Your Hubpages Success

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ipackratposted 9 years ago

So I I've been on hubpages for a couple weeks now and have created 7 great hubs, but haven't got many views and just enough change to buy a pack of gum. I originally thought that I could earn a decent side income after a couple years, but now I'm starting to wonder if I will ever get there. Dont get me wrong, I defiantly like to write about topics that interest me, but im starting to get overwhelmed. I literally get up at 8 am, do my morning routine and then start writing for hubpages at 9am but dont finish until 4 pm. I'm going back to college soon so I defiantly wont have time to write hubs, at least not during the week, but I was just wondering if you guys had any success with hubpages or if your in the same boat as me. I just thought that hubpages would be similar to youtube in the way that that it provides it's content publishers with a decent consistent income, similar to a job in the sense that you're working for and with the company not just uploding or giving your content to the company. But maybe I'm just not at that level of success yet so I would like learn about you hubbers' success.

How long does it take you to write a hub on average?
    How long have you been on hub pages?
    How many hubs have you written?
    Would you say that you're earning a decent size income on the side?

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8942254_f248.jpg

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What makes you say that about Youtube?   I do know people who earn an income there from advertising, but it does require effort and it takes time to build up a body of work, just like HubPages - unless you're lucky and something goes viral. 

If you're talking from experience and you're earning well from Youtube then my advice would be to stick with it.

2. lilmissmontana profile image78
    lilmissmontanaposted 9 years ago

If you are looking for instant income, you are in the wrong place. It's good that you enjoy writing, because I truly think that is what this site is for. The community is wonderful, the Hubs are informative and interesting, and we all enjoy what we do. I have been here for two year, not consistently, and I don't make a ton of money, but I'm not too worried. Success comes from time, experience, and dedication, like anything else in life. Keep at it and you will find your success, whether it is financial or not.

Do you use social media to promote your hubs? This has had the biggest impact on my traffic. I have a twitter, facebook, Google+, and Pinterest and I try to use them all to my benefit. Also, get involved with the community. Visit and read other Hubbers' Hubs. Post forum topics, answer questions. The more connections you make, the better your success. Keep it up and don't lose faith. Those who are making enough to not have a "day job" didn't start here a month ago. They have been at it, worked hard for it, and continue to focus their effort here.

1. profile image0
      ipackratposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I actually agree with you 100%. I think I just had my expectations up way too high. And thanks for the advice, I dont get involved in social media too much, but I think contributing within the community and its forums is a good way to make myself known.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

If you are spending all that time and have only 7 hubs you need to find a more efficient method.  I am not sure what kind of income you want but think in the range of *hundreds* of hubs for real money. Find a way to write them in an hour or maybe two, not several days.

1. profile image0
      ipackratposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, ill take your advice, although it will be a bit of a challenge to write a hub in a couple of hours.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't necessarily have to be hundreds of hubs. I have 63 on this account and earn a few hundred per month. Some of my hubs have been written in half an hour. If you write what you know, and use good basic SEO in non saturated topics, you can do well. It just takes time - the other a hub is, the more traffic it generally gets.

4. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

HI... Welcome to HP and to writing online..

Some of us actually earn a full time income online (not just writing on HP but using other sites including our own..)

To earn you need traffic - obvious yes? So;

The secret is not all about SEO although that has its place - its about writing about the right things in the first place..

Firstly - how many people are actually going to type in the search term you are targeting - if no one does then you can be pretty sure you will get zero traffic. Google keyword tool comes in handy here.....

Secondly - What is the competition like? If you are going to go head to head with established sites guess what - you will likely lose until you build a better reputation online. Do the search of what you want to write about and see what is on the first page..

So for "Top 10 Grossing Movies of All Time" Google is going to show "Variety.com" and other well established huge websites.. Do you think that Google is going to see a standalone hub on here as being authoritative?

The art of writing online is either to write about something that no one else is writing about and has lots of people searching for it (the holy grail of online writing that everyone is searching for!) OR to write about a subject and become a real authority on it..

Of course you may just get lucky - but unlikely if you just write in the manner that everyone was being advised to 4-5 years ago....

Writing online is not a get rich scheme and you are not guaranteed anything - try, learn, adapt, and work your bits off!! Don't sit there and complain that your first try does not work....

5. isharkbait profile image91
    isharkbaitposted 9 years ago

You will get there. It just takes time. I started writing last summer, and I only earned a couple of pennies each day. After a couple of months I started getting more, or course I also had many more hubs and hundreds more views each day. I got my first payout last month and right now I'm earning nearly a dollar each day. That means I'll get a payout every two months. If this trend continues then I should be getting paid each month soon, and eventually it will be more than $50 each month. It just takes time.

Now, the part that concerns me is that you say it takes you all day to write a hub. To me, that doesn't seem like a good use of time. When I first started I would take a couple of hours, just because I didn't really know what I was doing. Now, I can knock out a good quality hub in an hour or so. If it takes a few days to get a hub down so be it. Trust me, you will have time to write hubs while your in school. I'll give you a tip: if I were you I would write about things you are learning in school. If you come across a topic that you don't quite get do some research and write a hub. Chances are if you have issues then so do other people, and what are they going to do? Google it. If they can get all the info at your hub that increases your views, and possibly your revenue. As an added bonus the best way to find out if you understand something is to try teaching someone else. That's how I did several of my hubs and they all done fairly well.

Best of luck!

6. profile image0
    paintgirleeposted 9 years ago

Sounds like you're doing great to me. I have five featured hubs and haven't earned anything! Hang in there.

7. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Welcome to HP, ipackrat. You're on the right track with seven hubs in two weeks. It takes a while to see significant income. Tenacity and patience will get you through. You raise the same concerns most of us raised when we joined. It does get better with hard work. But don't expect a whole lot of money. The phrases, "decent side income" and "decent consistent income" are relative to each hubber's goal. "Decent" to me is making at least $50 every month to fill my gas tank. I've been here for about 20 months with 69 hubs and haven't reached that goal yet. But I'm close enough now to see that it is possible. As others have said, the keys to success, as far as income is concerned, is having a lot of quality hubs and a lot of traffic. Also add a sprinkle of luck. Enjoy your time here, peace.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)