Really loving this place!

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Elizabeth Bowers profile image71
    Elizabeth Bowersposted 9 years ago

Hello!  I found out about HubPages through a Pintrest post, and although I was a bit nervous because I'd never done anything quite like this before, I dove right in and I'm not regretting a second of it!  I just wanted to try to get to know more people in this awesome community and see if anyone has any advice for the newbie.  smile  I have 6 featured Hubs so far and 1 pending, so I've been posting fairly consistently, and I'm getting some, though not a huge amount of, traffic.  I haven't applied for AdSense yet since I don't have at least 10 featured Hubs, but I plan to in the near future.  I've enjoyed the interactions I've had with some of the awesome people on this site, and I hope to meet more! 

Just wanted to introduce myself and let people know how much I am loving HubPages!  This is truly an awesome community of great writers, and I am so excited about it!

1. Matthew Meyer profile image72
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Welcome and happy Hubbing!

Elizabeth Bowersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much! smile

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to HubPages, Elizabeth. Your enthusiasm is very refreshing. I wish you all the best.

Thanks so much! smile

3. Cyndi10 profile image85
      Cyndi10posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Elizabeth, You have found a great place to write, get fascinating information and meet a uniquely talented group of people who are passionate about writing. So many of the hubbers have given some really useful information about how to take advantage of writing on Hubpages. I learn something new all the time. My suggestion: just write. Fine tune as you go along. If you love to write, this is the place. Take care.

2. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Welcome, Elizabeth Bowers! You will love it here as I did (and still do) when I dove in with no understanding of online writing or what to expect. The people are very nice and helpful.
    I love your profile, very engaging. I'm sure you'll do very well here based on what I read. My pleasure to meet you. Enjoy and have fun. smile

Thank you very much for the kind welcome, and it is a pleasure to meet you as well!  I am looking forward to perusing your Hubs in the near future!  Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to respond to me!  It means a lot! smile

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years ago

Welcome!
      This is a great site with lots of friendly and helpful people. 
    It's also fun to write here, as you can choose your own topics with very few restrictions.

Nice to meet you!

Nice to meet you!  Thank you for the warm welcome!  This seems like an awesome community!

4. JulieMProvost profile image62
    JulieMProvostposted 9 years ago

Welcome smile I am new too and just have 7 hubs so far. This is a great place. It seems like there is so much potential.

Thank you, and welcome to you as well!  I agree, so much potential.  I'm excited! smile

5. marieloves profile image69
    marielovesposted 9 years ago

Welcome Elizabeth!
    I have been doing writing hubs for a few days now and really enjoying myself as well!
    Based on your experience, you'll do awesome here!

Thank you so much!  I can't wait to read some of your Hubs, and it's awesome that you're enjoying yourself as well!

6. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

Hello Elizabeth and welcome to HubPages. As DzyMsLizzy said, there are "lots of friendly and helpful people" here and "it's also fun to write here". Whenever you get stuck, or stumped, simply ask a question and someone will answer it for you.

Thank you so much!  You're just confirming my suspicions that this place has a lot of great people who are supportive of each other.  I find this to be a breath of fresh air in today's world!

7. Kathleen Odenthal profile image89
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

Welcome Elizabeth! You have found a wonderful community of writers varying from hobbyists to professionals. All are supportive, welcoming and encouraging! I look forward to seeing what you post!

Thank you very much!  Everyone has been great so far.  Thank you for your warm welcome!

8. Elizabeth Bowers profile image71
    Elizabeth Bowersposted 9 years ago

Thanks to all of you for your warm welcomes and advice!  I am very excited about what HubPages has in store for me... and vice versa!  I will definitely be checking out all your Hubs in the near future!

9. ShinyM profile image68
    ShinyMposted 9 years ago

I didn't realize you needed 10 featured hubs to apply for adsense. I better get at it then. I only have three so far, but have not been posting consistently.

You don't have to, but it is advised because you will have a better chance to be accepted.  I was going to apply earlier, but a little note popped up, telling me that it's recommended but not required that you have at least 10 to better your chances.  I'm sorry if I confused you!

10. profile image0
    Ben Blackwellposted 9 years ago

I'm glad you like it here.  It is fun to write, but can be a very big challenge to gain a lot of views and make money.

