jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)

Duplicate content solution

1. ourevolution profile image62
    ourevolutionposted 3 years ago

Not sure if this will work, but if it can, then it would be god to do so.

As you probably know duplicate content is not allowed, which makes sense from a search engine point of view, but not from the perspective of someone surfing the directories of Hubpages and/or other such websites.

If hubs can be formatted so duplicate content is not shown to search engines, but still available to people surfing the directory, authors will get more exposure and hubpages will be more comprehensive.

Being the first to do this will give hubpages an advantage over competition.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Not sure what you are saying here.  If you refer to people surfing the HP directory, there will never be enough volume of people doing that to significantly affect earnings.

If you mean the search engine directory, I sincerely hope that no one ever finds a way to fool the search engine into thinking duplicate material isn't duplicate at all.  We search for exactly that - duplicate content - when looking for thieves, after all.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I don't think that would be an advantage at all.   The duplicate content is quite likely to be old, tired stuff that already appears elsewhere on the web so it's not going to give a good impression of HubPages however it is found.

3. Matthew Meyer profile image77
      Matthew Meyerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The HubPages policy is that duplicate content is not permitted.
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/publ … d_22732309

2. ourevolution profile image62
    ourevolutionposted 3 years ago

Maybe Marisa. I guess it depends on how many people cruise several directories as a habit.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92

Based on most Hubbers' experience, very few people 'cruise directories as a habit".   Over 90% of our traffic comes via Google - people arrive at a Hub looking for specific information.  They may then browse other Hubs on that same specific topic, but that's about it.  Very few people think, "wow what a great resource" and bookmark it to come back to look at other subjects in the future.  Next time they want information, they will just go straight to Google again.

ourevolutionposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That makes sense to me Marisa smile

On that note, Hubpages could hide duplicate content from the search engines, but show their titles in the related hub listing.  How does that sound?

1. Marisa Wright profile image92

You're missing the fundamental reason why dupe content isn't allowed.

HubPages needs to guard against plagiarism.  If you publish something here that is already published elsewhere, a HubPages staffer will have to go and manually check whether the original really belongs to you, or whether you've stolen it.

If HubPages is going to pay staff to do that work, there has to be a payoff for them.  If the copy isn't going to be visible to search engines, then it won't earn money and therefore there will be no payoff for them.

ourevolutionposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree with your plagiarism comment.  Never considered it, because I don't think that way.  Eventually humanity as a whole will evolve past such primitive acts.  Until then, the rest of us will be inconvenienced.

working