Man Wearing Female Ring? (Really big deal?)

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (98 posts)
  1. Kain 360 profile image92
    Kain 360posted 9 years ago

I want to buy a Green Peridot ring off of ebay. I thought it looked very aesthetic looking and I can get it for a fantastic price. Then someone in my family told me it was a female ring and it would be stupid for me to a wear a female ring. Well, quite frankly, I do not like the look of the men's version.

Honestly, I find rings unisex. The so called "female rings" look nicer (to me). I was told people would think I was a cross-dresser or gay. Well, I am not gay, in fact, I am quite muscular and masculine looking -- 5-11 male benching nearly 300 lbs! I am turned on by women not men! I have nothing against gays, however. Is it really so bad if I were to wear a ring that (because of the culture) is intended for females to wear?!! Heck, the middle ringer only means f**k you because we "give meaning to it."  It is the culture that defines many things. hmm

As for the reason for me wanting to wear the ring I will not say. But it relates to finding the truth. smile

Sorry TYPO IN TITLE! I mean (really big deal).

Kain 360posted 9 years agoin reply to this

^_^

2. Christy Kirwan profile image88
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I say, who cares what some people think? Wear what makes you feel good because in the end, that's the most important thing. smile

1. profile image0
        swilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Christy, Live freely, embrace your unique qualities and sense of style.

2. Kain 360 profile image92

That's what I am thinking. From my perspective,  rings are unisex. Plus, I can get a really good deal on this ring. It's 80% off whereas the men's is not. And the ring looks more aesthetic to me and has a better shape in my opinion.

3. Kain 360 profile image92

Off topic but I see you like Fatal Frame? I knew about that game as a kid, but never played it till this year. Very confusing game(s). Pretty scary.

3. bethperry profile image82
      bethperryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ask yourself this: do you have the balls to endure possible barbs from friends teasing you about your purty girly ring and endure such barbs WITHOUT feeling the urge to 1. run the bathroom for a good cry, 2. run for the nearest tub of chocolate ice cream and spoon and/or 3. tell them all what jealous skanks they are? If your answer is yes to all three, then I doubt there's any reason to fear potential feminizing effects from the ring.

Of course, if you do get the ring and put it on and suddenly feel like bursting out in a resounding rendition of "I Feel Pretty", then you might consider trading it in for a traditional man's ring.

LOL

4. Pamela N Red profile image83
      Pamela N Redposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wear whatever you want and makes you happy. We no longer live in a gender specific world where a person is only allowed to wear certain items of clothing, jewelry or anything else for that matter.

As a lesbian friend of mine once said, "No, they aren't men's clothes, I bought them and wear them so they are now women's clothes."

5. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, let us talk about this.

Since this thread keeps being shoved in my face.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59

First off. You are gay. Right?

6. missolive profile image61
      missoliveposted 9 years agoin reply to this

1. Both my kids were born in August and I love this peridot ring.
      2. Johnny Depp wears his girlfriend's engagement ring and rocks it, the dude can rock anything!
      3. Most jewelry is either symbolic or some sort of statement piece. In other words, you decide what you like, you choose if you want to wear it and you decide if you want to explain it (if even necessary).
      4. I say, make sure it fits your 'middle' finger, it can come in 'handy'. All goofy puns intended smile
      5. It will certainly be a possible conversation piece and you will find out what kind of people are in your circle. We've already seen the interesting peeps it has stirred to post on this thread. We can certainly not please everyone (duh)....human culture will never cease to amaze me (smh).

Ok, all that said....
      email me the link, I want one! smile

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
        Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, he can indeed pull anything off. Loved him with blue nails, too!

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image84
    DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years ago

Do what you want.  It's your life.  If someone else doesn't like it, pfffft to them!  It's their problem, not yours.

My philosophy of personal style goes like this:  I believe in comfort, first last, and in the middle.  If you don't like the way I look or dress, you are free to look the other way.

So, go for it!  (The only "problem" you might have with it being "designed for women" is that it may be too small; you'd have to have a jeweler re-size it for you.)