Thank you!  Honestly, right now I'm just happy writing for the few people who are enjoying it, and mostly for myself.  And if I make a few dollars along the way, well, I'm not going to argue, but I'm really just doing this because of my passion for writing and the topics I'm writing about.  smile

11. Madison Resare profile image78
    Madison Resareposted 9 years ago

Hi Elizabeth!
    It is nice to meet someone who is in the same boat, I'm a brand new member also. I just finished my second hub (pending) and I am having a blast getting to write and getting to know new people. I can't wait to read more of your hubs smile

Thank you very much, and welcome yourself!  It certainly is nice to meet another new Hubber! I'll look forward to reading your Hubs, and it's great to meet you! smile  Good luck!

12. MercCipher profile image61
    MercCipherposted 9 years ago

Welcome to HubPages Elizabeth. This is very helpful community and a great place to write. There are a lot of other hubbers who are here to help anytime you need. Good luck here on HubPages.

Thanks so much!  The well wishes are much appreciated!

13. Prodio profile image60
    Prodioposted 9 years ago

Welcome smile

Thank you!

14. daborn7 profile image72
    daborn7posted 9 years ago

Welcome to Hubpages Elizabeth! Glad you have joined us. Keep doing what you are doing and don't ever get discouraged, you will do just fine. Heres to your success!

Thank you so much!

15. newjerusalem profile image69
    newjerusalemposted 9 years ago

Welcome...This is a very good platform for writers...all the Best

Thanks!  I think you're totally right and I'm really enjoying it!

16. goodnews11 profile image86
    goodnews11posted 9 years ago

Hi, Elizabeth Bowers..
    Welcome to hubpages. Do you have an active adsense account?.. If you don't, create a few interesting hubs and get your adsense approval as soon as possible and start earning. Looking forward for great hubs from you. Following you .. All the best smile

Hi!  Thank you!  I don't yet; I'm waiting until I have at least 10 Hubs to apply for the account.  Thank you so much!

17. Marie Flint profile image74
    Marie Flintposted 9 years ago

Welcome, Elizabeth!

Advice? I'm probably not the best to give it, since I'm still in-waiting for a payout after writing two years here; however, I'll give some anyway.

1. Be sure to read the Tutorial in the Learning Center, even if just briefly.
    2. Take advantage of the available capsules when constructing your hubs.
    3. Long  hubs (1,000+ words) tend to get better Google standings and draw more traffic than short ones.
    4. While it's fine to right on a variety of topics, you'll achieve payout quicker if you can hone on one topic or genre.
    5. Read other hubs and comment on them for inspiration. Doing so will help your hubber score, which, in turn, will boost your desire to keep writing.
    6. Don't get bogged down with hub scores (the number assigned to an individual hub). These do change, depending on traffic.
    7. (This one should probably have been placed first.) Take the time to reread your hub for grammar, spelling, and punctuation before publishing. (If you're not sure about something, I'll be glad to help--you can send me the question and example through my Fan Mail.)

Hands-on and time are ingredients to success. Whatever you do, don't give up!

Wishing you "victory" here at Hub Pages, I say, "Blessings!"

1. Marie Flint profile image74
      Marie Flintposted 9 years agoin reply to this

edit: write (not right--silly me!)

Thank you so much for all the advice and for the warm welcome!  The time and attention you took to help me is greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

18. Artois52 profile image83
    Artois52posted 9 years ago

Welcome to HubPages. Hope you have fun and good luck with your writing.

Thanks so much! smile  I'm having a blast so far!

19. dwelburn profile image92
    dwelburnposted 9 years ago

Welcome Elizabeth; glad you are enjoying it here. smile

Thank you!  So am I smile

20. MJennifer profile image89
    MJenniferposted 9 years ago

Welcome to HP, Elizabeth!  I still consider myself new here myself, 18 months later -- but I've thoroughly enjoyed the time here thanks to the amazing hubbers and hub-staff, the ability to write on any subject I choose (and incorporate my own photos), and the easy format for publishing, sharing, and promoting hubs.  Having primarily freelanced for print media / print books, I was hesitant to enter the world of writing online content -- but having done so, I've found it surprisingly rewarding (and addictive).  The interaction with the audience and with other writers is fulfilling and the immediacy of publishing exciting. It's wonderful having total editorial control as well -- what a pleasure that freedom is, after having had pieces butchered by editors in the past.

This is a terrific site and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!  Hubbers are an encouraging and inspiring bunch. Keep those hubs coming -- I'll look forward to reading them. 

Best -- MJ

Thank you very much for your insightful and thoughtful post!  I wasn't sure what to expect when I started writing here, but you're right - it's been nothing but rewarding!  Thank you so much for the welcome!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)