jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Why Was This Hub Was Unfeatured Due To Lack of Engagement?

1. Rock_nj profile image89
    Rock_njposted 2 years ago

I have a Hub called, "Places To Visit While Traveling Across Canada" that I have been pleased with the traffic it has been getting lately.  I was surprised to see it unfeatured today due to lack of engagement. Please explain to me what the engagement threshold actually is?

This Hub received 52 views over the past 30 days and 11 views over the past 7 days.  Not great, but I would think it is enough views to keep it from being unfeatured.  Please explain.  Thanks!

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image91
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I can't give you technical information concerning what and why - but I can tell you all you need to do is improve it a little, and it'll be featured again very likely - also, after tweaking it some to improve it in some way, share it on your social networks again.

Rock_njposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I already did the tweaks for the refeature.  But, why is that even necessary for a Hub that got that many hits over the past 30 days.  I do not want to promote Hubs I wrote a while ago on my social networks.  I want organic traffic, and all those views over the past 30 days were entirely organic.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image77
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Featured status is dependent on the QAP which evaluates content for quality and has a reader engagement component as well.
      You can find further explanation in the FAQ here.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#quality-assessment

I can't imagine how that hub could have a quality problem.  Not a quickie.  Long, with many parts and pictures.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image77
          Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Once a Hub passes the QAP it is given time to acquire readers and then can be de-featured due to lack of engagement.
          The FAQ I linked has a more detailed explanation.

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 2 years ago

Engagement doesn't just refer to people coming to your web page but also includes how they interacted with your web page.  How long they stayed.  Whether or not they click on links.  That sort of thing.

That would seem to indicate that although your Hub has some traffic, it's not getting the sort of traffic that is interactive.  You have to figure out what that Hub's audience wants and add it to your Hub, or find more of the passive audience for the content you have and increase the number of them that come until the engagement penalty is lifted.

Thanks!  That is the type of answer I was looking for. 

It is actually one of the things that has frustrated serious writers at HubPages.  They want to write good articles, not something with a bunch of bells and whistles that keep people on the page longer.  I doinclude the bells and whistles.  Perhaps I need to add a few more?

3. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 2 years ago

This is where it would be best for you to use Google Analytics info to learn more about who is really visiting that page and what they seem to be looking for when they find it.

You have to figure out if bells and whistles will do the trick for who you have or not, or if you need to take the Hub topic in another direction.  Your web stats should give you clues as to how to try and better connect with the readers.

4. Barbara Kay profile image85
    Barbara Kayposted 2 years ago

At one time, Hubpages wanted the traffic to be coming from search engines. I'm not sure if this is still the case. Check your stats and see where the traffic is coming from. That might be your answer.

5. melbel profile image90
    melbelposted 2 years ago

I thought it was a nicely written hub (just checked it out.)

I recommend breaking up the wall of text in each section by making new paragraphs every two or three sentences so it's easier to read and perhaps doing a bit of reformatting with the design. Overall, I thought it was really nice. A little bit of sprucing up might go a long way with traffic AND with getting it re-featured.

working