What are the most popular topics to write about on the internet?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (24 posts)
  1. suzzycue profile image86
    suzzycueposted 9 years ago

I write how-to and recipe hubs. I know the recipe hubs will make money eventually but I have read that technical hubs get more views. What is your thoughts or experience on this topic?

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I really don't know for sure other than present trends. I think it is discovering a niche for writing articles in a popular trend that is pretty 'green'. Like recipes are green and trends come and go while cycling with seasons. Baked chicken vs. grilled chicken with winter and summer. Probably need both articles to keep the portfolio strong when an article is discovered.

What Crazyhorseghost shares with me most with the food topics are on the fly foods for the hectic lifestyles we live today. I am thankful for that insight shared. Meatballs can be grilled, baked, stewed, and who knows how many ways served. Swedish, Mexican (Albagonda), and so forth. Tons of articles. One could become the meatball expert of the internet smile

suzzycueposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you tsmog. I am getting the idea. That's why I write mostly frugal,fast recipes with very little ingredients so even college kids and families on tight budgets can still learn to eat good.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image92
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

I think both of those are good topics - no  need to pick and choose - do both, and see which one works better for you.  It really depends on the content - whether it meets what people are looking for, and whether you have presented it well.

Thank you Millionaire Tips. I hear that it is about content and presentation.

3. RichFatCat profile image85
    RichFatCatposted 9 years ago

You can start with Google/trends and type in "recipe" to find out the top related words being searched with recipe.  This might give you an ideal of what most people are searching for. 
    A good strategy is to make recipes that use those keywords.

If recipes are your specialty, keep doing it, just give the public what it's searching for and skip the rest.

You might try focusing on "product-centered" recipes, like making a cake using the new mixer for example.  Focus your writing on the use of the product which has a high value and you can add as the Amazon advertisement. 

It's hard to make money with recipes when all you can sell in the ads are $10 recipe books that your readers didn't want anyway, they read you hub because they wanted a free recipe......

My passion is technical writing and I have the same problem as....

1. drpennypincher profile image85
      drpennypincherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

RichFatCat, thanks for mentioning the Google Trends search- I had not seen this before.  Very interesting!

1. crazyhorsesghost profile image70
        crazyhorsesghostposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You can do really well with recipes. Especially if you can create a popular blog with your own adsense on it where you get paid 100 percent of the money.

But I do very well here at Hub Pages with my Recipe Hubs. I have some that have half a million views and a few with almost a million views. I'll even tell you here that the most popular foods on the top foods list is.

1. Chocolate Cake

2. Meatballs

3. Pork Chops

4. Chocolate Chip Cookies

5. Pasta Salad

6. Bread

7. Spaghetti

8. Pasta Sauce

9. Banana Bread

10. Baked Chicken

I'm going to give you an example here. Make a Hub Page called Amazing Baked Chicken Recipes. Make sure that your main key word which is " Baked Chicken " is used 2.5 - 2.7 percent on the entire Hub Page.

Have the long tail key word " Amazing Baked Chicken Recipes " to show up on the Hub Page 2.5 to 2.7 percent.

If you can bake a chicken and take photos of it. Then cut it up and make photos of it. Write good descriptions in the Title of the Photo Capsule. Give yourself credit for your photos in the Source Box. Write a great description of what is in the photo under it.

Chocolate Cake is the most searched food item right now.

I hope that helps someone.

@crazyhorsesghost boy did it ever help. A million views for recipes is exciting and awesome. Well done. I appreciate the list and thank you for the writing lesson. Great advice. I am excited now.

2. tsmog profile image84
          tsmogposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Amazing! Thank you for sharing. I learned  . . . Do you do a lot of SEO techniques besides those shared? I am rethinking everything. Kind of a clean slate approach writing just to keep stats up for now. I am happy and offer a congrats with discovering a niche that works smile

2. suzzycue profile image86

@RichFatCat I have been having trouble seeing how keywords work. I appreciate your info on google trends and writing tips. Thank you.

4. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

The most popular topics on the internet can often be over-saturated and/or highly-competitive, making them not the best choices frequently.

You want to write about something that will be more popular a year from now.

1. literal profile image71
      literalposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes I've been advised of that too.

1. profile image0
        RandomCanidaeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I decided to turn a short story into Hubs to resolve Adsense issues, and now  Googling the title (which is mentioned only once in each Hub) pulls up all of them even when they had no views.

Hey RandomCanidae. That is great that they all came up. I have done the same experiment typing in Suzzycue to see how many of my hubs come up and I was really surprised.

2. suzzycue profile image86

OH  @relache That is a very interesting concept that i didn't think of. So what you are saying is to be unique somehow.

5. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 9 years ago

To be blatantly honest, the most popular topics on the internet are cats, Doctor Who, Attack on Titan, Godzilla, "Let It Go," all things Disney, Pusheen (goes along with cats), Firefly, bacon, and Game of Thrones.

Thank you Zelkiiro. I guess I could do some thing with bacon but the rest I know nothing about.

6. misslong123 profile image83
    misslong123posted 9 years ago

I wish I cooked more. But I do think I could do how to articles well. Thanks for the advice.

Thank you @misslong123 My DIY articles get most of my views and I recieved  a star featured board on Pinterest. So write them.

7. misslong123 profile image83
    misslong123posted 9 years ago

I wish I cooked more. But I do think I could do how to articles well. Thanks for the advice.

8. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Yesterday's HubWeekly has a list of topics for the summer.

Thank you @janshares I will check that out.

9. Kelsey Camille profile image60
    Kelsey Camilleposted 9 years ago

I think both of those are very popular base topics, if you can incorporate what's popular right now, and even more so what will stay trendy for a long time that's best.  I also find that people often search for "tips/tricks" for many things.  From losing weight, to cooking and games, etc.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)