Annoying Comments

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (50 posts)
  1. kittythedreamer profile image73
    kittythedreamerposted 9 years ago

Do you all ever get soooo many negative comments on a single hub that you just get tired of dealing with it? If it was all positive comments that wouldn't bother me, heck I even like a good debate from time to time...but to have hundreds of comments from random people trying to shame my writing or my points gets old. I found myself just today disabling comments on a few hubs...because I'm just tired of dealing with it. Anyone found themselves in this boat before?

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, I haven't, but then most of my hubs are not weighty... they do not evoke a great outpouring of... much of anything. lol
      So maybe that says good stuff about your hub(s). Maybe it says what you're writing is controversial or at least it draws a response. That's a good thing, in that respect.
      I think disabling comments is a good idea. Give yourself a break and enjoy writing the hubs for a while, without having to deal with any negativity.

2. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What are you writing about?  I usually get a lot of positive, although I don't get many comments at all.  Once in a while two crazy people will start a discussion in my comments section (it has happened), but I don't get bad comments.  If I did, I don't think I would take it too personally.

3. awordlover profile image90
      awordloverposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Do the 2-step.

1. first, go to their profile and report - pick one off the list - spam, abuse, other .

2. then go to your comments and choose - delete  or do not approve.

I used to disable comments, but stopped because disabling comments means the majority of readers won't be able to communicate with you and it is not worth losing a lot of readers for the few who are just rude.

4. bethperry profile image83
      bethperryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hey Kitty, sorry to hear you're experiencing this problem. Being familiar with your writing, I am guessing here that the negative comments on your Hubs are mainly coming from religious zealots and bigots? If so, know that you're not alone. Those kind of haters are the reason I had to implement the Moderation tool across the board for comments on my Hubs. It is unfortunate and it takes up your time to login and read the comments for approval or not, but we can look on it as a necessary burden. I am pretty sure that once a hater realizes their trash is not being aired, he or she will go looking for another outlet to spew the trash. And by ignoring their useless tirades, you spare your other readers from tedious b.s. that doesn't contribute to a healthy discussion for anyone.

1. modernalchemyst profile image90
        modernalchemystposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Kitty, you are definitely not alone! I've done the same thing, moderating comments because of the flood of religious zealots. They seem particularly keen to search out pagan-related Hubbers and go on tirades in circles that have nothing to do with them. You'd think people wouldn't take the time out of their day to read a Hub if the title and topic are obviously so offensive to them.

Anonymous commenters are especially an issue. I recently had a particularly inflammatory commenter who decided to use my Hub to spam his own religious agenda pose as someone else. Never ceases to amaze how much extra time some people have on their hands.

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image87
      DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm so sorry to hear you're having such a problem!  I, for one, love your Hubs.  They are well-presented and thought out, and I look forward to reading many more.
      I had some similar problems, mostly with 'guest' commenters, so I did take the step of setting my comments to 'must be approved prior to publication.'  It has worked.  Since I've done that, I've had very few such comments on any hub.
      I've only had to deny a single comment from a Hub pages fellow author, and I wrote them an e-mail explaining why:  it was a movie review, and I promised not to give away the ending, but the person's comment did give away the ending, and I could not have that! wink

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
        Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I also have my settings for "'must be approved prior to publication.' " and yes, it does work just fine. Thank goodness for that tool.

6. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes, on some of my hubs on the family, I receive PLENTY of negative comments.  However, I D-E-L-E-T-E those that are TOO TRYING if you know what I mean!   If you feel such negative comments to be be beyond the pale, SIMPLY D-E-L-E-T-E!

7. moonlake profile image81
      moonlakeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have received a few bad comments calling me names. I don't let them go through, but I don't disable my comments. One guy called me a name because we didn't sell our house on Craigslist. At that time there wasn't a Craigslist and I don't know if we would have used it anyway. Your better off to just cut them off and not let them go into comments.

8. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Kitty. I have gotten many annoying comments over the time I have been here. Usually I delete them because they are not relevant to the hub, so I refuse to spend my valuable time on them. A few of them I have approved and replied to. For example, on a hub with the subject of doll crafting, another hubber commented, "My God! Who cares...Get a life!"

My instant reaction was anger that someone had the gall to say that, but as I started to delete the comment, I decided to reply to it -- mainly because I wanted to hold a mirror up to his face and turn him back to himself for some self-awareness and so he could see how rude and quite unnecessary his comment was. I mean, why on Earth would anyone seek out a hub on a topic he has no interest in other than just to release some pent up anger or something. LOL

I do understand though, why you get so tired of annoying comments. Some of my topics are controversial and I have gotten such comments.

Do not ever stop writing on your subjects you have a passion for just because of rude or ignorant people.  I love your hubs.

9. profile image0
      swilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi, I’m sorry to hear of your frustration, I understand your annoyance, I will tell you this, the more you grow as a writer the more criticism will come your way. I have found that those who insult others are often envious because perhaps they could not  think of a topic, or maybe they are resentful of your success.  A comment often reflects either the hateful core of a person or positive spirit of a person. Keep comments that are uplifting, one of the beautiful aspects of writing for the Hubpages is that you don’t have acknowledge rued people, you can delete them from your space. Keep up the insightful work, run your own race and don’t worry about those who try and trip you up. Continued Blessings!

1. gmwilliams profile image85

Definitely, I was called an elitist among other things.  SWilliams, you are correct in your synopsis as usual.

10. lorddraven2000 profile image90
      lorddraven2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have had a few negitive comments that were just some trolls being trolls. I usually will not post any comment unless it is legit.

11. sripoonam profile image60
      sripoonamposted 9 years agoin reply to this

WHEN you critisism take it as an opportunity and boomerang

2. cfin profile image64
    cfinposted 9 years ago

As a writer, it's best to get used to feedback whether it be positive or negative. A huge portion of your views will come from people who are searching the topic because they are against it. Be impartial when writing and you can remain impartial and the audience will target the topic rather than the writer. If you take a side, expect people to target you, for there is not one topic that exists without an opposing side.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image87
      DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

True, but in the minds of some, and I'm sure these are the ones kitty is dealing with, even writing about a topic implies 'taking a side.'
      There is no cure for ignorance or stupidity, and haters fall into those categories.  It is sad.

1. cfin profile image64
        cfinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Indeed. The ignorant always throw a hissy fit. I enjoy a discussion, however, some people become "crazy" sometimes. I just ignore them and go about my day. If someone has a separate opinion though, I find that it's best for both sides to listen, understand and take in whats on display. The sharing of knowledge, if you will.

2. kittythedreamer profile image73
      kittythedreamerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I should have been more specific...it's not the "negative" comments per se that irritate me...it's the downright rude and nasty comments that I can't stand to see over and over and over again on the same hubs. I have since disabled comments as I can't handle the twenty some I get a day.

3. WiccanSage profile image91
    WiccanSageposted 9 years ago

Sorry to hear that negative comments are coming in like that. I haven't gotten that on HP yet, but I've been freelancing for like 12 years now and there have been pieces I've written that people came and just ripped apart in comments or letters to the editor or whatever. It is an unfortunate part of the job, the nature of the beast I guess you could say.

I have learned to not let it get to me (though it is hard not to take it personally sometimes because sometimes people don't just disagree with your points but the attack your skills, intelligence and moral character as well). I try to look at it as generating interest, and the more interest that comes in the more people who find the article useful will find their way to it. That's who I'm really writing for. I keep reminding myself that everyone's entitled to an opinion and it doesn't invalidate mine, and when someone is deliberately mean (beyond just disagreement) it says more about them than it says about me. I also try to keep myself open to healthy (even heated) debates.

Hubpages is such a supportive environment in comparison to a lot of other websites or magazines and newspapers (especially those that really welcome the attention, negative or positive, just to get views). So far I haven't been hit with much negativity, though I haven't been around as long as you have and don't have as big an audience. Since this is such a supportive place, it would make sense to delete comments if you felt they were just detracting from the enjoyment of the readers who seek out your articles to learn something.

