Help! Hubpages is beginning to feel depressing :(

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (33 posts)
  1. stuff4kids profile image60
    stuff4kidsposted 9 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9068381_f520.jpg
    I've been writing here for a year now and working hard to create excellent hubs and get them known. I was just beginning to see a nice increase in traffic and shares with a little bit of income associated with that and I was delighted, thinking that I had been right to trust the process and stick with it. Then suddenly, wham! Traffic plummets to 1/5th of what it was and I have no idea why. It's been like that a while now and soon I think I'll have no traffic at all. Then what happens next? I guess it would be un-featured hubs, no search exposure, end of story, right? Wrong? Seems like a heck of a lot of work for not much return. Back to square one?

Anyone want to convince me to stay, please?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Keep in mind that summer is one of the worst times for traffic, and particularly summer holidays (like the upcoming 4th of July weekend). The World Cup is also going on, which means less searchers as well. My advice is to hang in there and give it some time. Your traffic may very well bounce back.

stuff4kidsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Christy.

Okay. That makes sense, I guess. Having a focus on kids and schools may not be the best thing for summer!

Well, I wasn't just going to down tools and march away but if some hubs do lose their featured status due to lack of interaction, that would make me feel pretty low.

But I'll sit it out, then and see if there is an upturn come Fall.

Thanks - I hate being negative, really, but could use some encouragement in the numbers!

Hope you're having a good summer and it's not too misty right now. smile

2. kenneth avery profile image78
      kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@ Stuff 4 Kids,
      I agree with Christy. Summer is the absolute worst time of the year to keep and maintain traffic. I know. This summer is my fourth since joining HubPages four years ago. This traffic thing used to drive me nuts and I would write and write until I was burned out.
      Then as fall began to surface and then winter, I noticed that my traffic would start rising.
      When summer is rolling on, people are outside--riding jetskis, boating, camping and on vacation. That makes sense why our traffic numbers sometimes decline.
      And "I" want to convince YOU to stay. It will not  be long until fall, so give Hubs a chance and besides you are one of my Valued-followers and I do not want to see you jump to another site that may not be as established as HubPages.
      Do we have a deal?

Hi Kenneth,

I don't think I'm one of your followers but thanks for the encouraging words.

I'm sure I'll stick with it in any case and if it's just a summer thang then I won't worry about it in the future - rather plan for it in advance.

smile

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have had this same thing happen to me at least three times in the past two or so years that I have been writing here on HP.

Instead of getting depressed, I made it my business to start reworking my articles, getting rid of the duds, and trying to find out why my work was heading downhill.

Finally, a few months ago, after Google changed its algorithm, things started to perk up.  Suddenly I am getting good views on many of my articles and payouts are happening every month.

Writing here is a learning curve, and it can take years before things jell...so you have to be patient.  Stick to the basics, reread the learning center, check out the forums and just keep at it.

Persistence pays off, and I am living proof of that.

Good luck.

1. ChristinS profile image39
            ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree completely and my experience has been very similar. 

Many have also already mentioned that their traffic naturally plummets in the summer months and I can attest to this as well.  My June earnings will be quite a bit less than my May earnings were - all the kids are out now, summer is in full swing - so I am bummed, but not going to sweat it smile A couple of months and there will be a rebound - and in the meantime I can do some updates and tweaks.

Christin:  You made a very good point here...when things slow down, it is time to tweak and write so that you are ready for the next round of good views!

2. stuff4kids profile image60

Thank you!  smile

Stuff 4 Kids,
          I am sorry. I was sure that you were one of my followers. And you are welcome for the truths that I told you about staying here.
          I meant every word.
          Plainly, I urge you to rethink this decision for we would miss you.

3. EZ Swim Fitness profile image81
      EZ Swim Fitnessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Traffic will grow over time. Look at the long term potential. I know it is hard looking at pennies and minimal traffic but continue to write and contribute and both your traffic and your earnings will increase.

I always thought traffic would plummet during the week, my experience has been the opposite. Stick to a niche you know, have fun with it, write and contribute on a regular basis and you will see the accolades and earnings climb.

Thank you!

4. profile image0
      KenDeanAgudoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Mine as well dropped and its pretty annoying!!
      My income last May was higher than my earnings this end of June. Its not traffic that i was upset but the decrease of CPM rate. My traffic increased but it was affected by my CPM.

