Follow up My low score is ruining my life from 4 mos ago. it still is!

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (86 posts)
  1. Dan W Miller profile image73
    Dan W Millerposted 9 years ago

http://x.hubpages.com/x/hubpages_120-60.gif produces: anxiety!

C'mon, Hubpages! I've been a good boy. I've improved my hubs. I've been "awarded" a Level 2 Commentator (oh joy.) My personal story of near death and survival is consistently coming up TWICE (original hub and five year follow up) in Google search on page one out of over 80 pages.
    I've stopped joshing you saying you only favor "how to instructional" hubs on "exciting" subjects like baking and crochet (hmm, although you DID just feature a hub on... HOW TO CROCHET knit cat hats!) and totally snub human interest and comedy hubs. (I may have to start up again, it seems.)
    I've helped people's lives with my personal HUMAN INTEREST STORY on SJS world-wide. (I doubt instructions on how to create a knitted kitty hat could do THAT!)
    Now, can I PLEASE have a few numbers added to my score, for cryin' out loud?!
    Then maybe I can actually BE ENCOURAGED to write and not SCARED TO DEATH  to ATTEMPT to write a hub and possibly (well, the way you grade me, most likely) bring my score down no matter what I write. You see, that way I won't have this inclination to just ELIMINATE my lowest scored hubs to fall into your "Bell Curve" of average scoring and appear as though I know just a little bit of what I'm doing. I've done this with three other hubs. Just threw them out. Sad. Very sad , indeed.
    After all, the general public LOVES me. Why can't you, at least TRY to learn to like me?
    I didn't win "Funniest male" 2011 as voted from the THOUSANDS on facebook by using sign language! The main mode of communication is via THE WRITTEN WORD! So THEY think I write pretty decently. The general and Hub community think so too. Time to loosen up and "get with the program!"
    So please raise my score ALREADY so I can continue to sing praises about the swell people that run HubPages and "sell" you to the general public so that you too may benefit.
    Have you seen my "numbers" of people, followers, facebook friends, fans and my impact on the social media? On a personal basis, let's see YOUR'S, yes YOU reading this, how minute your's is to mine. Yeah, I thought so. Consider that as a "selling point." ME... your selling point! Keep the customer/employee happy and EVERY ONE is happy. Simple economics and logic... and just plain being NICE to someone, for God's sake! Gee whiz!
    THAT WAY I can consider attempting to WRITE A HUB and not be afraid when (not "if" but "WHEN") you pan it, tear it to shreds, make me feel like an idiot and put me back into a deep depression like what "tends" to happen whenever I submit my gem that will just be another "dog" to you.
    But hey, at least I'll be back writing, right? Is that not what this is all about? Being confident enough to write, share to the public and enlighten one's soul be it the person writing it or the person reading it!
    NOW BUMP THAT SCORE UP, for cryin' out loud! Oh, please and thank you. I'm not going to "volunteer" to wash your cars for bribery tactics, OK?

note: since it's obvious the HubPages "star chamber" seemingly lacks enough sense of humor to enjoy my writing and is also never amused by my candor, this was all written with tongue placed firmly in cheek. (That means don't take it too seriously. )
    But seriously, please give me my well deserved extra few points added to a score that SHOULD belong to a high school journalism student because I am deeply offended, thoroughly embarrassed, disgusted and just really pissed off with "my number." Just deplorable!

Thank you,
    Dan Miller "The Vanilla Godzilla"

note:
    You should really Google my name and nickname and attach SJS or Stevens-Johnson Syndrome to it and see what good I'm doing the world. A lot better than someone showing how to make killer-good brownies, that's for sure!  Although, yes that's important too. Never saved a life though. Just saying.

note to note:
    Right now I'm thinking of converting this masterpiece into a facebook note so that they can all see what HubPages is about, help in their decision making if to join or not and so they can also see a REAL struggling writer... struggling with his "supportive" writer's web site.
    What do you think? "Let us hear your feedback" as you say.
    This is where it could be crucial to just find it in your heart to just "do the right thing," Hubpages. Being nice is nice and has it's own benefits.
    Of course, but if I'm kicked off for my whimsical approach rather than in a rant, that may not bode too well for my selling point to the public and would pretty much speak volumes for itself without even my input or opinion.   
    I'm anxiously awaiting your opinion and "bump up" before I copy and paste into facebook note form. Then perhaps I could NOT post it at all or possibly insert more positive SELLING POINTS into it before I present it on 'public.'

Thank you for all you've done to me... er FOR me, I meant to print. For me.
    Happy Easter Sunday morning.  - "He has Risen from the dead." Get it?

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8899495_f248.jpg
    I know. I'm about as subtle as Godzilla.  hmm

1. cfin profile image64
      cfinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The only thing that raises my score one point at a time is writing a new hub. See, hubpages is a company after all and for profit. Therefore, they need us to write more for them to get more money. Thus, the whole hub score thing is really only based on how many hubs you have written recently and sometimes if you get a popular question.

1. profile image0
        temptor94posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for this information. I joined yesterday, brand new to Hubpages, published one hub and I was wondering why my profile score has no relation to my Hub's score.

2. Mark Johann profile image61
      Mark Johannposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hubscore I believe doesn't affect the traffic you get daily so why worry?

2. Dale Hyde profile image80
    Dale Hydeposted 9 years ago

Hate to hear that a low score is ruining one's life.  Perhaps there is a message to you in that title, lol. smile  Hang in there.

1. easylearningweb profile image84
      easylearningwebposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I say "Don't sweat the small stuff", and be happy with your accomplishments! I tend to be a "pollyanna" and being optimistic definitely helps. :-)

Keep on writing!

