jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (14 posts)

Anyone want to give a newcomer some tips on how to become proficient?

1. Deborah Judges profile image61
    Deborah Judgesposted 2 years ago

Being a published author feels so good!! This is my first time publishing something on this site. I know this is very competitive field and I understand not giving the secret to YOUR success. I'm looking for Nentors that will lead me on my own journey to success

1. 0
      sheilamyersposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Every one else has given some great advice, so I really can't add anything. Here at HP, I don't think there really are any trade secrets. From day one, everyone has helped me when I've had questions - including telling me their "secrets". If you have questions, just ask and someone will jump in with an answer that will be helpful.

2. emartin74 profile image81
    emartin74posted 2 years ago

Read other hubs that people have written about subjects you're interested, and then start writing. Also, there's a lot of help available on the site, so don't be afraid to take advantage of it.

3. meghansmummy profile image59
    meghansmummyposted 2 years ago

Just say it as it is! Let it flow and see whhat happens. Imagine your trying to help a group of student understand you plee. Convince them what you have to say is true! hth

4. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago

Summer internet visitor traffic can be extremely low and slow.
    So keep your expectations low.
    A good time of year to learn what you need to know.

By the time Fall rolls around, you will be fully operational. smile

5. janshares profile image86
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

Welcome, newcomer Deborah. There is so much to learn. Much of becoming proficient comes over time as you learn the tricks of the trade. For me, it was a 'learn as you go' process, some trial and error, and some stumbling upon the correct way to do things.
    A lot of trade secrets are shared in the forums. Look at old forums under "Improving your hub" or under "Increasing hub traffic." Lots of gems there. Also read other hubs, study what makes them stellar.
    Trade secret: Hub titles. Make them searchable, think like a searcher, not like a writer.

6. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 2 years ago

Welcome to Hubpages.

I have 65 hubs and 3.5 million views. It's about quality not quantity.

It's about finding low competition topics that get plenty of traffic - niche not broad topics. I have a few hubs on it that will get you started smile

7. blueheron profile image96
    blueheronposted 2 years ago

Welcome! Ot takes time to put up enough material to get Google Adsense, and it takes still more time for you hubs to start generating significant traffic, but eventually the payouts start coming--and become more regaular! If you write on subjects for which you have special knowledge--or a special interest that you can turn into knowledge through research--and you can present the material in a way that holds the reader's interest, chances are other people are interested too! The views will come.

8. Janellegems profile image50
    Janellegemsposted 2 years ago

I have been to hubpages two years and I am still learning from others.  Write on topics that you know a lot of.  You can add videos from youtube,  photos, links- hubs from other hubbers,  ebay products, amazon products to go along with your article. 

My Hub, 10 things Every New Hubber need to know can be of help to you. This is the link

<link snipped>

There are also lot of hubbers like billybuc who have written many hubs about writing online.  You can read some of his hubs and learn more about writing.

9. clivewilliams profile image81
    clivewilliamsposted 2 years ago

Simple....write quality, content rich and point forwarding hubs. Write whenever you get the chance, write about what you love and is interested in. Have good keyword searches. Blast your pages on Facebook, twitter etc.

10. Paco Valez profile image61
    Paco Valezposted 2 years ago

Try and write hubs about subjects you are passionate about.  Proofread before you publish.  Good Luck.

11. blueheron profile image96
    blueheronposted 2 years ago

I think you'll find that your writing will improve just from the awareness that you are writing for a real audience! This alone will give you an incentive to really communicate--by writing in a clear organized way--and to write so as to hold your reader's interest.

Most writer spend years writing for no one but themselves, so they never get that discipline you can only get when you know you have an audience.

12. Sarah Brittney profile image60
    Sarah Brittneyposted 2 years ago

Everyone has fabulous advice, so all I want to say is just remember to be yourself and write what makes you happy. If you are happy with your work, that is how you know you are doing well and improving. Best of luck!

13. lovebuglena profile image91
    lovebuglenaposted 2 years ago

Write about something that you are interested or knowledgeable in and want to share with others. Try to engage the readers, teach them something, leave them with some food for thought. Whenever you publish a hub always include a relevant image. It doesn't have to be professional quality. As long as it works with the content you are writing about. Break up your hub content into many text capsules for easing reading and separate each capsule with a page divider. Once your hub is published share it on Pinterest, FB, Google+ and Twitter.