jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

Does anyone have experience of from a level 4 commenter back level 1?

1. Hui (蕙) profile image58
    Hui (蕙)posted 2 years ago

I used to be a level 4 commenter. Suddenly, became a level 1. Interesting!

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
      Barbara Kayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Mine just went down 1 point. If it goes down, you aren't reading and commenting on enough other users hubs.

1. Hui (蕙) profile image58
        Hui (蕙)posted 2 years ago in reply to this

You down 1, reasonable; I down 3!

2. Hui (蕙) profile image58
        Hui (蕙)posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I trusted hubpages much more than I trusted other ones, because this is a writing club. Somehow, a life stage. Now, life is changing, even I do not want to.

2. psycheskinner profile image80
      psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

It is a completely automated process that measures how many comments you make over a certain period of time.

1. Huntgoddess profile image85
        Huntgoddessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, psycheskinner. That's good to know.

3. moonlake profile image88
      moonlakeposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I use to try to make at least 10 comments a day on hubs but not this last winter with sickness in the family I couldn't do it. I went down from an 8 to a 7 and may see it go down even more. I can't worry about it have to much more to worry about.

4. snakeslane profile image81
      snakeslaneposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hi Hui, I dropped from a 6 to a 3, maybe still dropping as we speak.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

Don't sweat the small stuff.

3. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 2 years ago

Sure.    I spent a lot of time as a Level 6 commenter, but that was back when there were so many more of the kinds of Hubs that tend to invite discussion/commenting.   Over time, as those types of Hubs dwindled I gradually went from a "Level 6" all the way down to a 1.    I've been a 1 for ages now (at least a year, probably - although I'm not sure).   Seems reasonable enough to me, considering that I have nothing to add to subjects about which I know little, won't just go comment for the sake of commenting, won't comment just with the hopes of getting someone come to my Hubs and make some meaningless comment in return, etc. etc.

With the emphasis on the types of Hubs there is (or at least appears to be to a lot of people these days),  how much "comment-to-contribute-to-discussion" is really called for?  If you think about it, people write magazine articles and newspapers articles all the time, and the only way readers can comment is to write a letter to the editor.  With the emphasis on "magazine-style article" these days I'd suspect that "genuine commenting" (to aim to contribute to the discussion) is probably way down on HP now.  Regardless of the type of Hubs HP has been encouraging/emphasizing/allowing at any given time, people have always been told that they should only do "genuine commenting".

As far as I can see, the entire "flavor" of "participation" on HP (at least with regard to the non-Hub-writing part of it) has drastically changed to the point where "genuine interaction" just doesn't happen to the degree that it once did.   (I'm just kind of waiting to see if the "commenter accolade" disappears completely or if something goes on to encourage Hubs that tend to invite more discussion than a lot of what's on here these days tend to do.).    I think a lot of people are probably like I am - no time or interest in reading stuff or doing stuff they don't really want to do, and not so worried about scores/accolades that they'll "adjust and go with the program".

4. Helena Ricketts profile image95
    Helena Rickettsposted 2 years ago

That accolade has nothing to do with how successful you are on HubPages.  Some people will comment back on one of your hubs and others don't.  While I do agree that participation on here is good, it isn't necessary like it is on that "other" site where interaction determines success.  They are as different as night and day.

5. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 2 years ago

From memory that accolade only includes comments made in the previous 9 months.

Either way, interaction doesn't make you money or get you traffic; offsite interaction does smile

6. Huntgoddess profile image85
    Huntgoddessposted 2 years ago

Yes, I was level four for a while. I am now level one. I really never knew why.