Regards,
      Easylearningweb

Dan W Millerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That was a nice thing to say. I am over it now. Some things one just has NO CONTROL over. thx ~ D.

3. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

Stop worrying about your score - it really means nothing outside of HP for your style of writing.

A large chunk of what makes up your score is believed to come from your traffic - if you get some your score will improve..

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That ^

Scores don't BRING money and traffic, they're generally a result of them (well, not always the money.)

4. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

Dan, don't think your hubs score has any bearing on your writing ability or quality of your hubs. I have read a couple and they are interesting, funny, well written...overall great. I used to worry about my score, but now it doesn't worry me as long as all my hubs stay high enough to remain featured. I have about 115 hubs and plenty of followers who say my writing is good, and I have trouble getting my score over 88. I don't write 'how to' or 'recipe' hubs either so I don't expect my score to rise higher. But I' m not here to make money, just to keep improving my writing and to provide interesting reading for my followers. I wish humour, environmental, human interest  and poetry hubs had more clout but that may be wishful thinking. However maybe your plea to HP may have some impact. We can only hope.

5. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

I suspect the Hub score is an algorithm - you can't reason with 'em.

Humour does not pay.  Satire does not please search visitors.

Crochet hats do.

I have struggled with finding a way to monetise my humour for a few years now.  It is impossible.  The only way is to write about crochet hats with a small element of the writing you enjoy so much.

I might also take Dan Miller off all my titles.  No one cares but Google might see it as some duplicate words.

HubPages should issue a warning to creative writers.  "Don't bother" they could say.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years ago

If there is such a storm of public support out there for your work, how come none of those "thousands" come visit your Hubs?  That would fix this situation directly...

2. Thelma Alberts profile image91
      Thelma Albertsposted 9 years ago

I used to worry about my hub score before but now no more.

PFFT! Of course ya don't worry. You have a 90. Get this, after all this and that. MY SCORE WENT DOWN! Obviously I'm being penalized for this note. Wow, that's just....

You have less than 10,000 views after 2 years. Correctly attribute your photos, remove or shrink the pixelated ones, break up your big blocks of text, remove your name from your titles, improve SEO.  Get more traffic.Your score and your bank account will rise.

1. literal profile image70
            literalposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yea, I'm going to do that too.

more information here.
            http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/hubs … bber-score

Thanks Wrylft,
              But I'm quite popular in other media (stage, YouTube,  facebook, Twitter) and I would think when MY NAME is Googled or my popular stage NICKNAME, BAM, there my article would just appear. So I would have to disagree with you there by leaving my name off the marquee, er headline, er title. Not too many people are actually looking directly for Wrylft. O_o  I'm getting traffic from people just trying to find me. THEN they stumble upon my bumbling hubs. wink

Also, yes, ONLY 5,200 views on ONLY 18 hubs. I'd tend to think that's pretty good. High scoring people are cranking out hubs 25 or 30 per year. Mine would average 9.

Is there any way I could have my grade visible only to me and not by the general public so I'm not prejudged before THE STORY is actually read first? Then they can marvel at the neato pictures and other bells and whistles later and just appreciate the actual MEAT of an article...THE WORDS AND CREATIVENESS OF THE WRITER.

Then I could learn, be creative by posting more hubs and I would improve my writing skills. Instead of being afraid, angry and embarrassed while contemplating leaving HubPages from feeling ashamed. What a terrible way to feel, ol' "96.".   

All other suggestions are golden. Thank you

1. EricDockett profile image96
                EricDockettposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Have you tried your theory about entering your name in search engines and all your Hubs coming up?  Because I did, and it doesn't work.  And, according to Google's Keyword Planner, Dan W Miller doesn't even get enough search volume to generate data. I suspect you're not getting as much traffic by your name recognition as you think.

However, your social media and Hubber profiles do rank highly for your name, which really is good enough.  There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to have your name in your titles, and it is probably hurting your Hubber score.

You asked for advice, and Wrylilt gave you good information.  Part of the battle here when you come from another medium is putting your ego in your back pocket and realizing you have a lot to learn and a long road ahead if you want to succeed.  If you really think 5200 views is good on 18 articles in two years you'll be floored when you see how much better things get when you apply the things Wrylilt mentioned.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but one of my pet peeves here is how Hubbers complain about HP, ask for help, and then completely blow off  the advice a veteran (and successful) Hubber like Wrylilt gives.  It's pretty simple: If you do the things she mentioned your score, and your traffic, will improve.

Or you can keep complaining that HP is slighting you.

AW thanks, Eric. Well, not so much ego as just plain ignorance. Thought i was actually right and I wasn't. Now a person with a huge ego would never be able to admit that. My comedy is actually part self deprecation and part over blown self sensationalism. Just like here, at the end of the day, I'm just "some guy" like every other guy.
                  Assuming one knows someone from a few minutes research is some advice you may want to stick in your back pocket, also. 

Hearing advice from two sources is confirmation and for that, NOW I regress, I appreciate it and I admit I was wrong. I now can see the WHY of the answer to my wrong assumption. Not just a reason without an explanation. NOW I better understand. My name will "travel" with the story and not so much as the other way around. Aha!

So now I feel I appear to be like the lead character in Hesse's Steppenwolf. Alternately thinking the world is crazy or I'm the only one that's crazy and it's actually neither and both.
                  You've been a tremendous help and maybe I really am just pond scum in comparison to the REAL writers and authors on Hubpages because that's obviously what administration is trying to tell me. Quit dreaming and just give it up completely.