I think my ring size is 10. My finger measures 2 1/2 inches around. I was looking at a chart explaining it.

3. LeslieAdrienne profile image69
    LeslieAdrienneposted 9 years ago

If you can buy it then you can wear it.... I don't see the difference in a male wearing a "female" ring than in a male wearing "female" earrings....

4. watergeek profile image94
    watergeekposted 9 years ago

I wore a male ring for awhile, until I couldn't get it over my knuckle anymore. I didn't even think of it as male when I bought it, and no one ever said anything about it.

5. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

I'm with others - wear what you like.  I used to sell jewelry at fairs, and a lot of males bought rings and even bracelets from me - totally not a big deal. 

I wear "mens"  t-shirts when I work out because they are comfy and less expensive - I doubt anyone notices and if they do, who cares? smile

Life's short, do what you want and if people have something to say about it, that's on them.

6. profile image0
    Abi Helenposted 9 years ago

Lol, who cares !! if you like it,  you buy it smile rings don't have male, female category,  it's just that some are pretty and some are plain, people say those pretty rings as female and plain ones as male. Don't mind them, just think of them as retarded people big_smile

That's what I was thinking as well pretty much.

1. profile image0
        Abi Helenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I saw the ring, it's pretty,  don't worry just buy it smile

7. sherwani profile image60
    sherwaniposted 9 years ago

Either the ring is just too womenly or, I think you are just making a big deal about what others are saying about it. Post a link of the picture of the ring.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9077834_f248.jpg

1. profile image0

This is a nice ring...just don't carry a man bag while wearing it. I know this from experience. You have very  flamboyant taste, and there is nothing wrong with that. I have a lot of Metro-sexual men in my family. You rock that ring.
        http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9077957_f248.jpg

Source /Amazon.com

1. Sed-me profile image80
          Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Schmidt from New Girl, my favorite Metrosexual in the whole world, ever. smile
          http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9077998_f248.jpg
          In other news, the leader of Isis has called ppl to wage a holy war.

No! I am not going to carry around a man bag lol

I would not consider myself metrosexual. I wear basic clothes -- nothing crazy fashion wise...Tank tops, shirts, shorts....

2. sherwani profile image60
        sherwaniposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to say. But from a first view I found this ""womanly"" enough to not to wear. But if you don't care what others think, then buy it and wear it. Or you could buy and keep it, then no one would mind. Like me and my father did with our Honda Car, we just keep it. Take it out twice or thrice an year big_smile

What makes it "womanly" from your perspective?

1. profile image0

Metrosexsual men are very manly. They are into working out. They like fit women, and they stand their ground. They just have flashy taste. There is nothing wrong with that. I’m just glad the ring does not look like something that Liberace would have worn, if so I would have kept my comment to myself.
            Liberace's rings were huge and very womanly looking however, to each his own I say. Do as you see fit young blood.
            http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9078212_f248.jpg

source amazon

Well I am into working out.

1. profile image0

Yes! I read your articles! You provide great insight on fitness and video games!

2. sherwani profile image60

It just looks womanly. Not easy to explain. There is just so much gliter, shinness, design, shape and very light color for this Idea of the ring. The strap of boxes are actually making it.

Well to be honest I don't really care what others think in this regard, however, someone in my family was making quite the big deal about it saying people would think I was a cross-dresser. LOL

This is a small ring! Not a woman's dress. I view it as unisex anyway.

8. Sed-me profile image80
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

So many concerns in the world today.

9. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

We should all be able to wear whatever we like without fearing what others might think.

If you're interested in my personal opinion of the ring: it's beautiful, but I wouldn't find it attractive on a man--I don't think it would do a man any favors aesthetically speaking.

How not? What specifically makes this ring for a female and not a male? I'd rather have a ring that has a nicer shape. Men's look bulky.

It's a very delicate ring, and from the way you describe yourself, you're an absolute hunk!

