jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

RESOLVED: Unable to access Hubpages for 3 days.

1. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 2 years ago

Hi Guys...

Maybe someone out there can help me with a problem - I have been unable to access HP for the last 3 days but have been able to access any other site. I could also access HP through a proxy server.

I tried emptying caches and changing dns servers and everything I could find suggested but nothing would work - it has come back all by itself this afternoon. This is not the first time that this has happened to me, it has occurred maybe 5/6 times before but never longer than a day.

I have been blaming it on my internet provider (Smart / PLDT here in the Philippines) as they are crap anyway - but does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions how to fix when it happens again?

The good news is that my views appear to have recovered the 25% that they lost over the last month!!

1. Matthew Meyer profile image77
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

@LeanMan Are you still having trouble accessing the site without using a proxy? If so, can you share your IP with us via email?

Please send to:

team at hubpages dot com
      attention: Matt M

And I will see if there is an issue with the IP.

2. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 2 years ago

No one has any suggestions as to why and how to fix??

3. skear profile image91
    skearposted 2 years ago

When the issue occurs again you can do some basic network troubleshooting to try and isolate the problem.

If you can eliminate your PC by testing another computer then you'll know it's related to your internet connection.

1. Try to ping hubpages.com and see if you see a response, it should resolve to

>ping hubpages.com

Pinging hubpages.com [] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from bytes=32 time=87ms TTL=48

2. Do a traceroute to hubpages.com and see if you can  trace the complete path.  From my ISP the last 3 hops are the following.

tracert hubpages.com

15    83 ms    80 ms   183 ms
    16    74 ms    72 ms    77 ms  rtr-core01-3-14.emca01.evocative.net
    17    87 ms    79 ms    76 ms  www.hubpages.com []

If you can't trace the full path then there could be a routing issue somewhere between your ISP and the web host used by HubPages. 

This can be tricky to resolve, but usually providing the traceroute results to your ISP can assist them in tracking down the source of the problem.

If you suspect it's a DNS issue try to access the HP web server directly via  If you can access it via the IP then it is likely DNS related.

If you're not familiar with ping or traceroute you should be able to turn up some instructions specific to your operating system with a simple search.

Hopefully this helps!

1. LeanMan profile image81
      LeanManposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I will try them next time the error occurs - at least I should find out where the error lays so I can have another reason to shout at my ISP - they all hide when i walk through the door now!!