility rather than quanity that counts when writing hubs smile

Your hubs look awsome tho keep up the good work.

1. deecoleworld profile image73
      deecoleworldposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's soo true quality over quantity is the best route to take. Thanks for sharing!!!

11. JesseH profile image60
    JesseHposted 9 years ago

I am a freelance writer but spend have spent a bit of recent free time on hubpages. I only have 3 so far but I believe they are well done, I probably spent a total of an hour or two on each all together. This time was split up throughout the day, though.

1. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It can take me several days mostly because I write quite a few Tutorial Hubs which require images and sometimes videos to go with them.

1. ologsinquito profile image82
        ologsinquitoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It probably takes a good three to four hours, if I sat down and didn't get up until it was finished. I tend to write the text in one sitting, and then go back and add different modules.

12. warchild75 profile image65
    warchild75posted 9 years ago

It does certainly Vary slightly, If Its about a topic I know a lot about such as Gaming then it can all be done in around 2 hours, Or If I have to research then it could be a few days at around 2 hours a day.

13. Chinaimport profile image79
    Chinaimportposted 9 years ago

I write about the topics that I know well.  It generally takes a few hours to do some research before I actually write down first draft followed by a coffee break and finally putting together all parts of the hub.  I prefer to use pictures taken by me which is the most time consuming part of publishing a hub. 

Some of my potentially good hubs are buried in iCloud for the want of good pictures.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)