jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (21 posts)

Would you like the option to add an image when you leave a comment.?

1. sallybea profile image97
    sallybeaposted 2 years ago

A guest user commenting on one of my Hubs/  They wanted to cut and paste an image with their comment after they had successfully completed one of my Wet Felting Tutorials. They commented that they did not have this option!    It would have been nice for me to see how her project came out.

Is this option something HubPages might consider,  even if this option is only available on Craft Hubs?

Sallybea

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

I invite people to send pictures of the things I am hubbing about that I can post with a link back to them.  You might try that?

sallybeaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

How would they send them?   The person that requested this option was a guest writer, not a HubPages Member.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image83
        The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago in reply to this

What about having the photo on their computer first and then sending it, or copy/pasting it, to the comment capsule.

They had the image on their computer - it seems you cannot copy or paste it to the comment capsule at present.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image77
            Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yes, images are not currently supported as part of comments, but a person could upload an image to a service like Google+, Flickr, etc. and then share the URL with their text comment.

Thank you Matthew but in this case I do not know the person as she was a guest user.  They would never think of finding me on Flickr or Google and were visiting the Hub in order to learn how to wet felt a bird pod.   The comment was directly related to the Hub as was the image they wished to share with me.  It contributed to it's usefulness of the Hub because they had made a bird pod and had taken a photo of it to share.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image77
                Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Sorry, I didn't explain that very well sad  "Share" was a bad word choice.
                The user could upload the image to IMGUR.com and then put that link in the comment.  You would not need to know them or connect to them on any Social Media platform. 

Example
                http://imgur.com/84NeBlB

Interesting, I have never heard of imgur before..  i think it most unlikely that the user would have either.  I guess I was curious enough to see if there might be a call for such an option - perhaps not!  I seem to recall that it is possible to do this in the forum threads.  Thanks for your input Matthew.

1. Faith Reaper profile image87
                    Faith Reaperposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I see images in forums all the time.  However, you could ask her to send you an email with the photo attached?  Then you can incorporate her actual photo in a photo capsule on your hub and add more text to explain to readers ... here is someone who tried my project!

2. Jason Marovich profile image88
                  Jason Marovichposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I prefer this method.  I wouldn't like to have to disallow comments because of bad images or images that have nothing to do with the hub or the comment being made.  I often scratch my head at the image others associate with their forum post.

Good comment, I agree that I would not like images which were unrelated to a content of a hub but I imagine that one could vet it first in the same way that you can currently as with an inappropriate or spam comment.

2. tsmog profile image84
                    tsmogposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I agree. Monitoring images at comments would take away from the commenting process. Besides I don't see HP giving up that much space for an image. I think it would be a small thumbnail image like our profile pic. Too much effort clicking to enlarge to assure it is an appropriate image. Too much programming I would presume for monitoring comment images by the HP system too for quality assurance.

That opens to more complications too. Do you monitor the comment as a whole and not allow it or do you disallow only the image?

2. psycheskinner profile image80
        psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I list an email for that purpose.

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

His point is  that they could put the picture on their Flikr and link to it in the comment,

I can see the downside of blanket allowing pictured as spammers could out objectionable pictures on hub where comments are not manually checked.

I completely agree - it would  not work unless one could disallow the image before it were published on a Hub.

4. misslong123 profile image92
    misslong123posted 2 years ago via iphone

Yes. I think it would be nice to at least have the option but so many writers today don't use original or free images so I think it could be detrimental to the hub itself. I also think people could abuse this. I would think a pic should only be added to a comment if it adds value to the hub. Perhaps the author of the hub could monitor this and decide which comments he or she wishes to share on his or her hub.

working