jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

How do you learn what you are doing wrong ? should you care?

1. Rebecca Furtado profile image78
    Rebecca Furtadoposted 2 years ago

The one thing that irks me about Hubpages is a lack of practical feedback. I love everything else. I love the tools we have to create hubs. I think mine look acceptable, but I am not sure if  I am doing something wrong.
    Part of me just enjoys putting together the posts. Yet, I am out of work and need to generate some income. I have read the basics on how to create hubs and feel I follow them. Still I do not get much traffic.

1. 0
      Beth37posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Do you use FB or Twitter? These aren't ways to generate google traffic, but you can bring in readers and that is a start.

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
        Barbara Kayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Don't forget to pin them at Pinterest. It brings a lot of traffic for me anyways. There are several hubs here about how to do it if you don't know how.

2. SpaceShanty profile image92
      SpaceShantyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I agree with Helena.
      People use Google to find answers so you need to re-word some of your titles so they are simliar to what people will type into Google but still make sense.

For instance your Hub 'The Social Influence of the Victorian Women'
      could be re-worded 'How Did  Victorian Women Influence Soceity?'

Another tip is to type in your main keywords into Google and then look at related searches at the bottom of the page as this is actually what people are typing in.  Also include these keywords and phrases into your Hub.

When I typed in your main keywords 'Social Influence Victorian Women' at the bottom of the page I got these results;

victorian women social status

victorian era social classes

victorian era social customs

victorian era social events

After you tweek your Hub with these keywords it will take a few weeks for them to take effect so don't get discouraged if you don't see a spike in views the next day, just keep tweeking and by the time you work your way through all your poor performing Hubs you should see some good results.

2. Helena Ricketts profile image95
    Helena Rickettsposted 2 years ago

Hello fellow Hoosier!  smile

You can get feedback on here.  You just have to ask for it. 

I looked at one of your hubs and they layout was fantastic.  I'm really big on the visual because it keeps people reading.  The only thing that I can think of to suggest to you is that if you want traffic from Google (and you do, believe me, you really do) to change some of your titles.  Writing online is not like writing for print so catchy titles, although cool and clever as heck, will not get search engine traffic. 

For example, "Moving with Our Furry and Feathered Friends."  No one is going to Google using the words furry friend or feathered friend when looking for advice on how to move with a dog or a bird.  That title needs to be something like "Tips for Moving with Your Dog or Bird" or something along that line.  You have quite a few titles that are like that.  Change those to titles that are direct and to the point and your search engine traffic should improve.

Good luck!  smile

3. Rebecca Furtado profile image78
    Rebecca Furtadoposted 2 years ago

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will be tweaking my titles. I really did not understand the concept of key words , now I have a much better Idea of what I am going after .
    Again, thanks for all the help.

1. LeanMan profile image82
      LeanManposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Make use of the Google keyword tool also and you will be able to see what sort of traffic your keywords are likely to attract if you get to the top of the page with Google. Many of the titles / keywords that you have used really are not going to attract traffic as they are not search friendly and search is where you want your traffic to come from

You can see what people did search for when they found your hub by the way by clicking the "stats" button at the top of your hub when you view it.. This will provide you with a lot of feedback including the search terms that people used to find your hubs.

4. csmiravite-blogs profile image87
    csmiravite-blogsposted 2 years ago

Oh thanks for this thread since,  I am bothered by seeing a lot of nicely written articles but with very little traffic, mine included. It really makes sense to come up with Google friendly titles and SEO writing to make it search friendly.

5. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 2 years ago

Hubs can take two to three years to "mature," meaning reaching their peak reach for audience and traffic.  If you need income fast, writing Hubs is not the way to go.

6. misslong123 profile image95
    misslong123posted 2 years ago via iphone

Read about social networking and SEO. Study successful writers like billybuc (most of his articles are about writing) and relache. There are tons more. See who they follow. Study the learning center and those who win the hub of the day. Market your article. There are tons of hubs about how to be successful on here. I've written a few with links to some of the best writers on here. You can learn what you are doing wrong by studying those experts. Scores go up and down on the hubs themselves and I'm still not sure I understand that. My highest traffic ones are some of my lowest scoring ones. Go figure. To learn about how hubpages scores your hubs read the learning centers guidelines. Good luck my friend!