jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Short stories based on true stories

1. DaveOnline profile image87
    DaveOnlineposted 2 years ago

If I write a short story that is based on a true story should I mention this at the beginning of the hub? Or should I leave it to the reader to figure out if it's based on a true story? Will it make any difference either way?
    Many thanks for any response from experienced hubbers.

1. 0
      sheilamyersposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I wouldn't mention the fact at all unless it was at the end so that readers could look up the facts of the real story if they're interested enough. I did write a fictional interview with a character from one of my novels and mentioned that fact at the end simply because I didn't want people going around thinking he was a real person.

2. Availiasvision profile image91
    Availiasvisionposted 2 years ago

Great question!  I personally like it when I don't know the author's own story or know that the story was based on aspects of his or her life.  It is the same with celebrities.  If you knew Brad Pitt super well, you'd have a harder time taking his seriously as a character in a film.  Knowing too much about the real world, dissuades the audience from fiction's suspended disbelief.

For me, when I read a fantastic story, but then are told by the author that it was based on a true story, I then see the brilliant work of words as the author's personal diary. 

I want to believe in the piece of fiction as a stand alone.  Honestly, when a writer writes a jaw dropping story, I think of the author as a genius for coming up with it.   

I'm sure others will have differing opinions.  For me, it is personal taste.

3. Mark Lees profile image86
    Mark Leesposted 2 years ago

Unless there is a compelling reason to tell the reader I wouldn't tell them. Almost all fiction we read is based on some level on real events, usually the reader does not need to know to what degree the story is based on reality.

If it is based on people you know be careful to ensure that the characters are sufficiently different from the reality to protect you from any legal issues.

4. DaveOnline profile image87
    DaveOnlineposted 2 years ago

Thanks for your replies, guess I should rather not say what stories are based on true ones unless I really feel I want the readers to know that, for whatever reason, Dave