I don't think it's necessary to think in terms of 'for female and not male'. Think of a hugely built woman carrying a dainty little purse. Or Grace Jones wearing a floaty, flouncy frock.

I'm not a great fan of rings on men, anyway. But I love to see a man wearing earings--an identical one in each ear. A man looks great with small hoops or simple studs to accentuate his masculine facial contours. However, the effect is totally lost if he wears a chandalier design, or maybe plastic clip-ons with polka dots ...   

On the other hand, I see nothing wrong with describing objects in terms of masculine and feminine, and 'feminine' is an adjective I'd use for your ring. That, of course, doesn't mean you can't wear it. I hope you feel free to wear whatever you like!

No, I do not think there is anything wrong with describing things as feminine or masculine. But I think some things are neutral or unisex etc.

You make some good points, though. But I feel a ring is different compared to other stuff...

But I must say; I do not want to wear this ring for fashion reasons,style, etc.. There is a reason that goes beyond it's physical appearance. Of course I like the way it looks, though.

I'm not super huge, but this is what I look like.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9078438_f248.jpg

Pls make this thread end.

You, again...

It's me... member me?

lol and all that, proceed to back? big_smile

2. profile image0

And there you have it! No one is going to mess with you wearing that ring stud! You could probably get away with the man bag too bro. :-)

10. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

I think I'm tired of this sucker. But that's just me.

It's had a life span we never could have expected. For that reason alone, it will be remembered in the annals of time.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59

And...

3. The Examiner-1 profile image59
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Then why do you not just leave?

11. amiebutchko profile image71
    amiebutchkoposted 9 years ago

Wear the ring.  I think it is quite shallow of people to criticize you for doing something that is expressive of yourself!

I agree, however, I am not really wearing this ring to express myself (not main reason at all).

12. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

I have a male friend who sometimes gets a little confused when it comes to 'for men' or 'for women'. For example, he wore a large watch by Guess for a long while without realizing it was designed for women, and he sometimes wears floral fragrances, thinking they're for men. But I can't imagine even him wearing Kain 360's ring. It's just so unmistakably 'for women'.

1. sherwani profile image60

True that.

hmm

13. The Examiner-1 profile image59
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

Will it fit your finger? Since it is female ring then it may be too small.

1. sherwani profile image60

You the real MVP!!! I myself didn't thought about this. You should've put the first comment to stop everyone from wasting their time.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59

Because when I scanned over all comments I did not see any mentioning that.

You can get different sizes so it will if I get proper size (with this particular seller). Some sellers only had small sizes. or big sizes.

Good luck then.

Yes, problem with buying on internet is that getting a wrong size can suck. They have a chart, though. My size is like 10 I believe.

Go to a store, check the size there
            and make sure. Ask eBay if you get a size too big, can you exchange it.

14. paradigmsearch profile image59

And nobody cares. Right?

15. paradigmsearch profile image59

Get over it. Lived in SF 10 years. Wished to hell I had sex that easy. Damn, damn, and damn.

Sort this.

16. Sed-me profile image80
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

I just don't get how a decision to wear or not wear a ring has generated 4 pages of text. If someone decides to switch from plain to cherry chapstick, are we going to analyze it with as much verbosity? If we discuss the chapstick situation, we'd better include as many pics as this thread had.

You again. But I am tired. Life time? You better be serious. Declined for now.

...........Your comments........

The top ------------ of my head

poke.

James K or salad?

you. are serious are you?

I don't know if Im serious, cause I don't know what we're talking about. smile

Drop me a note, but only if you are...

Then do not come to this page! Troll!

I am one of the kindest persons you would ever want to talk with. Try me.

2. Sed-me profile image80

I am sure I have started many a shallow thread myself... one on croutons, but to be fair, ppl called me on it and I couldn't argue with them. You did ask in the title if it was a big deal, on that note, I weighed in.

3. profile image0

It takes a lot of discipline to stay healthy. Seriously keep up the good work! And keep writing inspiring articles on how we can keep in shape. Shake the dust off! You are good at what you do!