All this time I really thought I wasn't doing too bad for trying my hand at it for the very first time in my life at 51, four years ago. I've had so many non-writers (y'know, readers) tell me they have always genuinely enjoyed what I write. But then, what do THEY know?

Dan, administration isn't trying to tell you anything, at least from a personal perspective.  You're taking this Hubber score thing as a personal insult to your writing and your worth as a creative person.  Hubber score does not measure the value of your message or your impact on others.  It's just a computer program.

You seem to be thinking because a lot of people enjoy your writing there must be something unfair about the HP algorithm, since it obviously doesn't  have the same great taste as your fans.  Again, it's just a program.  The Hubber Score algorithm doesn't care if you're the Vanilla Godzilla or any other flavor of monster. 

And success as an online writer isn't guaranteed just because you've had success in other forms of writing.  Think of yourself like Michael Jordan: Even if you're the greatest basketball player in the world, that doesn't mean you can hit a curve ball.

But, like Jordan, if you put your mind to it you can get better at a different game.  You already have a  bunch of things working for you:  You've proven you can write content people enjoy; you have a strong social media presence; you have a successful YouTube account, and your name is better known than most people when they start out here.

Nobody wants you to give up, least of all HP I'm sure. Raising your Hubber score, and getting more traffic, is something you can certainly accomplish if you put your mind to it.

1. Jodah profile image91
                      Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great advice Eric. Hang in there Dan, and just try to write more hubs.

2. WryLilt profile image87

I don't really have the interest in forum arguments much these days but hell, I have a few minutes so here goes.

1. This account has 63 hubs. And it's just hit its four year anniversary. As of today my total views on this account are about 3,300,000. Please don't try and claim that a low number of hubs means a low number of views. I post about 1 hub every 3 months on this account. Quality, good SEO and good social media optimisation over quantity.
                2. WryLilt is an old pseudonym which I have no interest in promoting. If you look up "Susannah Birch" which is my real name, you'll see I'm doing quite well for myself. But I still know that people will not be Googling me unless I am known as a trained expert or very famous. People Google QUESTIONS not titles or names (unless you're VERY well known.). As Eric pointed out, your name isn't even registering searches in the Google keyword tool. Just coz you're well known on social media doesn't mean you'll get Googled. You're just another name who posts interesting stuff.
                3. Scores. People who visit you from search engines don't even know what scores mean and are even less likely to care. As above, they just want answers! They're an internal system that is there to stop spam hubbers and means nothing to Google or visitors!
                4. Your toughest critics are people who don't know a thing about you. These are also the ones who should make up most of your traffic if you plan to make money here. They don't care about your name, your WONDERFUL information etc. People online have a VERY short attention span. You need to wow them with awesomeness in the first five seconds otherwise they'll click the back button and go on to the next search result or Facebook share.

If you're serious about getting somewhere with Hubpages SEO and optimisation, I'd strongly recommend checking out my "Tips For New Bloggers & Online Writers. Get Traffic, Improve SEO and Avoid Newbie Mistakes!" guide linked on my profile and that was featured on the Hubpages blog last year. It'll get you started.

1. profile image0
                    temptor94posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hello WryLilt/Susannah,
                    Thank you very much for giving all these tips in detail. I am a newbie here and appreciate all the information you have shared in this thread. I will try to follow them.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image59
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

Try adding 3+ photos, polls, videos and such in every Hub. Plus more words may help. Be more active in the community - forums, Q/A and such.

Ugh! That's just what I deplore about the unclear black and white, crystal clear rules (not suggestions which are interpreted quite differently by some people. Namely me.) that aren't posted. These are the  "tricks" to a good score and now I appear to the general public as a lousy WRITER (key word here, WRITER) with a crummy score (from the teacher.)
        "He must really suck as a WRITER," they think, "Just look at that awful score!"
        When what it takes in learning to become a decent WRITER are accessories added to an article. Gee, I never that.

Forget what is appealing to a damn search engine! I'm trying to learn to become a better writer here!
        So, I HAVE learned something. Although I've had almost NO ADVICE on my writing skills. How ironic and odd this being a writing site for writers and where one goes to learn to become a better WRITER. (Yes, writing the word "writer" many times in these two sentences IS meant to be a hint.)

But I had to find out on my own from nice hubbers, such as yourself, "The Ex 1" and I am forever grateful! Thank you! So once again, it's the "towns people" of the community that have been the most help and not quite nearly as much as the "city council."

Oh, by the way. In the amount of time I took to reply to two comments, nine of my piddly little hubs increased readers from 5,200 (as mentioned) to nearly 5,600. But I still suck as a writer. Just don't tell the readers. Oh, and HERE'S YER SIGN er PIC.  Sheesh, whatever it takes.
        http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8908346_f248.jpg

Dan, I hope you don't think I'm picking on you, but I think you need to understand why HP recommends those things. 

Firstly, our goal here is not to have a high Hubber score.  Our goal is to get traffic.  While some don't agree, HP has decided that Hubs with those attributes get more traffic.  Pictures, videos, polls, maps, etc are meant to engage readers, keep them on your page longer, and make your page more valuable.

HP, we must presume, did not decide on these things just to annoy us. We can assume they have data to back it up.  Therefore, when you're building a Hub, it may behoove you to consider the goals HP lays out for you.  We do this not to "trick" the Hubber score algorithm or the search engines, but because by doing so we are building a better, more valuable page.

There are plenty of examples of Hubs with one or no pictures, no polls, no videos, etc, that do just fine.  But, generally, we are smart to at least consider the advice HP is giving us when it comes to reader engagement.

