RESOLVED: subdomain URL save issue for non-Hub content

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 9 years ago

I have just noticed today that many of my hubs where I reference other author's hubs and included a link to their profile, the URL has been shortened to just "hubpages.com" - thereby removing the actual link to the author.

I have no idea how long this has been happening, but I am going through my hubs now to remove the links that are just going to HubPages' home page as a result of this.

I did not find any mention of this practice in the newsletters or HP blogs.  Can anyone from staff elaborate on this?

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years ago

Glenn, will you send me an example URL. I think this is a bug if it is happening. We don't change the destination of Urls.

Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Paul, I had spent that last hour removing those links. But I still have some that had my own link to my profile. Those also had my subdomain removed. So "glennstok.hubpages.com" is now just "hubpages.com"

Since you are asking for an example, I assume it's okay to list one here without being moderated. So here it is: http://hubpages.com/hub/Laser-Glaucoma-Treatment

See the link at the bottom of that article. When I try to change it, it changes back when saved.

1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
        Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The link at the bottom you put in as http://glennstok.hubpages.com/.  If so, that's a bug.

Yes, that's how I always create the link. I also noticed that links to hubs also have the domain removed. But they work anyway since they follow the 301 redirect. So just the links to profiles end up going to HP's home page.

1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
            Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That looks like a bug to me.  I'll see what Deeds says about it.  Thanks for alerting us.

Okay. Thanks for your quick attention to this.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
                Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Glen, just to update, this appears to be isolated to Editor's Choice Hubs and we are working to resolve the issue.

Matt, I have another hub that is not Editor's Choice which also had the same problem.

Unfortunately, I removed the links in it a couple of hours ago. They were links to several hubber's profiles. If you have access to backups prior to changes made today, let me know if you want me to specify the one I'm referring to. I don't want to just list URL's here without a request from staff.

@Glenn
                    As a general rule, sharing links to Hubs or providing URL with which you are having problems is permitted in the Technical problems forums (even if we don't ask first).

We may be able to see a historic version of a Hub. So, please share any other Hubs or URLs with which you are seeing the issue and I will do further testing to get information for our engineers to better address the issue.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96

Matt - more info - In the non-EC hub I just added those links back to those member's profiles and it worked this time without getting changed to the home page.

3. Matthew Meyer profile image71
    Matthew Meyerposted 9 years ago

The deployed fix should address any issues affecting URLS being altered going forward, but it does not change URLs in existing Hubs.

Okay, but I have 37 EC hubs I need to check now. Not too happy about the time this will take. 

I just tried fixing one. The bug is still there. I reset my browser and cleared the cache. So that's not it. For an example, Please look at http://hubpages.com/hub/thinking-though … t-language

...and see the link at the bottom, with the text "See a complete list »"

That should go to http://glennstok.hubpages.com/#myconten … ience_hubs but my subdomain is still removed after saving. It works now with direct profile links. But not with the "topic" included.  All these links have been lost too. They had worked prior to this ever since the "show topic" filter was included in our profiles a couple of years ago.

@Glen
        How about we start over as it may be we are talking about different issues.

Please provide the following.

1. A Hub URL in which you are seeing the issue
        2. The URL you are using (the one you enter that is being changed)
        3. The URL you seeing it be changed to.

Is the change occurring in the Hubtool and reflected in the saved HTML or are you seeing a forward from that URL to another URL when it is followed (issue is a forwarding one and not the URL in the Hub)?

I will then do further testing.

Just some clarification

If you enter this URL
        http://glennstok.hubpages.com/hub/think … t-language

It is supposed to forward to
        http://hubpages.com/hub/thinking-though … t-language

Due to the different in URL structure for Editor's Choice Hubs.

Matt, These are good questions to clarify the issue. What your questions pertain to is your desire to figure out if I am talking about 301 redirects. To clarify -- I am not. 

I am talking about the actual link in the HTML. I can see where it is supposed to point to since my browser shows that in the lower portion of the screen when I hover over the hyper-link.   I am sure you know what I am referring to since most browsers do that.  WIth that said, I can see that after I enter the link correctly and save the capsule, it has dropped the subdomain portion in front of the URL.

In an effort to be as clear as possible, let me answer each of your three questions. 

1. A Hub URL in which you are seeing the issue
          http://hubpages.com/hub/thinking-though … t-language

2. The URL you are using (the one you enter that is being changed)
          http://glennstok.hubpages.com/#myconten … ience_hubs

3. The URL you seeing it be changed to.
          http://hubpages.com/#mycontent_educatio … ience_hubs

As you can see, I use this method to give the reader a link to my profile where the profile only has a list of hubs in that same topic category as the hub they just read.

I feel this is in the interest of reader satisfaction, since they would not be interested in other topics I write about.  This has always worked ever since we had the latest profile format that was introduced about two years ago (give of take).  But now since the subdomain is lost, the link goes to the HP home page and the part after the # is meaningless on the home page. So it just goes to the top of the home page.

Once again, I am not talking about what happens with 301 redirects. I know that all URL's without subdomain redirect to the subdomain and visa versa. I'm an HTML programmer myself and I know you do that so hubs can be made EC status, and removed from EC status, without any conflicts.   But as I said, this issue is not about that.

I hope things are clear now and I appreciate your desire for clarification.

@Glen Thank you for the helpful details.
            I just tested and see the issue you are describing.
            I have made our engineering team aware of the issue.
            We may not be able to get a fix deployed today, so please hold off on editing any of your Hubs that had the issue as to not waste any more of your time.

I will post an update when the issue has been addressed and will test it before doing so.

Okay, no problem.

Hi Glenn!
                We just deployed a fix for this.
                I tested it in the Hub you specified, http://hubpages.com/hub/thinking-though … t-language

I added the full subdomain URL and it kept the proper URL after the Hub was saved.
                So this URL now works properly and resolved to the Education and Science articles on your profile.
                http://glennstok.hubpages.com/#myconten … ience_hubs

So if you make any changes now, they should stick.
                Do you know how many of your Hubs this affected?

That's really great news!  Thanks Matt. And thank you to your team too. I never kept a separate list of the hubs I did this with. But I'll go through my 37 Editor's Choice hubs and make sure they are all working. Not all use this method, but I have to check to be sure. I'm grateful for the fix before the weekend. Thanks again.

Glad we could get it fixed and please let me know if you run into any other issues.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)