jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

Confused about photos and sourcing!

1. Johnny Caito profile image60
    Johnny Caitoposted 2 years ago

Hi everyone,

I just joined, and I'm not really sure I understand which photos I can and cannot use. For my first hub, I just inserted the link into the box, so it sourced all of the photos. However, looking through other hubs, it doesn't look everyone does that. How do I know when I have to source something? Only if it has a Copyright?

Thanks in advance!

1. Jo Robertson profile image82
      Jo Robertsonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Free images (formerly stock exchange) has a lot of free to use photos with instructions on how to give credit.

What I do is a google image search for "subject creative commons", where subject is the type of photo I want. But you must still be careful this way and open the page for each photo you want to use, because sometimes there's something ELSE on the page under creative commons and not the photo you want to use.

2. agvulpes profile image88
      agvulpesposted 2 years ago in reply to this

G'day Johnny and welcome to Hubpages smile
      IMO it's best to 'source' any image that you use on a Hub.
      You might like to read through the 'Learning Center' on what is a go/nogo image requirement :
      Cheers... Peter

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

You have to get photos from places that state their conditions of use, like foter.com or wikimedia.

1. Johnny Caito profile image60
      Johnny Caitoposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for the response.

What if it's an image I've pulled off of Google Images, and there is no copyright listed in the details section. Is it okay to use those? Like this for example:

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image79
        LuisEGonzalezposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Use Google images/free to use, even commercially and then make sure you find the copyright. Even if the image is found under this search , you should still find the copyright and make sure that it says free to use, even commercially.

3. psycheskinner profile image83

No.  You have to assume it is under copyright unless otherwise stated.

4. Johnny Caito profile image60
    Johnny Caitoposted 2 years ago

Gotcha. Thanks, psycheskinner! I appreciate the help.

5. psycheskinner profile image83

No worries.  I had the same issue when I started.

6. Torrs13 profile image96
    Torrs13posted 2 years ago via iphone

I do a search through the Creative Commons website and typically stick with Flickr. Once I'm there, I look for photos that have an attribution agreement, meaning I can use it as long as I give proper credit (the symbol looks like a person inside a circle). Let me know if you have any questions!

7. 0
    LisaKeatingposted 2 years ago

I also use Creative Commons. I find Wikimedia the easiest to attribute. Make sure you use the HP Learning Center help pages.

8. Marie Flint profile image91
    Marie Flintposted 2 years ago

Hub Pages also encourages us to use our own images. This is easy with a digital camera. I myself have a Samsung cell phone with built-in camera ad a memory card that fits into my Hewlett Packard laptop. I edit my pictures (and sometimes legal online pictures) in Windows Live Photo Gallery. When giving photo credits, you don't have to credit those in the public domain (Wikimedia specifies which ones those are), but it's always nice to acknowledge the photographer or artist. You don't have to use the photo template to attribute pictures, either. A text capsule at the end of the hub with photo credits is perfectly acceptable. Best wishes for your success here at HP!