jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Photo Capsule Overhaul?

1. Deathmonkey7 profile image61
    Deathmonkey7posted 2 years ago

The photo capsule as it is seems pretty inconvenient. It has very few formatting options and can sometimes really stomp on using images creatively in hubs. Here's a couple of suggestions I have:

1) Format left - This could be pretty simply done by just allowing capsules that are aligned right to be placed beside the photo capsule in the same way that a right-aligned photo capsule can be placed next to a text capsule. It can sometimes be beneficial to align a photo to the left either to break up the page a bit or to associate an image more closely with a specific section of text.

2) Image size options - If you have a smaller image the photo capsule can be incredibly frustrating. A simple option for "Do not resize" would even be enough.

As an example of where these options would have been useful: My first hub was a tutorial that explained the features of a program. In a section that described what the buttons do I wanted to place a small image of the button on the left with a description next to it that explains what that button does. Unfortunately, the photo capsule made that impossible so I had to settle for using a resized image with numbers associated with the descriptions. It wasn't an ideal solution, but it was all I could do with what I was allowed.

What do you guys think?

1. 0
      sheilamyersposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I totally agree with you. I don't know how often I would use a function so images don't get resized, but I like the idea. As for being able to use graphics on the left side of text, I would love it. I think it would add some variety to the layout of hubs and enable us to better place them where they would be the most useful for the readers.

2. calculus-geometry profile image85
      calculus-geometryposted 2 years ago in reply to this

People have been asking for the left-float option for years but the answer has always been no. Lots of people would like that option and I don't think you'll get many arguments against it.

As for image resizing, if you have a small image that you don't want the image capsule to blow up, the easiest solution is to add white space around it.

1. Deathmonkey7 profile image61
        Deathmonkey7posted 2 years ago in reply to this

The float left response is more than a little disappointing.

That image resize solution is not ideal for a couple reasons, though. 1 is that the white space still pushes text around it and 2 the image would be impossible to see on a mobile devices due to resizing to fit.