jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (11 posts)

Weird One--Broken Link Advisory...

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago

Ok, I know how to deal with broken links.  But today, there was a really weird one.  I've had converstations with HP team before about bogus broken link warnings, in which the link does actually work, and is not broken.

However, today's warning was doubly odd.  The highlighted "broken" link DID in fact, work, and go to the intended website. However, on the new tab that opened, after the title of the site, it said, "page not found."  Yet, the page was right there, obviously it WAS found!!! 

In the meantime, I have forgotten how to turn off or put on "ignore" any false broken link warnings. 
    ... sad

1. kenneth avery profile image80
      kenneth averyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

In the last 72 hours, and with the intermittent problem at HP, I have learned more about HP, more about my hubs and less about me in that timeframe. And all of my loathing and griping did not get me anywhere.
      So when I started back to writing, I felt at ease once again.
      Similar to taking a Bayer aspirin for a caffeine=generated headache.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image82
      The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Deleted

DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It's an in-text link, not in a links capsule, so there is no way to view the URL.

Also..it MUST be the same, or it would not have arrived at the correct page, eh?  (Despite the weird 'not found' tag at the end of the tab..after the name of the page!!!)

They do speak, on the page, about having moved their physical office location, but the website is up and running... it is a puzzle, for sure.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image82

If you right click and then click on "View Page" or "Inspect Element" you may find it. You might have more luck with "View Page".

They might have moved the site to a new page, being a new office. This might mean a new URL. That may bring up the warning.

If you decide that you would rather not do this, you can enter the page/link and I will try it for you.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image82

If there is a double reply I apologize - it is because I thought that I forgot to submit the first one.

Perhaps they moved the site to a new page. Did you check the URL in the original link to see whether it matches the URL in the toolbar at the web page? Changing the URL if they are different may erase the warning.

I just ended up doing a new search, and re-found the site; a more robust version than was showing before.  It was the exact same URL, with the exception of the extension--it seems they changed it from .com to .org
        Sigh.. well, I copied that and replaced the link..It seems fine, now.

But, (for future reference) I still don't remember how the HP team said you can click on 'ignore'  for bogus broken link warnings...I don't know where to find that.

What I would do is go to the capsule and edit it to break the link (right beside the unbroken link). Then I would go to the new page and copy the new URL and return to the capsule to make a new link. Doing that should clear the warning. Then save the capsule and before you hit Done Editing be sure that the warning is gone.

Exactly what I did...  wink

Good. I take it that everything is okay now? smile

yes, but I'm still puzzled that it opened the page anyway, FOLLOWED by the 'page not found' message... Google foul-up, methinks! lol

It was probably only saying that it could not find the original URL which you had. That was the problem, and the confusion.

working