4. ESPeck1919 profile image86
    ESPeck1919posted 9 years ago

When it comes to negative comments on HubPages, the only ones I've received are from people trying to bate me into online drama about topics relating to the paranormal or alternative health. I tend not to take it personally, and I don't publish the comments that are either obvious trolls or that make no sense.

I do know how it feels to get personal attacks, though. Those generally fall under the "troll" category, though if they're too threatening, it's worth reporting them as abusive. When it comes to advice on writing, though, those can be useful.

It's a good idea to disable comments if it gets overwhelming, though. I'm sorry you're dealing with that, though. I rather like your hubs, too.

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

Someone picked on my chili recipe hub once. I was deeply saddened. big_smile

1. cfin profile image64
      cfinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It gave me gas!! sad

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 9 years agoin reply to this

lol

6. Kiss andTales profile image59
    Kiss andTalesposted 9 years ago

I have received more criticized from forums then for my hubs, or commits on questions, once you post anything it is open to everyone ,it becomes public concern, good or bad feed back is reality of how people really feel, and you will learn a lot, because they will tell you the truth not to pretend  or cover up ,but it is real as you get. I am just so surprise how so many people do not believe in God. And he is supplying the Orygen?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Origin? Orgasm? Oxygen? Oxymoron? Optimism?

7. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 9 years ago

I used to argue back, but that just fuels the fire. These days I will leave the comment for a few days till they realise that I am not going to answer, then when I know they have gone I just delete it.

1. WiccanSage profile image91
      WiccanSageposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is a good way to handle it.

8. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

If people want to disagree with your beliefs and act like bigots or anything else let them. If your beliefs are strong then it should not matter to you if someone disagrees with you..

Publish the comments! - it lets the readers see both sides of a story and if the person is being a real 4ss then they will be the ones that look stupid not you.

I write about Saudi Arabia; at times some of the comments I get are very abusive and will try to counter what I have written, as long as they are not using profanities or being threatening I publish them! Why not? I don't however get into protracted arguments or try to tell them that they are wrong!

Every comment you get adds to the length of your hub, provides additional text for the search engines and shows Google that the readers are interacting with your content - delete them and Google will think no one is reading your hubs!

1. modernalchemyst profile image90
      modernalchemystposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A fair point you make there. I publish 95% of comments save for the reasons you mentioned, but it's still nice to have the option to screen them when those 5% come along. I have to admit, I do give in to the urge to respond to some particularly ill-informed commenters here and there. Particularly one who wasn't able to distinguish the concepts of ethnicity and religion.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
        Jean Bakulaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I always liked your hubs. Religious zealots and political people who have strong views are the worst, they want to write a book. I delete those if they get out of control. I usually had more problems on the forums. Hope it gets better. Don't waste time arguing with people like that.

9. Tyler Bracken profile image60
    Tyler Brackenposted 9 years ago

I kept getting one person commenting. I think they were on the verge of some sort of breakdown as they thought the world was coming to an end - that, or they were simply trolling.

Yes, my problems are usually with one or two individuals who frequently go on the same hubs and post comments that are threatening or downright nasty. They aren't fellow hubbers, though...they are from the google search engines or wherever else...which makes it even stranger that they spend their time harassing me. It's not that they "upset" me...like I said, it just gets old after awhile ya know? Thanks!

10. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

I never delete comments unless they are direct attacks, if it is an opinion based hub. If it is a fact based hub (not religion or politics type hubs) then I only delete if they are posting spam or non factual or possibly harmful comments. Those that disagree are entitled to, on opinion based hubs. If I don't feel like debating I just approve and move on. However when I write any topic that could be controversial I expect negative comments. If it bothered me too much I think I would just stop writing that type of hubs.

Unfortunately my best hubs are the ones that generate controversy. So I don't plan to stop writing them. And these comments are direct attacks, saying awfully nasty things to me that I find rather harassing...not just people expressing opinions. Thank you.