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you knew just how much CPMs have fallen on this site over the last several years, you most likely would have never started writing here.

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

LOL  I remember CPM's very nearly 4X what I see now.  They weren't common, but they did happen, and for weeks/months at a time.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

Relache:

I'm sure this is true, but it only makes sense.

Why would an advertiser want to pay more to place an ad on a hub that is getting low traffic?

We all know that the traffic on HP has dropped significantly in recent years, but I do believe that it will rise again if the team keeps dumping low quality articles.

I also believe that since HP separated itself from writers and allowed us to have our own domains, those who write good articles on appropriate topics will see CPMs return to higher amounts.

1. relache profile image73
            relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

HubPages can dump all the bad articles it wants, but I just found a guy this morning who just got his 5 Hub accolade, and half of what he's published so far is extremely poor-quality on restricted topics.  Those Hubs never should have been given an activated publish button.

I believe that HubPages is seriously dropping the ball when it comes to preventing the publication of new crap on this site.  I also believe if HubPages does not successfully learn to preserve and re-engage their long-term members, they'll never get a growth cycle going again.

Relache:

So, did you write to the team and share this information with them?

I do believe it is up to all of us here to help with the policing of low quality hubs.  There are thousands of articles and only a few HP team members.

If what you say happened is a fact, then maybe there is something wrong with the software the team is using to qualify hubs.

It does not make sense that they would purposely slit their own financial throats by allowing substandard  work to be featured here.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
                paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Slit their throats? No.

Put their foot in it? Yes.

big_smile

5. stuff4kids profile image60

Thanks everyone for your encouraging comments. I do so appreciate it!

And I'm convinced - I reckon I just needed to express my frustration - so I'll stick with it and continue to publish new stuff to be ready for my Hubpages traffic renaissance!

Thanks again one and all.

Bless y'all.    smile

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you edit your hubs, it keeps them from becoming unfeatured. Everyone's advice about keeping them updated is right on.

Thanks. Message received and understood.  smile

Stuff 4 Kids,
        Woooeee, what a wise decision you made in staying with HP! I am so very glad. We all get to the point of frustration now and then.
        So now that you are staying, you might complete the deal and celebrate my FOLLOWING ME.
        Best wishes.

Kenneth,

I've been trying to avoid saying this but the way that you have been hassling me to FOLLOW YOU, first on my hubs and now here, is unnerving. I'm beginning to feel somewhat bullied and I would like you to stop now.

Your technique - and it clearly is a technique - that you employ to gain followers - has the opposite effect on me.

I checked out your hubs and while no doubt you can write, it's just not the sort of thing I'm personally interested in reading, so why would I follow you, okay?

Now, all the best to you but please leave me alone.

Thanks.

1. kenneth avery profile image78

Stuff 4 Kids,
            I understand. And I offer you my sincere apologies. I meant you no harm.

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

This, too, shall pass. Going to be a long pass though...

1. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Traffic is down, and it can be discouraging. Last year I saw an article that said people in the summer are not too interested in reading content and that traffic goes down about 40%. At least we have all our nice friends on HP, and I love that factor. So everybody, don't give up.

2. LCDWriter profile image90
      LCDWriterposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yep.  My traffic is terrible right now.   But there has been a lot going on in the world and the summer holidays are in full gear.  Just hang on!

3. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

Are you in HP depression, or is it something else? The traffic change may just be this certain time, or a certain reason - such as summer break or July 4th prep. Maybe you have writer's block and may need to take a break while leaving your account open. If you come back and traffic is higher then you may be happy that you did.
    You could also take a break from writing and just read others if you want. Search the Internet, see what others are doing right now. Take a look at Pinterest - that will make you smile. :-)
    Just do not leave HP after only 1 year. I am 14 mo. and at times I slow down on my writing and just read. Then I soon get back to both. :-)

4. Solaras profile image94
    Solarasposted 9 years ago

Time to get your back to school hubs published, so parents know what they need to buy their kids on Amazon!

smile

5. Suzanne Day profile image93
    Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

I can guarantee you lot that if you commit to 10 more hubs, it will get better wink

6. nakmeister profile image66
    nakmeisterposted 9 years ago

We have around 200 hubs; they go up and down. One thing that got us quite a bit of exposure was to enter the hub writing competitions. It is really worth doing smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)