jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Problems with pop-up ads

1. Kosmo profile image92
    Kosmoposted 7 years ago

I've noticed a recent surge in pop-ups ads, particularly one by Spyware Protect 2009, which activates before I even access the Internet! Then I have to use control/Alt/delete in order to escape it. It also shows pages that warn me about using hub.pages.com. Is anyone else having this problem? And if you are, what are you doing about it? Thanks!

2. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 7 years ago

I think you need to check your home computer for any viruses or malware.  If you've got popups without even being signed onto the internet, you've got something bad going on.

1. Kosmo profile image92
      Kosmoposted 7 years ago in reply to this

My McAfee anti-virus is now working well, and so is my Internet experience. But I still can't get rid of the Spyware Protect 2009 demo, which the guy at Microsoft called a trojan. Just hope you don't get this damn thing!

3. gamergirl profile image62
    gamergirlposted 7 years ago

Go to this site and download the program called MalwareBytes.

Install it and run a full scan and follow the program's instructions when the scan is complete.  It may have you restart your computer, it may not.

1. Kosmo profile image92
      Kosmoposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the advice! I also looked into that possibility, which I found on the Internet. But at this time I think I'll stick with my anti-virus program, which works better once I loaded the latest version of the browser; however, I'm still trying to delete the demo, which activates every time I boot my system. Whoever devised this "malware" ought to be shot!!!

1. charlemont profile image82
        charlemontposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Malwarebyte's is not an antivirus program, it covers a wider variety of dangers. Because it's free, lightweight and requires very little of disk space, I see no reason why you shouldn't give it a try. Since you current antivirus program let the infection in, quite possibly it cannot remove it either. In fact many antivirus programs are completely useless when it comes to infections similar to yours.

4. gamergirl profile image62
    gamergirlposted 7 years ago

MalwareBytes is specifically updated to remove the demo thing you've got on your computer, believe me - the IT department came around and installed this on all of the computers at my work (a 300+ person internet based company) and it works like a champ on my work computer, AND comes with the seal of approval of our IT department.