Time limit for related discussions in forums

1. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 2 years ago

Down at the bottom of forum threads are suggested related discussions.  Sadly, however these are determined, it manages to pull up threads that might be on the same topic but which are by now two, three, four or more years out of date.  This is where automated tasking is serving information that often is no longer relevant or accurate given the changes to this site over it's lifetime.

Since freshness and relevancy is important for Google, it should be as well for users of this site.

Is there some way that instead of pulling up the oldest related discussions, the forum results could instead bring up the most recent and relevant other discussions?  That S&M's like not only would it help people find the best current info but could cut down on some of the thread duplication when we have a site issue.

2. ChristinS profile image94
    ChristinSposted 2 years ago

That would be a great feature.  I have seen many a zombie thread get restarted, which is rather frustrating for current forum users too. Hubbers who think they are checking out new/current information, only to look when they click and see that the thread is 4 years old and in no way relevant.   

If people are commenting on them, chances are they don't realize how old it is when they are reading/responding, so it could definitely lead to misinformation.

3. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 2 years ago

We have had a lot of zombie threads restarting, and that got me to looking around for the why.  And then with the influx of summer newbies, it was clear they are looking at thread titles, and not the dates. 

The pre-Panda and pre-Penguin threads on how to build Hubs and promote them are really not helping the new writers, and ultimately is don't see how that won't just blowback onto the rest of us eventually. 

And just on the side, I adore how my iPad turned the word "seems" into "S&M's" which is my email shorthand for a friend's house in my first post.