17. paradigmsearch profile image59

You laughed. You laughed. And then you ran away.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I write about subjects where the products are often healing stones and crystals found in jewelry, and I think the ring is a little on the feminine side. I do understand that men's rings are really bulky though. I know a good site, Healingcrystals.com, where you may be able to find a ring that is a little more masculine looking with a peridot. Otherwise, I say if you like it, wear it.

18. GwennyOh profile image91
    GwennyOhposted 9 years ago

I really wanted let you know that there is no issue at all with you wanting to wear a ring. Remember that you can't please anyone no matter what you wear or what you do, or how you look for that matter. The only one you can please with relative simplicity is you. Wear that ring and enjoy it!

I think your family member is a little out of touch with today's world. Many guys that are secure in their sexuality wear things that have a questionable appearance. But maybe your ring doesn't actually look feminine to anyone but your one family member... and so what if it does.

A male friend of mine, for the first time ever, began working with a gay man two or three years back. He said something like - if he ever comes near me, I am going to... blah blah blah... just imagine to fill in the blanks.

I told him not to think that way, that gay people stick to their own as a rule. Just enjoy the chance to make a new friend instead... which he did. Today, still solidly male, he can easily enjoy wearing a pink T shirt or a purple watch strap. Never before would he have been able to. But some how working around a gay man made him more secure in his own sexuality.

I don't know how that worked. I tell you this so that you can see that what you dare wear that is out of the ordinary can actually illustrate a strong character. I think my friend looks sincerely male in his pink T!

19. mike44moore profile image60
    mike44mooreposted 9 years ago

Get the ring. Too often we are pressured into thinking this way. There is no shame in wearing something that makes you feel good. As long as it doesn't make others feel bad on purpose. I say buy it and wear it bro!

20. msdielise profile image60
    msdieliseposted 9 years ago

Female rings are a bit smaller. Why would you wear a female ring anyways?

Don't you think that a ring that designed for you and suits you well is better?

21. Kathleen Odenthal profile image88
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

should i switch chapsticks?

22. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 9 years ago

My hair is really long.  Should I sleep with it in a ponytail or wear it down?

Do you roll over on your back a lot? The lump might wake you up.

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Excellent point.  Don't wanna wake up with a headache!

Do you use more of a female ponytail or a male one?

1. profile image0
            Motown2Chitownposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I had to ponder that for a second...lol

Definitely female.

I find sleeping with a male one more comfortable.

23. Anna Haven profile image72
    Anna Havenposted 9 years ago

Walk your own path.You don't need anyone's approval. Get your ring.

24. Kathleen Odenthal profile image88
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

This is the most ridiculous thread ever. Not commenting on the post by the original poster, or any individual post, but just the thread as a whole. Hilarious. Completely hilarious.

This has to do with the culture!!! How we define colors like pink as feminine or certain types of things like rings. The culture and society in general often defines what is considered masculine or feminine. Sociology generally will explain many aspects of this.

In some some societies there are certain hand gestures that send out the signal that someone is gay. The middle finger for example means nothing unless we humans give meaning to it. There is no intrinsic value to some things unless a creature/human give a meaning to it. Same thing with words...

If you have nothing good to say leave this page! You internet trolls are lost in a maze of moral relativism.

Best quote on a thread ever.

I might be completely wrong, but just out of curiosity--didn't you used to be the hubber Beth37?

Yes.

25. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

If the OP wants to wear a so-called woman's ring, so be IT.   There are MORE IMPORTANT subjects to post on threads than this.  There are very acute sociopolitical issues such as homelessness, poverty, crime, etc. than this subject.  Thank you, Ms. Odenthal for addressing the issue.  When I saw this thread, I thought what!

26. greenthummy profile image58
    greenthummyposted 9 years ago

This is funny but interesting. But go ahead, dude. Wear what you want. I know of one Asian male celebrity (definitely not gay coz he got a family) who love to wear his wife's wristwatch right on his show.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)