1. WiccanSage profile image91
        WiccanSageposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am so sorry to hear that kitty, as you are one of the sweetest, most positive and unoffensive writers on hubpages; differences of opinion is understandable (even though it's still no excuse to get rude), it's one thing to attack opinions though but it's absolutely terrible that people would target you for personal attacks. I would hate to see you stop producing your wonderful hubs over  this! What a sad loss!

11. old albion profile image61
    old albionposted 9 years ago

I think your work is excellent. There are unfortunately many views on similar topics. I am sure you accept it as being part of Hub life. I know it can however be so frustrating, carry on regardless. Do not be downhearted.
    Best wishes.
    Graham.

12. kittythedreamer profile image73
    kittythedreamerposted 9 years ago

That's very kind of you, WiccanSage. I appreciate your words of support. smile I'm not going anywhere, don't worry about it. wink I just like to vent sometimes hehe.

13. Kathleen Cochran profile image80
    Kathleen Cochranposted 9 years ago

kittythedreamer:  Your hubber score is one-flipping-hundred.  Who gives a flying fig about a few negative comments?  You are obviously writing great stuff and -even better- evoking strong feelings among your readers.  Isn't that what writers want? 

I don't believe in deleting comments.  We put it out there and we take what comes.  Good, bad, indifferent (which is my least favorite!)  Keep it up!

LOL, thanks Kathleen. All very good points. I leave comments that are respectful, but if someone is attacking me just for the fun of it...I tend to delete it.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image80
        Kathleen Cochranposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am glad to read you don't get as many on HP as other sites.  I'd like to think most hubbers are kind to each other even when we disagree.  Deleting is a personal choice - no judgement.

14. robhampton profile image93
    robhamptonposted 9 years ago

Ya,  I get a few,  but that's expected in this biz.  Don't worry about it

15. Suhail and my dog profile image80
    Suhail and my dogposted 9 years ago

I won't mind getting negative comments, which I don't get. I will be making my hubs more controversial in the days to come to get some negative comments lol.

Negative comments for you mean that you are getting noticed.

1. gmwilliams profile image85

I receive plenty of negative comments on my family hubs!

16. DzyMsLizzy profile image87
    DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years ago

I agree about deleting and moderating, but I also tend to have a bit of a thin skin, so I can see where you are coming from, and how that could be very annoying.

If I write a hub that I think will be a real hot-button issue, and bring out the haters, I will simply disable comments for that hub.
    However, I've not written any such hubs as yet....  wink

17. crazyhorsesghost profile image69
    crazyhorsesghostposted 9 years ago

I set my comment settings to where the person has to be logged in. It cut down on comments but I had some really bad stalkers for some reason. But that setting stopped all but one of them and Hub Pages deleted the account of the one that registered so he could keep up his harassment. Most were on my Ghost Hubs telling me why the Bible says no ghosts can exist. Incidentally the Bible does not say that.

Oh good idea! I forgot there was a setting for that. Thanks!

18. Aneegma profile image70
    Aneegmaposted 9 years ago

I can so relate to you on this. My highest earning hub is plagued daily with more negative comments than positive ones, but I try not to stress myself out about it. All I do is approve the ones that are positive or offer a reasonable debate but the rude offensive ones I just don't approve them. Most of the negative comments are usually from guest users who are not hubbers so ignore them. If you are getting rude comments from hubbers then I suggest you report them as abuse to the hub pages staff.

Exactly! I'm glad someone can relate though. smile

19. Dean Traylor profile image95
    Dean Traylorposted 9 years ago

It's not the rude ones that bother me much. It's the incoherent or nit-pickers that bother me. I haven't had many of them on this site, but on the former one I was on, I'd get a lot of them. It comes with the territory in most cases. Unfortunately, there are a lot of trolls out there. I guess they get bored sitting in mother's basement and need to reach out and insult someone. BTW, the climate change deniers and conspiracy theorists are the worst.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)