jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (16 posts)

Has anyone downloaded images lately from Flickr.com?

1. DrMark1961 profile image90
    DrMark1961posted 2 years ago

I have not been able to download images, even though they are creative commons and available for commercial use.
    Has anyone else had problems with that site recently? Am I doing something wrong?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

They've probably changed the download method - again.    They mess around with it every now and then!   

How are you trying to download?

DrMark1961posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hi Marisa
        I am searching for images of a dog breed from Hungary, called the Puli. There are a lot available under creative commons/commercial use, but when I enlarge the image and right click on it I am no longer able to select an image, do not see the selection for "copy this link" (or whatever it is in English).
        This site used to be great and I have a lot of images saved on my computer, but, as you mentioned, everytime they mess with it they seem to make it worse. There are plenty of dogs available in the wikimedia commons files but I like the candid shots under Flickr.
        Thanks for looking at this!

1. RachaelOhalloran profile image92
          RachaelOhalloranposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I have had that problem with images that are CC. They seem to have right click disabled and download doesn't work any better. Yet they still have CC on the image use.  I have remedied this by clicking "search by image" to see if it is posted on Pinterest or another photo site just so I can get a copy of the image. Then when I use it, I link it back to flickr who has the original ownership. I do this only when I can't get to the flickr image because of glitches like you cite. Otherwise, I just go look for another image altogether. lol

Hi Rachel, thanks. Try that solution suggested by Space Shanty. I just did, and it worked!!

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
          Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hmm, I see the problem.  Looks like you can't hotlink any more.   

You can still use them by clicking the three little dots and selecting "download all sizes".  Save it to your computer then upload it to HubPages.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image81
            LuisEGonzalezposted 2 years ago in reply to this

To follow on Marisa's post, make sure that after you download, go to copyright to make sure it is free to use and what is required (credit,non-derivative...etc) and then click on the author's name, then copy the name ( if you want to give credit /link)

2. SpaceShanty profile image93
      SpaceShantyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I used it today without any problems, when viewing the image, click on the symbol on the right hand side which is three circles in a row, then you get a dropdown menu of sorts with 'Download/All sizes' in it. Click on that and you get a list of sizes, select size and then click download button.

Thanks Space Shanty! I dont know why they had to change it on us and make it harder to find, but that was it. I just downloaded the Puli image I wanted for my next hub!
        Obrigado. (Thank you)

1. SpaceShanty profile image93
          SpaceShantyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

De Nada

2. rmcrayne profile image95
        rmcrayneposted 2 years ago in reply to this

For me, browser made a difference too.  I had problems with Chrome, but was able to download and save with Explorer.

I keep getting an error message with Firefox, so I think I am going to try Explorer too

1. Jean Bakula profile image95
            Jean Bakulaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I have trouble with Explorer, though I don't write much here anymore, I do fix up old hubs. I have to use Google Chrome to be able to write in the text capsules and get pictures on my later hubs.

2. Bob Bamberg profile image93
            Bob Bambergposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I use Firefox, Doc, and am successful using it the way SpaceShanty described.  I last used it on the 16th.

Hi Bob!
              It worked a few times the way he described, but then stopped. I wonder if it is my slow internet connection. I am hoping things will get back to  normal after Easter.
              Or not. Who knows?

2. SarahCristineMann profile image60
    SarahCristineMannposted 2 years ago

Hi guys,
    It's the same thing that happened to me i could not download images, there is something wrong with flicker today, hope it will be okay soon.

working