jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (15 posts)

Amazon Never Works For Me...Help?

1. Cynthianne profile image94
    Cynthianneposted 3 years ago

I have had an affiliate account with Amazon since before I started here at Hubpages. Here is my problem: whether I use Hubpages Amazon (I am currently using that) or my own affiliate account, the Amazon does not work. I do not and have never gotten, any choices for my readers to look at. I click the preview button and nothing ever happens. I keep checking and my Amazon is active...what could be the problem?

1. RachaelOhalloran profile image83
      RachaelOhalloranposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Use Firefox instead of Chrome or IE.
      Firefox works for me every time. I don't know why Amazon capsules don't work for me with Chrome or IE and yet they work for other people.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Do you have an ad blocker on your browser?   It will block the amazon ads too.  Turn off the ad blocker for HubPages and see if you can see anything.

The other thing to check is - are you using the capsules correctly?   You can't use affiliate codes in the Amazon capsules, you simply type in the ASIN number of the product (go to the product and scroll down about halfway), or use keywords.

2. Cynthianne profile image94

I have my ad block disabled for Hubpages. hhmm....I will have to try Firefox. I know my kids like it better than Chrome. Oh, I do the keyword and url/ibn/aisn number too, that does not work Thanks for the suggestions though! I appreciate it.

On Amazon at the top left, I click "link to this page" so that my affiliate code DOES show up in the URL for me to get credit if it results in a sale. After I click that, I click "image" making sure I selected Hardcover or Paperback in description (bec Amazon capsule doesn't support Kindle version). The Image screen is the copy paste I put in HP Amazon capsule (on Firefox only). Re prior comments: using your affiliate code is the only way to get credit for the sale and to my way of thinking, the only reason to use Amazon capsules in a hub is to make money.

Cynthianneposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Oh! Thank you! Yes, my goal is to make money. smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image93

I think Rachael is explaining how to use a link in a text capsule  - you must never paste your affiliate code in an Amazon capsule.  HubPages does that for you automatically.

Maybe...not sure. I am clicking on the Amazon capsule and going from there. Thanks for the info! I appreciate it. smile

The best way is NOT to log into Amazon when you're looking for products, so you don't get distracted by affiliate codes etc.

Marisa, I've read your comments with interest and want to tell you that I don't post unless I'm sure of my info. While it is true that I have not made a dime on Amazon on my own account, I also don't have hubs where Amazon products are well showcased, nor do I use them very much. However, I do moderate awordlover's account and use Amazon capsules on her hubs very often. When I took over her acct, I followed her example, since I was new here. I didn't  understand all the programs, soon learned when I saw her track record of sales from Amazon several times per year. Her hubs are far different than mine. I've been posting her Amazon capsules on her hubs the same way as I described above, and if it is wrong, then her acct should not be paid.  Since her acct does get paid, I am assuming I am doing something right. Thank you for your prospective on this, but since the acct is getting paid from Amazon sales, I believe the info I provided here was good.

I stand corrected - I have not actually tried pasting affiliate codes into the Amazon capsules, it just seemed likely it would mess things up, since it's NOT the correct procedure.  So it may well be working, but it is causing you unnecessary work.  The whole reason you provide HubPages with your Amazon ID is so THEY can add the affiliate code to the links automatically.

Here are the instructions for using the Amazon capsule.  You'll note there is no reference to logging in to Amazon or using an affiliate link:

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/usin … d_22478701
                  http://gisellemaine.hubpages.com/hub/Ho … on-Capsule

2. Marisa Wright profile image93

If you're trying to put that in Amazon capsules, then it's likely you will not get paid.  Read the Learning Centre - you must not use affiliate links in capsules.

HubPages adds your affiliate code automatically to capsules, so if you try to do it yourself as well, it could cause confusion because the link will have duplicated codes in it, and therefore may not work.

Thanks! I am just using what Hubpages had set up even though I have my own affiliate account with Amazon. I thought about what others have said and thought I would go ahead and try what Hubpages already had in place to use, now that I have it working, and try it out.

3. Cynthianne profile image94

I turned my ad block on and then off again, still no Amazon. I downloaded Firefox and suddenly...Amazon works!! Thank you!! I have been having trouble with Chrome for awhile now, who knows what is going on...anyway, glad it is working. Thank you!!

You are welcome, glad to help.

working