jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)

"Safe" photos of movie stars...???

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

I need a photo of Harrison Ford for a hub, and I begin my search with the phrase, "public domain photos of..."

However, the ones that come up claiming to be on PD sites are, in fact, questionable for use, as once the image comes up, it does say, "May be subject to copyright,"   or points to another blog or article where someone else has used the photo...and then there is no way to tell if they used it legally.

So, is there a good site where you can get legal-to-use photos of assorted stars?

2. Kathleen Odenthal profile image94
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 2 years ago

hm, I would keep looking before going with that image. Im sure one is out there and it is probably worth the time spent searching rather than dealing with a possible copyright issue

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
      DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Oh, I'm NOT going with that image...hence my question here! ;-)

3. SmartAndFun profile image90
    SmartAndFunposted 2 years ago

A few times I have used Flickr Creative Commons and found some celebrity photos that were legal to use. They were taken by average people who happened to have access to a red carpet event, or maybe attended a luncheon or a live show and were able to take photos. There are not too many to choose from, but for use on another site (not HP) I was able to get some fairly good photos of Mila Kunis, Jennifer Anniston and John Cena, all taken by non-pros who have Flickr CC accounts.

4. Mark Lees profile image86
    Mark Leesposted 2 years ago

I would use Google images and go to settings > advanced search > usage rights, and then set them to free to use commercially.

You will not get many hits back but nine times out of ten I find something usable - often from an international version of Wikipedia, but beggars can't (entirely) be choosers, hey!

5. Helena Ricketts profile image95
    Helena Rickettsposted 2 years ago

Wikimedia but be sure to double check the license.

There's a ton of them on there and they SHOULD be either Public Domain or licensed for use.

6. LCDWriter profile image94
    LCDWriterposted 2 years ago

Wikimedia Commons has photos of lots of celebrities.

7. RonElFran profile image97
    RonElFranposted 2 years ago

I did a quick search on Google's Advanced Image Search (http://www.google.com/advanced_image_search), selecting "free to use or share, even commercially" as the usage right. There were several Harrison Ford pics from Wikipedia, among others. All Wikipedia/Wikimedia photos specify licensing. Interestingly, one of the Wikipedia photos was originally uploaded from Flickr under a Creative Commons license. The have the following note:

"When this file was uploaded to Wikimedia Commons, it was available from Flickr under the stated license. The Flickr user has since stopped distributing the file under this license. As Creative Commons licenses cannot be revoked in this manner, the file is still free to use under the terms of the license specified."

It seems to me that if someone posts an image under a particular copyright license, they implicitly assert a claim to own the rights to that image. There's no way we as users can be responsible for deciding whether that claim is valid. So, I think that if we respect the rights asserted, and properly attribute, we're on solid copyright ground.

8. FlourishAnyway profile image95
    FlourishAnywayposted 2 years ago

Here's an attractive one on Wikimedia Commons http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: … al-01.jpg.  And here is another one of him alone http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: … d_2011.jpg

9. brakel2 profile image88
    brakel2posted 2 years ago via iphone

I found all my celebrity photos on Wikimedia Commons. One wasn't too clear, but I used it anyway. Some are in the public domain.

10. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

Many thanks, folks for all your help.  I was finally able, with your suggestions, to find the photos I needed for my movie review. 
    Just published--it's a review of the movie "Ender's Game."