jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Title, summary and names of photos

1. Kaili Bisson profile image96
    Kaili Bissonposted 2 years ago

Hi there,
    Have recently returned to HP after some time away and have been spending time tweaking and evergreening. A few questions have come to mind that I am hoping someone can help with:

Hub Title: I have been changing title names and was wondering....do the search engines still raise you up if only part of your title reflects a popular search? Example...let's say you find the keyword Dogfish gets a lot of traffic with low competition and you are an expert on them. Do you still get "credit" from the search engines if you do several Hubs with Dogfish in the name i.e. Dogfish - Varieties of, Dogfish - How to care for them and Dogfish - What food is best?

Summary: If you change the summary to reflect revisions in your Hub, what happens? Does the new one get picked up the next time the bots do their indexing?

Photos: I recognize the need for a caption to accompany photos...but what about the name of the photo file itself? Does changing the file name to something meaningful like "Dogfish off the coast of Florida" instead of leaving it as PIC0023.jpg make a difference to the search engines?

Thank you for your help!

2. EricDockett profile image95
    EricDockettposted 2 years ago

Not sure what you mean by "credit" from search engines. Search engines put some weight on your title, but there are many, many other factors that determine where you will rank.

If you're an expert on dogfish and write several articles on them you may see a benefit, but it won't be just because you use the word "dogfish" in the title. It will be because you write awesome articles on dogfish and search engines begin to see you as an authority.

If you change the summary or any other part of your Hub it will be updated next time the Hub is crawled. Sometimes HPs stats show the Hubs was crawled but you don't see the change immediately. Just be patient. It will update.

You can't name your photos. Or, rather, even if you do HPs system changes the name. You should, however, choose descriptive captions that tell search engines (and your readers) what your photo is about.

Hope that was helpful.

1. Kaili Bisson profile image96
      Kaili Bissonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thank you so much Eric...truly helpful. I am sure I will have other questions as I fix up my older hubs. I am really watching to see what happens with stats as I change titles, add new photos and revise summaries.

3. LeslieAdrienne profile image80
    LeslieAdrienneposted 2 years ago

Thanks EricDockett, I learned quite a bit from your response...