Stupid Question about Analytics and HP stats

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 9 years ago

I am not very intelligent when it comes to traffic stats, so sue me..lol

Why is Google Analytics stats more than the HP stats for the same period? Before you assume that Google logs my visits to my hubs, let me clarify that I have hardly been visiting my own hubs. I have an excess of 400+ visitors on Analytics than I do HP. It is somewhere in the region of where my traffic was two months ago. I lost around 400/day or so visitors from my HP stats.

Just wondering if there is anything to it.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
      LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

As the saying goes...stupid is as stupid does.....lol,  I guess I'm stupid  since I have no idea how to interpret  the stats. Glad you brought this up

2. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Are you looking at the overall views for the subdomain at Analytics? That includes views at questions too. You can go to behavior and content drill down to look at /hub/, /question/, and /slide/ to get specifics to hubs only. However I have always noticed that difference too. Maybe it is as wilderness suggests with the HP update time (seen at the upper right of the stats page) with rollover too. Otherwise any best guess is probably better than I can come up with.

Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, that could be it. As I said, I'm stupid when it comes to these things.

2. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image95
    Beth Eaglescliffeposted 9 years ago

Interesting question!
    I've just taken a look at my figures and, like you, I also have more page views on Google Analytics than for the same period according to HP figures. The difference in the figures is about the same number of times that I've viewed my own hubs when editing etc. So maybe HP takes off the hub-writer's own views from their totals?

3. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 9 years ago

What time period are you looking at?  With the difference in a day and a rolling 24 hours, it is difficult to get a comparison.

Also, HP used to count slide shows differently, while analytics did not - I'm not sure what HP is doing now with those views, if they even count them at all.

Wilderness, it's more like certain dates such as yesterday May 6. I had a basic average here on HP but when I check the stats on Google it's way different.

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm still not understanding.  According to analytics, my daily views vary by over 600 per day, on a fairly regular wave pattern. 

HP, on the other hand, does not show what the traffic was yesterday, unless you check it at 12:00 midnight, PST.  Any other time it is just the preceding 24 hours.

Oh, maybe that's where I'm getting mixed up. I keep thinking that the stats are current, much like GA. Even it's far less than what Analytics show. Thanks Wilderness smile

1. wilderness profile image93
            wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

They are (probably) reasonably current, but are on that rolling basis instead of a day basis.  GA measures midnight to midnight (PST) while HP measures the preceding 24 hours.  If it's 10AM, HP stats are showing all views since 10AM the prior morning while GA are showing all views since midnight.  If you're looking at GA for the prior day(s), it will be from midnight to midnight.

2. awordlover profile image89
          awordloverposted 9 years agoin reply to this

HP's EVER and 30DAYS are the two stats I look at on this account because in my opinion, the other columns are not stable or reliable. 

Whenever I see the red triangles showing rising traffic, it is sometimes the robots roaming to do their thing, but usually it is real human visitors which I verify with GA to see who is on this account in Real Time. Usually there are about 50 to 75 visitors at a time. Going down the column to see who they are, 2 or 3 are google bots or other search engine bots, which have permission to roam and the rest are humans..

ON HP stats, this account averages about 3,000 views a week, so when I look at the 7 DAY stat, it never says the full 3,000. It will say like 2650. When I look at the 30 Day stat, that is where the 3,000x 4weeks shows that it was actually 3000 per week. HP stats are not real time, or real day and sometimes not even real week, so that is why I say they are not reliable.

Going over to GA, it is a close but not that close. GA always shows about 200 to 300 more than HP, and I'm assuming they count the robots where HP does not.

4. mbasa profile image38
    mbasaposted 9 years ago

From what I read somewhere online, different platforms track stats differently however it seems like whatever GA says is your stats, then take it as the gospel.  That is all I know.

5. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

The Analytics total also includes your profile page views. And others have mentioned the Q&A. Subtracting those two does get the HP total and the Analytics total reasonably close together. Leastwise they have for me.

6. profile image0
    cjnileskiposted 9 years ago

I'm too new to know all about the stats and such yet.  But as far as asking stupid questions, there are none.  That's how we all learn is to ask questions.  Had a co-worker few months say "There is no such thing as a stupid question".  After pondering this a moment, I realized she was and still is right!!

7. wheelinallover profile image75
    wheelinalloverposted 9 years ago

Since I have four ways to bring visitors to my hubs Analytics on Google are not always correct. Bounces also are counted by analytics where they are not by hub pages. A person must stay on your hub for a certain length of time to be counted by hub pages.

I like you show a much higher number of visitors on Google Analytics than I do from hub pages. It doesn't worry me. I have no time to write hubs now anyway. At least not to the quality that will bring in visitors.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)