jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

AdSense is hopping up and down about page speed, specifically...

1. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago

..."Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content."

This message is new. Up until today, HP has been 5-by-5 on the Site Health front. smile

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
      Barbara Kayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Mine isn't showing that right now. In the past, it has shown slow page load though.

paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I went and rechecked. The message is still there for my best-performing hub; presumably it would also apply to all my other hubs. Oh, well.

Anywho, I'm not particularly excited about it. This is HP's problem to fix. I've done my good deed for the day by reporting it. big_smile

2. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 2 years ago

We are working hard to improve the performance of HubPages's speed.  The two biggest factors in our page speed are ads and social buttons.  Since we've moved to static social share buttons, that's been addressed.

Right now we are working on some technical enhancements to HP Ads.  One of the major reasons is to migrate to asynchronous ads.  When we complete this we will be able to render the content of the Hub fully without waiting for ads. The 728x90 is the first part of this that we announced today. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/122908

On the blocking css, it's sometimes recommended to add the styles inline so that at least all the above the fold content can be rendered and users can begin reading.  There is a bit of a trade off of performance vs managing css and js if it's added inline and it doesn't look like a material performance gain for us.  This is a much more fine grain improvement that we've discussed, but it's really small compared to the impact ads have on blocking the page from fully loading.  So, we are going after that one first:)  I'm glad you posted this!

paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks. I hope the spammers leave HubPages alone and HP Staff can have a peaceful, relaxing July 4th weekend.

2. Barbara Kay profile image86
      Barbara Kayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Paul, We appreciate all of the effort the team puts into this type of thing.

3. weezyschannel profile image83
      weezyschannelposted 2 years ago in reply to this

is there anyway to make the adsense ads a little darker color font so they stand out a little? Very hard to see and I don't make anything off of adsense. I make about a dollar a year through HP..I do fairly well on HP ads, but it would be good if I could get a little from adsense too perhaps..

One more, is there anyway to move the ads from the bottom of the page? the two that are at the very bottom under the comments? I'm sure no one sees those.

thank you...don't know where else do address this issue as I have sent in suggestions before and no one replies..

working