jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)

Question about commenting

1. profile image0
    LisaKeatingposted 3 years ago

As a retired English teacher, I find myself wanting to make comments about the writing and layout rather than just strictly the content. Is that appropriate? Also, is it appropriate to point out things like spelling errors in titles? I read a hub where every use of "dessert" (for a pie) was spelled "desert." I don't want to offend. We all make typos and such. Thoughts?

1. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think a lot of hubbers would appreciate being told if a hub is full of mistakes so they can edit and make corrections. However, there are some who don't care. My suggestion would be to use the contact link on their profile page. In the email, explain why you're writing and kindly point out the mistakes. I'd also ask them if they want me to continue sending them helpful hints. If they say no, I'd drop it.

1. Barbara Kay profile image88
        Barbara Kayposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree and that is the way I've handled it in the past. Don't overdo it though or they will be offended.

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

Anyone pointing out an error in one of my hubs gets a free hug from paradigmsearch. Film at 11.

3. profile image0
    LisaKeatingposted 3 years ago

I don't see a contact button the profile page. Where is it?

1. profile image0
      LisaKeatingposted 3 years ago in reply to this

*on the contact page

1. profile image0

Along the right hand side, you should see a list - followers, following, fan mail, etc. If you click on fanmail, there's a link above the messages people have left that says "Send [person's name] an email". I don't use it often, so I don't know if people can disable the link or not.

4. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 3 years ago

There's no harm in pointing out an obvious typo via the comments.  After the author fixes the mistake he or she can delete the comment and it will be as if nothing happened. smile

Some authors might get snippy with you, but a normal person who cares about the quality of his or her work will be thankful.  Personally I would only do it if the mistakes were infrequent and minor.  If there errors are pervasive the person is probably beyond help and it's best just to flag for low-quality.

5. word55 profile image76
    word55posted 3 years ago

Hi Lisa, if you want to help make any correction I think the hubber would appreciate it better by your going via the "fan mail" on their profile page. That way it is done privately and more tactfully. I'll show you by going through your profile page and then you can respond to me if you would like. -smile

6. word55 profile image76
    word55posted 3 years ago

Oh, I think you must follow them first, in order for the fan mail to permit you to contact them. I just tried sending you a message but I need to go back and follow you so, let's follow each other. -smile

1. Au fait profile image95
      Au faitposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You don't have to follow a hubber in order to send them an e-mail as described by shellamyers above.  Do not put corrections or suggestions in fan mail.  Be sure it's in the email which you can access through fan mail as shellamyers recommended.

E-mail can be disabled and a few hubbers have done that.

Personally, I would appreciate being informed of any glaring mistakes in my writing and you can even put it in a comment if you like since my comments do not go public until they are approved.  I could then delete the comment after I make the correction and send you a big thank you!

1. profile image0

Thanks Au fait. I don't plan to go through a bunch of hubs and point out errors. I would hope that if I have made a big mistake (which I often do) that someone would gently let me know. It seems like every time I post a comment that I make an error or two. Guess I need to proof those also!

2. Au fait profile image95
        Au faitposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Sorry for spelling you wrong sheilamyers.  My eyesight is not the best and I thought it was 2 L's. 

Lisa, I haven't noticed any mistakes in your comments, but as you say, we all make typos sometimes.  4:30 AM comes early and I'm off to slumberland. 

Please feel free to let me know if you ever find any mistakes in my articles.  I'm sure there are plenty and I've often wished I had another set of eyes to proof them.  Sometimes I make some really ludicrous mistakes and those really are embarrassing.  The sooner they're corrected the better.  So if every you're bored . . . smile

1. profile image0

Au Fait: No problem. You're not the first to spell it wrong and you won't be the last. If it makes you feel any better, my grandmother always spelled it Shelia and insisted she was the only one spelling it correctly. LOL!

2. profile image0

I did it.

working