jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Change your eBay password

1. Writer Fox profile image80
    Writer Foxposted 2 years ago

If you use eBay, you've probably been hacked.  Read this and change your password:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ … n-why.html

1. SpaceShanty profile image93
      SpaceShantyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Just saw the news on the BBC, hack happened in Feb., just logged into eBay and now there is a message asking users to reset their password!

2. cfin profile image78
    cfinposted 2 years ago

It's strange because I had a paypal hack where some nice gentleman bought lots of stuff for himself in the UK through my account back in March. I am wondering now, if it was because my paypal is linked to my ebay account.

1. Writer Fox profile image80
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

This is really embarrassing for PayPal, since PayPal owns eBay!

1. cfin profile image78
        cfinposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yes and Paypal never gave me an explanation as to how that happened. I did receive a refund within 3 weeks, but when asked how it happened and how my account could be compromised, I never heard back from paypal. Both Paypal and Ebay have disappearing customer service. Sometimes, it's literally impossible to find them and other times their is a link to chat online to them.

3. cfin profile image78
    cfinposted 2 years ago

What happened when I tried to change my password

"Page not available

Ebay is asking its users to reset their passwords due to the unauthorized access to our corporate information network. This may result in a delay of service due to the high traffic volume. We ask for your patience and that you return to eBay soon. In the meantime, please be assured that no activity can occur on your account until your password is reset."

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image89
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

Grrr...I wish these damned hacker-types would get a freaking life!

EDIT:  Just tried to do it, and following their instruction, for "at least 6 characters including at least 2 each of upper-case and lowercase letters, and symbols"  ... went through 3 tries to get a 'strong' password rating, with all of those things in place...and could not get higher than "medium" strength, at which point I said, "screw it," and hit the submit button anyway.

Lo and behold, up comes a dialog box telling me they're having 'technical difficulties," and to try again later.  Grrrr...  I REALLY HATE HACKERS!!!!!!!

5. LongTimeMother profile image97
    LongTimeMotherposted 2 years ago

It was on the news in Australia as well.

Instead of just concentrating on changing ebay passwords, we are being encouraged to change all our passwords because many people use the same password across multiple sites.

Biggest problems may be yet to come, when the identity theft kicks in.