jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)

Publishing Hubs At Night?

1. Kain 360 profile image88
    Kain 360posted 2 years ago

It's been a while since I wrote on HubPages. I have over 200 hubs on another account from years ago. Anyway, I decided to write a hub and it's the longest hub I ever wrote! It's nearly 2000 words!

What I am wondering is whether or not publishing a hub at night is a bad idea? Would I get less exposure publishing it at night? I originally did not pay attention to this when writing hubs a lot back in 2011-2012.

I have 4 videos, 9 images, a poll, and many paragraphs etc. It took hours to write where my usual 500 word hubs took an hour or so. Of course I was not typing the entire time -- I was looking for images and rereading etc...

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The first burst of traffic from Hubpages is small.

It's the ongoing traffic for the next few years that is what you're aiming for. I never really check what time I publish. But I'm in Australia, so it's a different time here.

Kain 360posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I live in United States. It's night here lol.

I never really checked the time I published hubs on my other account either. I usually published them as soon as they were ready.

2. relache profile image86
      relacheposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The question you should be pondering is when is your "audience" online?

3. LuisEGonzalez profile image82
      LuisEGonzalezposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Look at where your audience comes from (like relache said) and plan to publish at times when their Internet activity traditionally "reaches its peak" (3:00 pm to 8:00 pm their time). In my case it falls between 4:30 pm and 8:00 pm my time (Florida)

These times help me  garner audiences from the West Coast states, Central states and East Coast States plus many European and Asian countries (most but not all)

Best look at a time zone map and compare time zones.

Kain 360posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I live in PA, so people in California are 3 hours behind. I was thinking about this before.

2. Trisha Roberts profile image59
    Trisha Robertsposted 2 years ago

It's okay I may attempt too aswell lol. 2:16am here right now. smile

3. BrunoDSL profile image73
    BrunoDSLposted 2 years ago

I think the time doesn't matter much. If you have high quality content, try to share it on social media or help someone at the forum/answers using your post. It will probably help more.

4. janshares profile image87
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

I agree that in the long run, the time you publish doesn't matter too much because significant traffic comes over time. However, if you want to maximize getting that initial boost of views to kick start your traffic, day of the week does matter. I have found Wednesday and Thursday evenings before midnight to be good times to publish, US EST. Also Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons. Of course it's all relative, depending on where you live and hub topic.
    I once published an article I thought would do well close to 2am (Thursday night/Friday) in the morning. It ended up getting "lost" and didn't get a lot of initial views. Over time it did okay and gets trickles of views now but I'm convinced it had to do with the day and time I hit publish.

Study trends on how and when most people search. What is the age-range of your target audience? We know people hang out on Friday nights, all day Saturday, and Saturday nights so they aren't on line unless they're checking Twitter. We also know that people typically go back to work on Mondays, check emails, and search for info they need. Tuesday and Wednesdays mornings, they are knee-deep in work and not goofing off much. But Fridays afternoons, they start goofing off, surfing and searching. Anyway, sorry to go on and on, but these are the trends I pay attention to when deciding when to publish.

5. Brie Hoffman profile image81
    Brie Hoffmanposted 2 years ago

I have often wondered the same thing.

6. LeslieAdrienne profile image81
    LeslieAdrienneposted 2 years ago

Just go with the flow... your traffic will come as a result of your content...

7. 0
    LisaKeatingposted 2 years ago

Janshares-- does that "burst" come when you hit the publish button or when HP approves/features it?

1. janshares profile image87
      jansharesposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Not right away. After a couple hours when it gets featured and the HP traffic starts to come in. This may take a few days. But promoting on social media also helps. It depends on the hub topic, too, how many followers you have, HP sharing circles you're in, etc.

8. TripleAMom profile image87
    TripleAMomposted 2 years ago

Lisa Keating I would imagine that the burst would come when the hub is actually published. I have never noticed how long it actually took my hubs to get published. Does it depend on length and topic, etc. Most of my hubs have not gotten many hits at first but more later. I am just now getting back to HP after a little over a year though, so things could have changed.

9. mattforte profile image92
    mattforteposted 2 years ago

The only traffic that matters is search engine traffic.
    HubPages traffic might be impacted by time of day, but that is a one time thing and amounts to less than pennies making it not even worth the time it took to write this post.

The sooner you publish, the less likely your new hub is going to be missed by the next crawl. (If your next crawl is in 1 hour, and you publish it in an hour and a half, it will just take longer to be indexed)
    Even that matters little - but my point is: Are you done writing? Hit publish and be done with it.