jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Impression number, what determines it??

1. lbsf1 profile image86
    lbsf1posted 2 years ago

Dear hubpages

What determines the number of impressions that you receive each day?? often it doesn't seem to correlate with the number of pageviews I have.

For example yesterday I had 55 views but only 10 impressions.
    The day before this 40 views but 25 impressions
    The day before that 74 views and 30 impressions.

I would understand if impressions were based on the rough length of time people were on the page (if all of the people who viewed your page were only there for a couple of seconds then low impressions would make sense.), however when I recieved 25 impressions I had an average page time of 43seconds, however when I only got 10 impressions I had an average page time of 1min 31 seconds. It doesn't seem to make sense.

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image84
      Marina Lazarevicposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hi Ibsf1! I recommend that you take a look at this FAQ entry. It lists the reasons why ad impressions are lower than Hub views.

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 2 years ago

Impressions will never match up with pageviews because they are a count of the number of times that an advertisement is viewed.

Due to ad blocking software, you will never be able to correlate pageviews and ad views because you have no idea how many of your actual site visitors are even seeing advertisements when they view the page.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image96
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Relache:  Girl, you are just a font of knowledge about this stuff.  Never knew what impressions were...thanks!

1. janshares profile image87
        jansharesposted 2 years ago in reply to this

+1 Thanks, relache.

2. lbsf1 profile image86
      lbsf1posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I understood that the two would never completely match up for the reasons you mentioned, however I expected that they would tend to correlate to an extent. Sadly it seems not then.

3. csmiravite-blogs profile image86
      csmiravite-blogsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I often wonder about that, why the two don't match. I thought it was due to the length of time the article was viewed. Thanks to relache, I know now that it has got something to do with the ads being seen.

I notice this in my page in FB where I am hitting hundreds of pageviews but only registers at less than a hundred in HP. I often wondered on what brought about this huge disparity.

Thanks mucho! I am learning slowly.  big_smile