After all, you're not just trying to be a decent WRITER, you're trying to be a decent ONLINE WRITER.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image59
          The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this
        3. literal profile image70
          literalposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You're abit dramatic.  And you've got so much help - you should be able to get into the 100 hubber group easily.

In a nutshell: Thank you, all!

Animika - You are so centered and I admire someone that looks at the big picture and all in perspective. I learned something from you.
            I'm the type that would get more and more angry at myself as the game went on when I was a pitcher.
            Funny how I never ended up striking out all 27 batters on 3 pitches giving up no hits and no runs. I'd still be disappointed in myself even when I was the winning pitcher because it wasn't a perfect game also. 

wrylilt - I am building a pedestal to place you on. You are AWESOME, woman. Like the clouds parted, a hand thrust itself out to me and grabbed ahold pulling me into a world that is now clear, true and the HubPages Bible has been opened. I won't say anything more to embarrass you or creep you out. But just... thanks. I'll be referring back to your "manual" often.

K.O. - We're all built different. For instance, you and I aren't even the same gender. I've never had time for meditation. I'm too impatient for it. For some, getting something off their chest in words is their therapy. In fact, it could even be mine.
            But I truly appreciate your suggestion. Although I still need some solid advice on how to be a better writer at this time. We'll work on being a more calm person in the future. 

eve - I withstood your cold shower. It woke me up and was something I needed to hear. After you picked me up off the floor and shook me by my lapels, you've gotten my attention and then you have given me some very wise pointers using life and your career as a comparison.
            Thank you, I appreciate it and still feeling the sting of an extra hard slap on the butt as I got up off the bench to take the field for another inning.
            Feeling refreshed and scared to death to return unsuccessful by the end of the inning and encounter another one of your uh, pep talks again.
            Oh, be sure to catch my special thought just for you at the end of this.. well... whatever it is. I guess it's a mass thank you note.

Jodah - It's nice to hear at least one "hang in there and have a cookie." Phew. These slings and arrows are stinging but necessary, I guess.
            leanman, Dale - ditto, muchas gracias!

literal - you made three points -  yes, yes, and you're funny. My facebook 'about' page lists that I majored in 'Sarcasm' at Moorpark College.
            Were you in my class? You seem familiar. Oh wait. You copied off my personality. Yeah, that's right. Got an "A" didn't ya? I can take it (and deserve it.)

Mark - (who already knows me all too well.) I'm interpreting that primal scream as a half show of understanding and half a show of disappointment in another SHOW of frustration from me. It's a kind of sliding scale affect with me. They're getting less and less. You are so dang funny, man!

relach - not 100% sure where you are coming from, not the most helpful of advice either, I will admit (I'm sure you would also.) But in the three days after your bit of ... not sure what, look at all the support that HAS come out of the woodwork TO HELP. Thank you (and without a comma after HELP and before Thank.)
            By the way, there is a special note for you at the bottom of this dissertation (of sorts.)

"ex 1 man"  VERY, VERY HELPFUL AND SUPPORTIVE. You would be the kind of guy I'd like to "go have a beer with." Although not much of a beer drinker, that's man code for "you're cool." Thanks!

eric - I saved you for last. See that silver medal stand next to wrylilt? That's where I have a special place for you. Thank you. I WILL refer back to your advice again and again.
            Where as it may be wrylilt's book, you are the author. You are the Mark Anthony to her Cleopatra. Now, let's go have a beer with "ex1 man," shall we?

Bear in mind, folks. I have never written a damn thing before joining HubPages 2 and a half years ago.
            If I didn't nearly burn up and die, THEN to create a "Bucket List" I would never even be here today.
            In fact, I nearly wasn't even ABLE to BE HERE today. 1 in 4.5 KICK THE BUCKET from SJS Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. 1 in 8 go blind while 3 in a million will even get it. So, yes, I'm fresh. Almost literally and physically.
            Go Google "images" of SJS and 'i could have died sjs.'.

Over 3,500 have read my story, Ms. relash, in about 30 months. It was my first hub that was written the day I got out of the hospital and then I "sat on it" for two years before joining this site.
            That was the Phoenix VA HOSPITAL, Ms. evegan, where they saved my life. Because OH, YES I AM able to serve, follow and respect (yet still have enough guts to question) authority being a SAR Search and Rescue US Navy Corpsman Gulf War era.
            That was one place where I 'chose to have my battles' and I believe I still will pick them wherever I choose. My mother is not here and I will only listen to HER "orders." 

Ah! Ah!  That's not necessary. No need. You're welcome. And it was an honor to serve and protect all of our rights to the many kinds of freedom we all enjoy, including ranting without fear of our government. (Individual citizens even less so.) I'd gladly serve again for all of you.

Please accept my tongue-in-cheek jabbing like adults because after all, those who replied DIRECTLY TO ME,  this was just my rebuttal BACK TO YOU. Because originally my "RANT" was never meant just for you but, none the less, I still received a reply from you that was meant just for me. It's been fun!
            http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8909598_f248.jpg

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8909604_f248.jpg

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8909609_f248.jpg

4. evegan profile image59
          eveganposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Dan, I am so fresh and new here that you may be very very annoyed by what I have to say, but... I read all your posts in this thread and you just rant, rant, rant. From personal experience, ranting NEVER works. NEVER gets you want you want. The harsh truth is you either abide by the rules here, or you can have your own blog and webspace and get as original and creative as you want without scores, tricks, tactics, etc. I read plenty of good advice here.

