jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Broken links

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

Ok, this keeps happening to me.  Well, two things with broken links.  Both are annoying.

1)  There is a broken link warning; I go to edit the hub and fix or delete said link, and the broken link warning does not go away.
    I then re-check the entire hub, to make sure there was not more than one. There very rarely is; virtually never. It's happened maybe one time that there was more than a single instance in one hub.

2)  There is a broken link warning; I go to the edit mode to find it, and upon testing said highlighted link, it is NOT broken, and opens up just fine.  This is particularly irritating.

In the second case, I thought I understood there was a utility to check "ignore this," but if there is, I cannot find it.

1. RachaelOhalloran profile image92
      RachaelOhalloranposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You can only click IGNORE THIS if the link comes back still broken on the retest.

I've been getting broken link warnings too for over 3 weeks. I don't know whether it is something that HP has built in to their system to alert hubbers or if they rely on readers to report the hubs. Either way, I have had many broken link warnings only to find they are not broken at all.

This is what I have been doing.
      I have copied the link, unlinked it, then paste the link back in, and click Done Editing. I reload the hub, then on stat screen, I click retest broken link. They always come back all fixed.

This just proves they weren't broken in the first place.  I've been doing this for a little over 3 weeks now and whenever I get a broken link warning, it is never the same link as before.

Either something is wrong with HP's testing system, or the people reporting the hubs are having browser problems that the links don't open for them. I still check and apply MY fix.

HP needs to check to see what's wrong and where.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The third possibility is that the server being used in the link was down when the robots checked it. 

I will always test a link myself that has been reported bad; if it is I delete it and if not I leave it alone.  It will be checked again in due time and will presumably be found to be OK then.  Or (I think) I can ask HP to check it immediately and it will come back as being OK and soon the symbol is removed as well.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
        DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

???  I don't see anything anywhere that says anything about re-testing broken links, either on the 'stats' at the top of the individual hub, or in the list of all hubs on the "my account" page. ....

2. The Examiner-1 profile image84
      The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Check your videos and see what they say.

3. Matthew Meyer profile image78
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Please see Relache's helpful post below.

Another thing to consider is testing the URL itself using a third party tool to let you know the HTTP return code. 

Here is one I have used before.
      http://www.axandra.com/free-online-seo- … s-code.php

This is important as just because a page loads for you, does not mean that the server is issuing an HTTP code that let's our system know that the URL is correct and current.
      In some cases sites block bots and this can result in a HTTP code that tells our system the content it not live.  Pay-wall or registration-walled content can also interfere with checking the link.

This explains what each code means

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 2 years ago

Anyone ever notice noticed the Broken Links link on your dashboard?  It leads to the broken links report page, which is where you can test or ignore the links.

3. Gypsy Rose Lee profile image61
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 2 years ago

Since I mostly post poems and use videos from them from YouTube the most frustrating thing was having a broken link to fix but not remembering the song I so carefully chose for my post. Then because now and then there are broken links I now keep a list of my hubs and what videos I post. That way I can fix the problem.