jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (15 posts)

Are Ebay/Amazon even worth it anymore?

1. kenyaentrepreneur profile image81
    kenyaentrepreneurposted 2 years ago

I never get sales from these anymore. Should I just delete them so that it makes the adsense ads more enticing?

2. lmoyer92 profile image83
    lmoyer92posted 2 years ago

I wouldn't recommend it. Just because you aren't making sales doesn't mean you should get rid of them. Sometimes there's dry spells that last weeks. Give it some time

3. janshares profile image88
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

I second, lmoyer92. I felt the same about not getting any Amazon sales for a long time then I got one with the new ad program. Over the last few weeks, more sales came, to my surprise. No eBay, only Amazon. Hang in there, be patient, don't delete.

4. DrMark1961 profile image91
    DrMark1961posted 2 years ago

Most of my hubs are like yours, in that they provide information but are not really geared towards sales. I only make a few sales per month, but, since the new Amazon program includes that in your Paypal total, it is worth leaving them.
    The ebay program is a waste of time. If you still have any ebay capsules, you are probably never going to make anything off of them. The new ebay program requires that even if someone clicks on your ads, they must make a purchase within 24 hours to even count towards your total.
    Since the new ebay program started several months ago I have not made a cent from them. I am deleting them all from my pages as I get around to it.

5. Alphadogg16 profile image88
    Alphadogg16posted 2 years ago

Just like DrMark, my hubs aren't really geared for sales, I get a couple a month. So I would say leave them.i haven't made anything off eBay either & when I'm updating hubs I just remove them.

6. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago

DrMark is right about the eBay program.  However the Amazon program can still work, and in fact it pays more under the new scheme.

The thing is, though, that to earn from Amazon you must be clever with your placement of capsules and your choice of products.  The bottom line is:

- If you can find a product that will help your reader, it will sell, even in "non-sales" Hubs. 

- If you can't find a product that will help your reader, don't use an Amazon capsule because it will only distract your reader from clicking on other Hubs or other ads, so it will count against you.

7. kenyaentrepreneur profile image81
    kenyaentrepreneurposted 2 years ago

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I get Amazon clicks every day but I don't have a reported sale in many, many months.

1. Barbara Kay profile image85
      Barbara Kayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Same here. I got one in February. Just one.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image93
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 years ago in reply to this

My first two years I never sold a thing, but since I became more proactive, I've been getting small sales regularly.  Although they are not making me rich, they are helping me to reach payout.  I was amazed when this started happening and am hoping it continues!

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That tells you that yes, you're definitely doing something wrong.  People are looking at what you recommend and deciding that no, it's not useful to them.  Take a look at the products you're featuring and see if you can find something better.

8. LuisEGonzalez profile image80
    LuisEGonzalezposted 2 years ago

I too have deleted most (if not all) of the Ebay capsules. Amazon sales are quite low, or slow I should say  so I still leave them on.

9. Melinda Longoria profile image88
    Melinda Longoriaposted 2 years ago

My Amazon sales have increase to the proportion of hubs that I add. I've never made a sale on any eBay capsules.

10. William15 profile image86
    William15posted 2 years ago

I think it can still be worth it, but they are admittedly largely unsuccessful. It only takes a few sales for it to be worth your time, however.

11. Jacob J Morris profile image96
    Jacob J Morrisposted 2 years ago

Absolutely, it's worth it!

12. truelivingorganic profile image61
    truelivingorganicposted 2 years ago

I sell soil and for my first year of business I sold through Amazon and My website. Amazon I was quickly one of the #1 Sellers in the Fertilizer and Soils categories. My thought behind using Amazon was to gain exposure for there 15% cut of the sale. I would offer each customer a $5.00 gift certificate or some coupon code to purchase next time from my site. And it worked well. But on Amazon in my first year I had over $22,000.00 in sales but after the 15% fees and the $40.00 monthly store fee I made on the $22,000.00 a little over $800. Amazon is only worth it if you have a product that is fairly cheap to ship and manufacture. If you don't have a good margin with Amazon the work is not worth the rewards.

Ebay is even worse. I tried ebay for about a week and in my first week I sold approximately $400 in products and in that week I had accumulated over $75.00 in fees. That is absolutely ridiculous. Besides most people shopping on ebay expect a product to either be fake, cheap, or a collectible of some kind, and because of this many buyers on ebay are quick to accuse a seller of selling a fake product no matter if its' fake or not and eBay will allow the buyer to shut down a business off one accusation. I have personally experienced this years ago when I was selling cosmetics online and there is many horror stories of ebay sellers getting screwed by one buyer and then Paypal will hold your money for 6 Months minimum and they will try to hold it longer because of an eBay buyer making the accusations.

Amazon is only good for people needing to help make a brand, have a high margin or are willing to take the 15% loss on each sale and they will take 15% from the shipping charges as well. Amazon even taking the 15% of your sales and all there other business ventures lost Millions of dollars last quarter. Because of this the only thing that will happen with them is to continue raising there fees until they are on par with eBay.

eBay absolutely not worth a dime.