And another thing. Yes, it's true today people tend to be more mainstream in their needs - how to this, how to that, 5 things you didn't know, 10 things you should do, etc. Creativity seems to thrive quite hard and if it does it's among few who survived. If someone is creative, the battle is really very very hard, and I am not sure I can fight it now. It seems you have fans and you are creative and interesting. Use that and improve on it, look for other media to express yourself, be proactive, don't wait for some stupid score, go for the higher and riskier levels, where people don't dare go. Well, you'll either fail badly, or you'll win major. I know, it's 50/50, but in order to be really someone unique you should put extreme efforts in it. Otherwise you're just battling among mainstream articles (which isn't bad or good in itself, it's what the general public looks for), but your originality tries to express itself in the wrong place.

My other hobby is to create stock images. One thing I know from there is this - creativity is quite "cold" there. Rigid rules, logos, boring stuff but people are crazy about it. Those who are really true talents - they work for Pixar, Dreamworks, game studios, etc. So you choose where to have your battles. 

I chose HP in order to try something new. I am not that exceptionally creative but hopefully offer not so conventional points of view on certain matters, I challenge by asking uncomfortable questions and searching everywhere for the uncomfortable truth. Your strenghts may be other and I am sure you'll get there. You are at least questioning authority. But still ranting is not going to get you what you want.

4. Mark Ewbie profile image81

Aaaarrrggghhh!

5. Kathleen Odenthal profile image89
      Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

Wow, I think meditation might help, but I dont think a rant like this will. Just being honest.

6. Anamika S profile image67
      Anamika Sposted 9 years ago

I don't think that my low score has ruined my life, but certainly it has demotivated me from writing here more. I am a daily visitor on HubPages and update my hubs from time to time. Despite my low Hubber score, I still have more traffic and earnings than many of the writers here.

As an ex-Banker, one thing I have learned is not to be dependent on one source of income. I have multiple sources of income and that keeps me floating despite of the numerous algorithms affecting earnings.

Wow, I'm overwhelmed. I'll address each one of you individually within the next few days but just to let you all know I am so surprised and grateful. But what I really found to be quite amazing is nearly EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU approached my situation in nearly a completely different manner. I love it!
        From the suck it and shut up, to here's my angle, to being in agreement, to the professional and calm approach. (I love psychology being a people reader/observer as a stand-up comedian.)
        Let me step away for a bit and come back but I am just amazed that you folks would take this much time out of your busy lives to WANT to help a hack. Extraordinary people!

Oh, here's a picture of me standing dumbfounded, overwhelmed and amazed by the amount of caring responses I've received. thx
        http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8909271_f248.jpg

7. jhehe profile image89
      jheheposted 9 years ago

I've looked at your hubs and I can see why. I reached a score of 91 just after 3 hubs and all three of my hubs have something yours do not have. I just took a look at your most recent ones and the thing is you're formatting is a poor design choice. I don't mean to offend you or to brag, I'm just telling you what you need to hear to help you improve. I'm not sure if you are intentionally doing this or if this is unintentionally, but you seem to like to put all your chunks of text in the front and then leave a stream of pictures. By reading your original post, I can only speculate that this is not working out for you. You need to learn to adapt and mix pictures with text. Right now your pictures seem very "forced" in the sense that they are there to make your hub seem longer. Try to place then in-line with text. After each text paragraph, add an image before or after that relate to the current topic on hand. Your polls are pretty good. Just avoid generic responses to a question like "How was the movie?" such as "Good", "It was alright", "Didn't Like It". Finally, word count does matter. My hubs are consistently over 3,000 words and it is paying off.

EXCELLENT ADVICE WITHOUT BELITTLING ME! oh, sorry. I guess the caps were meant to be my expression of elation. Thank you.
        You are in my brain as I reluctantly slap the required non-writing requirements towards being a good... uh... well, WRITER! You are the first person to suggest specific placement and obvious intentions on my part. I'm either lazy or ignoarnt of these facts you've presented. A little of both. Sometimes the brief rebuttal or comeback might be necessary to (over)emphasize the simplicity of the situation or the bluntness of the thought. Buuuut most times I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO WRITE. Considering I just picked up the quill about three years ago, I didn't think I, out and out just plain SUCKED as a writer.
        jhehe, you sir(?) are brilliant. Maybe read my comic reply to the dozen that have commented on this "rant" of mine. Again, too lazy to address each one individually. So I threw them all together into one big thesis/hub/thank you note.

Heres yer pikchur, I jus' slappd 2gether. wink

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8909655_f248.jpg

2. csmiravite-blogs profile image74
        csmiravite-blogsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've looked up your website at wordpress, and was surprised that it got 650,000 plus views!  Those were just snippets about  here and there, but you're getting the traffic! Awesome!

writer_csm

8. Shanna11 profile image74
      Shanna11posted 9 years ago

I will never understand why people are so caught up in their hubber scores.

I literally didn't even know what mine was before I posted this, and I probably won't care in about 3 seconds. Even when I was a new writer and it was really low, I didn't pay any attention to it. All I care about is if my traffic is staying constant (or increasing) and if I hit payout. My Hubber score doesn't affect either of those things, so why would I (or anyone else for that matter) care?

Thanks for your input but I must have said it at least five times. The general public and even the other hubbers will look at your, well, MY low score and PREJUDGE ME by thinking I SUCK as a writer when in actuality it's the lack of proper preparation and missing a bell or a whistle to jazz it up.

I mean look at the initial response from three of the other hubbers with high scores towards me? Did you notice? They said some rather harsh things to me that I did not appreciate one bit.  I never DID ANYTHING TO them!
        But I digress (on two of the three.) Then when they found out that I'm not really as stupid and as crappy writer as they first perceived, they were nicer towards me on the next reply.
        Well, two were,  the other I think I embarrassed her and told her off in such a tactful way that I think she's pretending like she never insulted me or wrote a reply at all.

