jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

How much do you charge to write free lance articles outside of HP/

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 years ago

I was just offered a job writing for a company that sells specialized products online.   They want to know how much I will charge for articles, and frankly, I have no clue.  I could really use some guidance here.  Thanks.

2. 0
    anndangoposted 2 years ago

You can charge by the word. I take nothing less than .45 cents/word. Or you can charge by the hour. I charge nothing less than $70/hr. Or a flat fee per article depending on its length. For a 600 word article I would be asking for anywhere between $275 to $450. Usually for online writing, the company will never pay that much which is why I avoid them. My rates are the recommended ones set out by writers guilds and it doesn't matter if you're writing for a magazine, online content, or whatever. Writing is writing and takes the same amount of time and effort. And negotiate!!

1. PegCole17 profile image90
      PegCole17posted 2 years ago in reply to this

This is valuable information to know on what the going rates are for written articles. I'm going to start sending these copycat plagiarists an invoice for using my hubs as their ad copy. I found three sites today that used one of my hubs - word for word. Spent the whole day filing DMCA reports.

1. Barbara Kay profile image85
        Barbara Kayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

PegCole, That is a great idea. You might get paid by someone!

Hi Barbara Kay,
          I left a comment on one of the sites where I found my copy used. Told them to expect an invoice for the ad copy and to ask before using my work in the future. Since it was on Blogger, I was able to sign in. I hope they get the message.
          smile

2. 0
        anndangoposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Love that idea! Send plagiarists an invoice!! Charge them $1.00/word.

cool Maybe that'll slow them down.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 years ago in reply to this

The man I spoke with says he paid 20 cents per word awhile back but that I should not let that amount limit what I ask.  By the way, when they say "per word"  exactly what does that mean.  Each a, an and the, a space count or what?  I am thrilled about this opportunity but am at a total loss about what is fair to charge.

1. 0
        anndangoposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Per word is the total word count (not spaces or punctuation) so that would include every 'the', 'a' and 'an'. I would propose to him 35 cents/word as that is the industry average. But you could also go for 40 cents/world.

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image84
    Kathleen Cochranposted 2 years ago

Well, my books sell  on Amazon for $18 each.  They each contain about 80,000 words, so what does that come out to?

Seriously, I'd charge $50 per 500 words.  Best of luck!

1. starme77 profile image86
      starme77posted 2 years ago in reply to this

where are your books Kathleen ?  I would like to check em out smile  what are the titles?

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image84
    Kathleen Cochranposted 2 years ago

Starme77:  They are at www.amazon.com - search Kathleen Cochran and they'll come up:  Take This Man and Collected Works and My War.  (If just Take This Man comes up with a purple cover, ignore it.  It was a first effort and not the complete book.)  Thanks for your interest!

5. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

I generally charge whatever is the going rate for that exact kind of article in that exact market.  It ranges from $10 to $200.

working