jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Photo Capsule Overhaul?

1. Deathmonkey7 profile image60
    Deathmonkey7posted 3 years ago

The photo capsule as it is seems pretty inconvenient. It has very few formatting options and can sometimes really stomp on using images creatively in hubs. Here's a couple of suggestions I have:

1) Format left - This could be pretty simply done by just allowing capsules that are aligned right to be placed beside the photo capsule in the same way that a right-aligned photo capsule can be placed next to a text capsule. It can sometimes be beneficial to align a photo to the left either to break up the page a bit or to associate an image more closely with a specific section of text.

2) Image size options - If you have a smaller image the photo capsule can be incredibly frustrating. A simple option for "Do not resize" would even be enough.

As an example of where these options would have been useful: My first hub was a tutorial that explained the features of a program. In a section that described what the buttons do I wanted to place a small image of the button on the left with a description next to it that explains what that button does. Unfortunately, the photo capsule made that impossible so I had to settle for using a resized image with numbers associated with the descriptions. It wasn't an ideal solution, but it was all I could do with what I was allowed.

What do you guys think?

1. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I totally agree with you. I don't know how often I would use a function so images don't get resized, but I like the idea. As for being able to use graphics on the left side of text, I would love it. I think it would add some variety to the layout of hubs and enable us to better place them where they would be the most useful for the readers.

2. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 3 years ago in reply to this

People have been asking for the left-float option for years but the answer has always been no. Lots of people would like that option and I don't think you'll get many arguments against it.

As for image resizing, if you have a small image that you don't want the image capsule to blow up, the easiest solution is to add white space around it.

1. Deathmonkey7 profile image60
        Deathmonkey7posted 3 years ago in reply to this

The float left response is more than a little disappointing.

That image resize solution is not ideal for a couple reasons, though. 1 is that the white space still pushes text around it and 2 the image would be impossible to see on a mobile devices due to resizing to fit.

working