You see, if you were like me and part of the less than 2% of the population that is over 6' 5", you'd be WELL AWARE of INITIAL IMPRESSIONS because 98% of the Earth is at a certain level and I GET NOTICED right off the bat everywhere I go. So this is just that. A big fat, tall, ugly sore thumb and meanwhile you just saunter on down the road with a 95 and no one notices you.  Another reason I sometimes over dress. Here comes the freek show 6' 5+" or laughable 81. 

So... in review. THE GENERAL INITIAL PERCEPTION! It's not "just a number." IT'S A LOW SCORE. Do you get it now?
        Ugh, I'm exhausted. If this entire encounter these past 72 hours doesn't bring my commentor score up to about a level of, oh about 473, I don't know what will. wink oy!

1. Shanna11 profile image74
          Shanna11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Correlation does not imply causation. I don't think a tiny, relatively meaningless number in the corner of your picture is changing the way others react to you. The way you interact, write and discuss things with others is far more indicative of how you will be treated on Hubpages. Despite what you might think, the vast majority of Hubbers will not treat you any differently based on your Hubber score.

And besides, who even cares what others think of you on an online forum? There are several people here who don't like me, and I know it has nothing to do with how high or low my Hubber score is. C'est la vie.

2. Jodah profile image91

I don't even notice the score of other hubbers Dan, and it definitely doesn't effect whether I read their hubs. I just look for titles I may be interested in, or if the person is one of my followers or followers I just do the right thing and read what they write. As long as your hubs are featured they are good enough. If you really need to increase your score, swallow your pride and add some bells and whistles it isn't such a big deal really. Good luck.

2. Chinaimport profile image79
        Chinaimportposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hubber score over 85 is needed if you want to give a do follow link to an external website such as your own blog.  In other words, your website or blog will have better chance to rank higher if your hub has a link to it AND your hubber score is over 85.

9. Mark Ewbie profile image81

Dan - the internet do not notice your score.  We are lucky if they glance at a page - let alone read the thing.  Many people on here regard it as a meaningless mystery.

It does not matter.

What matters is learning lessons from those people offering suggestions.  Making your pages - full of excellent writing no doubt- as attractive, eye-catching and appealing for a fast-moving and uncaring audience as possible.

Trying to look at your pages as a search visitor would - who does not know who you are, what you do, how tall you are.

Lot of helpful advice on this thread.

10. Baby-Boomer-58 profile image73
      Baby-Boomer-58posted 9 years ago

Hello Dan. I'm on 82. Race you to 90!! smile

1. Baby-Boomer-58 profile image73
        Baby-Boomer-58posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just this minute published another hub, so I don't know if I will stay on 82 for long. I might go up or down. However, my goal is still 90 sooner or later.

1. Jodah profile image91

i just reached 90 by writing a 3000 word hub. It's only happened once before so is a big deal. I wonder how long I can stay on this score. Probably until I publish my next poetry hub.

Here is a perfect example of why I have every right to be LIVID. This guy has ZERO HUBS! NONE! - http://eizzy.hubpages.com/ -  We both have the same score of 77 after being barely 4 points ahead of him at 81! ARE YOU KIDDIN' ME? TIED? Then +4 POINTS!! HE DOESN'T EVEN WRITE!
            Go Google 'sjs' and there is one my hubs 6TH on the search behind WIKIPEDIA, MAYO CLINIC, YOUTUBE, SJS OFFICIAL SUPPORT PAGE and I've been there for over a year. HOW ABOUT SOME CREDIT FOR THAT!
            So Google search "i could have died." I come up TWICE in the Top 10 out of about 80 POSSIBILITIES. YOU ARE SO INSULTING TO ME, HUBPAGES! Yes, I'm yelling! How dare you!

2. Baby-Boomer-58 profile image73

I'm now at 84. Two point rise surprises me. Might have something to do with it being my fifth hub and getting past that particular milestone. I'll try another one in the next few days and see what happens.

RIDICULOUS! How in blazes can a hub written get a 78 score, seen by over 3,500 people in two years, yet fail and fall TO THE 60'S? REALLY!? REALLY?! HOW?!! I ADDED MORE PICTURES tonight DIRECTLY RELATED my hub's discussed disease.
            How can a hub that's been in the Google search TOP 10 with just 3 little letters for over A YEAR drop? Behind MAYO, WIKIPEDIA, THE SJS SUPPORT SITE, YOUTUBE and then there's little ol' me and my now world FAMOUS HUB. One that SJS sufferers have read. Your computer can't factor that can it, HubRAGES?  Also, how about the hubs that don't even get edited? How can it's score POSSIBLY GO DOWN, HUNpages?
            http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8926735_f248.jpg

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8926764_f248.jpg

Hey, Dan. Are you sure your score is worthy of this much stress and anxiety? That photo you posted makes me happy for you that you don't look like that any more.  Compared to your photo, your score is looking pretty good.

Who the hell else is going to bring it to the public's attention what a sham this site is? Huh? Who, Mr/Ms Boring Complacency? ONLY ME!  My score sucks. A dead person can have the same score with NO HUBS AT ALL! WHAT A JOKE this barrel of monkeys is!
                I would be the one to escape a POW camp while YOU would continue to be raped and beaten like a wimp just accepting your plight. YOU HAVE NO IDEA from your point of view.
                Kindly stuff your advice with it's BACKHANDED COMPLIMENT. HOW DARE YOU!  I'm not stupid so butt out, know-it-all!! Yes, it's worth it. I'm just typing words. How hard is that? Sheesh roll over and play dead. Oh, my fingers are bleeding. I'm going to preach to the social media now to stay away from here.
                Oh, and I'm a baby boomer also, ashamed of you and your lazy accepting ways. It didn't happen to you. Have some empathy, compassion and understanding which is what our generation USED TO be famous for. How's that Hummer doing in your driveway, by the way? (Probably called that one, didn't I?)   
                http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8927154_f248.jpg

Well that's the end of any attempt from me to offer you empathy, compassion or understanding.

