jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Excited and overwhelmed

1. DeoMor profile image81
    DeoMorposted 2 years ago

I posted my first hub today and received a score of 74.  What does that mean?
    What does it mean to be 'in the spotlight'? 

I joined yesterday and have been reading extensively but there is so much that you can get in when the juices to write and publish are pumping high.  I need direction

1. 0
      sheilamyersposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Welcome and congrats on publishing your first hub. Most people will tell you to follow the guidelines for producing a "stellar" hub and you're assigned score upon publication will be higher. I don't know if that's true or not because I always follow the guidelines and a lot of my hubs start out with low scores. I'm happy any time I get above a 70. That score will fluctuate and more than likely will get much higher as people read your hub, leave comments, etc.

DeoMorposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks!  I am more of the radical when it comes to following the norm.  I skipped that part of the tutorial because I dont want to acquire any prescribed style.  Its an encouragement though based on what you have said so I'll stick to my style.  Happy hubbing.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The score doesn't mean a whole lot, to be honest.  It tells you that HubPages thinks your Hub is good quality, but it doesn't tell you anything about whether that Hub will be financially successful or not.

I'm not sure what "in the spotlight" means either!   Do you mean Featured?  It's a bit of a misnomer really - Featured just means normal!   

Not sure how much you know yet, so here's a quick overview of the Featured/Unfeatured process.

If you want to make money from your Hubs, you need thousands of views (you earn between $2 and $5 per thousand), and the only way to do that is to attract visitors searching on Google, Bing and Yahoo!   These search engines have automated systems (called bots) that scour the internet looking for answers to searchers' questions.   So although you must write interesting, informative Hubs to please your readers, first and foremost you must please the search engines - otherwise those readers will never get to see them in the first place!

So, the success or failure of a site rests on whether or not they please Google.  HubPages does this by hiding Hubs it thinks may not please Google.   If your Hub is Featured, it's visible to the search engines bots.   If your Hub is unFeatured, your friends and other Hubbers can still read it if you send them the link, but it's invisible to the search engine bots and therefore can't get traffic from them.

Very informative.  Thanks.  I'll therefore stick to the style of my first hub in the hope the bots will have an affinity to my hubs.

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 2 years ago
  3. Millionaire Tips profile image89
    Millionaire Tipsposted 2 years ago

Welcome to HubPages! 

It is important for you to write high quality hubs, and scores are one indication of whether your hubs are high quality.  The higher the better.  Your score is fine, but as you get more practice, you will want to work on getting the scores above 85.

The spotlight shows up on your profile after you have written a certain number of hubs. You get to choose which hubs to add to the spotlight.

4. DeoMor profile image81
    DeoMorposted 2 years ago

Thanks much for that response.

5. einron profile image84
    einronposted 2 years ago

Congratulations on your first hub.  May there be many more to follow.  74 means the article is considered good.  A score of 75 and above will be excellent.

Thanks Eiron.  I'll improve on the standard.

6. tamron profile image61
    tamronposted 2 years ago

Welcome to Hubpages!  Don't try to learn everything in one day there is lots to learn.  Have fun!

Smile.  Advice taken.  Thanks!