Accidentally clicked one of my own ads.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)
  1. dwelburn profile image90
    dwelburnposted 9 years ago

I just clicked one of my own ads by accident. Has anyone ever done this? Do you know if I will get an instant ban or is there a degree of tolerance to this? Surely it happens occasionally to many people. Am a bit worried about it. Thanks.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It happens.  I've done it once or twice.

No worries.  It will be ignored as long as it is very infrequent.

Have too many "accidents," though, and you'll have a problem at that point.  You might just get a warning at first.  Don't know for sure; I've never had that happen enough times to trigger any kind of alert.

2. SpaceShanty profile image94
      SpaceShantyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry, Google has good systems to detect accidential clicks and they won't ban you for just one click you made.

dwelburnposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks; good to know Google has it covered smile

1. SpaceShanty profile image94
          SpaceShantyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Here is the official blurb http://adsense.blogspot.co.uk/2007/05/a … appen.html

Even if it wasn't an Adsense Ad I'm sure all the Ad networks employ simliar systems.

dwelburnposted 9 years agoin reply to this

OK thanks; I've had a look at that. Very interesting and it makes sense.

2. dwelburn profile image90

Thanks DzyMsLizzy. As far as I know it's the first time I've done it. Certainly was not deliberate; in fact I was shocked when I realized what I'd done. I'm always very careful, but obviously not enough today. Appreciate your reply; I feel a bit better now.

3. Pico Triano profile image88
    Pico Trianoposted 9 years ago

I did it accidentally because of a lagging computer. It was my first click here on Hubpages. It didn't count for me but I didn't get banned either. There has to be some tolerance or a lot of us would be in trouble.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've done it too, we all make mistakes. Don't worry about it. It would only be a problem if you were clicking your own links all the time. Frankly, I don't think anyone bothers to click anymore.

4. profile image0
    swilliamsposted 9 years ago

I agree with Jean, I tried to tweet out an Article and clicked on an Ad by mistake. I did not know what was going on because the site did not look anything like twitter. I was worried when I realized what I had done. However as Jean said you don't want to go click happy. It's a mistake. Now if there is a knock at your door it could be the Hub Pages or Ad Sense Police. Just Kidding :-) Mistakes happen.
    However, I do wonder, are we supposed to contact someone to notify them of this accident?

1. Barbara Kay profile image72
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't think so. It would keep the Adsense Administration busy 24 hours a day. I'm sure it happens to everyone at some point.

5. Hackslap profile image82
    Hackslapposted 9 years ago

It has happened to me on a few occasions but its nothing to worry about.. you only fall under the spotlight if Google notices that someone's been clicking on the ads placed on your hubs or profile far too often and the clicks are coming from handful locations/computers

6. Maggie.L profile image84
    Maggie.Lposted 9 years ago

This has happened to me too. One of the cons of having a touch screen! My very inquisitive child leans over and says "What's that Mummy?" Next thing I know, she's touched an ad.

I was a bit worried about it too so glad to hear so many hubbers have clicked on an ad by mistake too.

7. Chinaimport profile image79
    Chinaimportposted 9 years ago

Google will not penalize you for accidental clicks.  Please read this https://support.google.com/adsense/answ … 1348720#q1

8. dwelburn profile image90

Thank you all for your comments on this. Good to know that many other people have had this happen to them too. And comforting to know that it was all ok.

9. Hendrika profile image68
    Hendrikaposted 9 years ago

I have also clicked one or two in my time by accident. Nothing happened.

10. incomeguru profile image94
    incomeguruposted 9 years ago

One need to be extra careful to avoid clicking own ads. Since Google has estimated and finalized earnings, I don't think your own click will add up to your earnings.

11. Valeant profile image87
    Valeantposted 9 years ago

I've done it.  Fanagrams has some cool looking gear.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)