I'll leave you in peace to complain some more about how your score is dropping - and how its not your fault.

11. Shyron E Shenko profile image70
      Shyron E Shenkoposted 9 years ago

Jodah, I know what you mean, almost every I publish a poem my hubber score goes down a point, and when I publish a hub, it almost never goes up.
      I guess HP thinks that is Poetic Justice.

1. Jodah profile image91

I guess they do Shyron. I just published a poetry hub, so off to see if my score is still 90.

1. Jodah profile image91

nope, dropped 2 already.

So the message I'm hearing is 'stay away from poetry'. ??

1. Jodah profile image91

Only if your hub score is more important to you than quality creative writing.

lol. I somehow doubt my poetry would be considered quality creative writing. A poet I ain't.

2. Dan W Miller profile image73

What a sham and what a shame too.

12. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 9 years ago

Scores have TWO main purposes.

1. To turn outgoing links "dofollow/nofollow". If your score is over 75, all links to other sites will automatically set to dofollow, a good thing if you are linking out to your OWN websites.
      2. They help rank hubs in the internal topic sections.

The first one - doesn't matter at all unless you're either a spammer, or serious about diverting Google love and traffic to your own sites.
      The second one - well if you know how to do even basic SEO, 90% of your traffic should be coming from OUTSIDE Hubpages, so ranking well on a topic page won't do much for you.

1. Chinaimport profile image79
        Chinaimportposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hubber score => 85 qualifies for outbound do follow link.  It used to be 75 but as of now bar is raised to 85

Deleted

1. wilderness profile image94
            wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Two weeks since the OP and you're still here?

1. profile image0
              calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think it's another tedious attempt at performance art like his previous OP.

2. WryLilt profile image87

Oops, that's right they did change it. Still not important if you don't have your own websites to promote, though.

13. Kathleen Odenthal profile image89
      Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

calculus geometry is RIGHT on. the OP feeds off of people paying attention to him. and its quite sad frankly. don't feed the troll.

14. ShivaniBharadwaj profile image61
      ShivaniBharadwajposted 9 years ago

I would just say that delete those hubs who are not getting much traffic. May be that will help you to raise your score!

15. prbradshaw profile image67
      prbradshawposted 9 years ago

Sorry, I don't have anything constructive to say, just read the comments from start to finish and some of your rage posts were hilarious!! I mean your condition isn't, that looks really bad, but you certainly have the nack for raging out about anything and everything..... Chill out mate, there are more important things in life to worry about.

16. Dan W Miller profile image73
      Dan W Millerposted 9 years ago

Now I don't get how to make, create, split up capsules. So much is just ASSumed. Like, "Just drive that semi-truck." Yeah, that's how you get it done by driving the truck BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW GAWDAMMIT!
      I'm trying to incorporate pictures into my long article/hub/story/whatever. Someone says, "Just simply make capsules." What the hell is a capsule? How do I "make" them,?.
      The help link IS NO DAMN HELP AT ALL. I hate this site.
      Can I just WRITE a hub, ,Dear Lord above us and make THEM (HubPages) admin jerk around with the technicalcrap to make them online compatible. If they had any brains at all                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    they'd realize if  they'd create them FOR the writer, then those hubs would generate more money. DUH!
      Then we can do what we thought this site would be like we originally signed up for this sham - AUTHORS WRITING. PERIOD! Not playing Harry Potter Computer Wizard. That's not part of W.R.I.T.I.N.G.
      Instead, I'm going to end up not posting it altogether and screamin' SCREW IT (AGAIN for the 19th time tonight) because my internet feng shui skills and my computer interior design skills suck. And ya wonder why I only have 17 hubs yet I have 85 facebook notes.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

See the text capsule?  When you edit - up near the right hand corner.  Add a couple of them - half a dozen.  Fill them with some words maybe two hundred in each.  Add a photo capsule.  Move it around.  Move the text boxes around.

Play with it.,  Spend a couple of hours.  It is honestly worth the effort.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
          Mark Ewbieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

See the red circles....
          http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9012582_f248.jpg

2. Jodah profile image91

Dan, when you are writing a hub, on the right hand side is a list of types of capsules you can add eg, text, photo, video, poll, amazon, eBay, map, ratings, links  etc. You can choose any of them and insert them wherever you want (up to a point). If you click on one on the right menu it will then appear at the bottom of your hub. You can then move it up to where you want it placed by using the up or right arrows. For instance, just write a few paragraphs then save that text capsule. Alternatively, if you hover your curser at the left side of the hub you will see a floating 'insert capsule' bubble that you can move up and down to where you want to insert more text or a photo etc. When you have it where you want click on it and a menu will appear allowing you to choose what type of capsule you wish to insert. Click on the one you want, then insert your text or photo. If you separate your text into these 'capsules' then you can add photos between each one or on the right of each piece of text. I taught myself without reading any of the help links or tutorials so it isn't really that difficult. I find it much easier to use than Facebook for instance.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image59

Dan,
        I have two links which may/may not help you. I am not sure of your problem.
        http://theexaminer-1.hubpages.com/hub/-text

http://theexaminer-1.hubpages.com/hub/editcaps
        The top link is specifically for the text capsule and the bottom link is for the the other capsules.

You are AWESOME, EX-!   - Whatever you say, I will listen and follow. Thank you. Might I say that, as a Hubber, I would want to aspire to be like you. Such accolades!

I took a look at those I follow and I am still just graduating from the Wright Brothers era as compared to their "jet age" progress.  17 hubs in 2 years as compared to the 100's of hubs cranked out by most of my crew looks quite pathetic. But you you can sense the anxiety I suffer with each "grading period." I'll report back any success from following your suggestions.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59

I am glad if they helped you in any way, I was not sure whether they would.

1. csmiravite-blogs profile image74

I learned the whole Hubbie thingie just by looking and playing around with it. When I got the hang of it, they were fun - much like a writer's kind of fun. The whole gamut  prettifies the article and makes it reader friendly. If you don't get overwhelmed by the technology, you are bound to learn about the Hubbie cutie buttons faster and enjoy the experience, as well. Heheh!

My one cent.....

writer_csm

1. Jodah profile image91

I agree with you csmiravite. It is actually fun writing and compiling hubs to make them as appealing as you can. If you can't enjoy it as part of the creative writing process, then perhaps this isn't the right place to be.

Yep, I enjoy playing around with it (Hubbie cutesy buttons), sometimes more than writing the article itself. After learning how it works, that's when I read around and see if what I did is right. (Hehe! I work backwards) I normally don't do things if I don't enjoy them. The element of fun should always be there.  big_smile

writer_csm

17. FourChan profile image56
      FourChanposted 9 years ago

Focus more on something that isn't Hub Pages. 

Picture yourself as a HP staff member... Honestly, would it be higher if they would manually change your score for you?

18. Baby-Boomer-58 profile image73
      Baby-Boomer-58posted 9 years ago

I hit 90.  Might not last long, but now I know it can be done.

I'm a "baby-boomer '58" also. Very encouraging! I don't know if I can ever repair the damage I have done to start off my HubPages experience. Thanks so much!

19. Edwinoel Tanglao profile image59
      Edwinoel Tanglaoposted 9 years ago

I am not bothered at all by my hub score.  It's, perhaps, a way of hubpages to encourage us hubbers to challenge ourselves. 

Am happy seeing other people guided and enlightened by what I share about the truth in this life and beyond. 

As I can see it, this life is only temporary, what is important is seeking greater peace and happiness inside out, and how do you attain that, by being a better person from inside out.

How do you know you are a better person?  It's when you have seen God's kingdom and understands what righteousness means and never stopping to keep on trying and sharing to do what is right, where money is not everything, but truth in love by guiding more people towards the light is. 

When you see yourself set free from all deceptions, you have conquered this world and this life, and you can see what others fail to see because of pride and because of things material that many of us know are all but passing and can never satisfy, unless we refuse to understand and see how time flies, and the things that have happened have to happen because of our choices and our actions or inaction. 

But through it all, there is not substitute to having a strong spirit that never wavers but keeps trying to seek the truth, and when he finds it, feels ecstatic in sharing it like this great awesome feeling never ends.

Wow, Edwinoel! THAT was a hub by itself. I still need to work out a few kinks before I can commit 100%. I appreciate such a heartfelt comment! Thank you.

I enjoyed reading your rants more than your articles. It is like seeing my little kid, who wants to play catch bubbles, but can't. So, in the middle of dinner, she ranted about the bubbles not big enough, not strong enough, not pricey enough,  and ended up throwing the little thingie in the garbage bin. big_smile

The next time around, she learned how to blow the right kind of bubbles, and had fun catching them. She is now a grown woman of 22 and still blows nice colored bubbles whenever she is at home.

I like hearing rants from an "old" man. It looks so funny, and  I ended up  falling down my rockers reading all  your response. I hope  you learn how to use the hubbie cutie buttons. They are fun to use, just like blowing bubbles.

Hehehe!  Have a good day, sir!  big_smile

writer_csm

2. Edwinoel Tanglao profile image59
          Edwinoel Tanglaoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Dan for your kind response.  Hubpages editors and organizers may not be as kind so with others who may see my hubs negatively as ridiculous, very conservative, unrealistic, out of this world and foolish as they may turn off many readers and hubpages staffers who may not see the wisdom of true FREEDOM and true INDEPENDENCE from deception of evil and darkness out to sow disorder, chaos and disunity among individuals and groups of people or among communities.

But I have seen the light of truth and love that sets free and heals, that nothing of material motivation may ever conquer because it goes beyond our easily and unfiltered corrupted minds from our very ego that evil may bend to its liking that the essence of eternal truth in us diminishes as darkness blinds us from things that may give temporary happiness and joy, but greater overwhelming pain that we ourselves have inflicted in our being and in our selfishly designed rules.

No wonder ETERNAL TRUTH in the light of love and peace have last, while lies in deception, malice and selfishness have preyed on those who more believed on Mammon as their master, forgetting the greater truth that, whether we MAY or MAY NOT BELIEVE in GOD in The Light of truth and love, it is this same Light that has given us this GIFT of LIFE that will give HOPE and LIFE  to those who may OPEN their hearts and souls more to GOD's WORDS - words of TRUTH that will NEVER FADE AWAY but WILL LAST FOREVER where FREEDOM HEALS AND FREES from DARKNESS.

Lest we are willing to live in His light - God forbid that soon we may be guided back to it - we may be putting ourselves, our family, our entity, unknowingly and unwittingly, slowly engulfed by evil and darkness as we may remain BLIND from the true colors of DECEPTION in our self-destructive ways.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)