I just came across hubpages today and joined. I went to post a photograph and saw the tips that personal blog entries and such don't make good hubs. When it comes to personal art and things like writing, poems and short stories is hubpages not a good site for posts like that?
Thank you for your help, I'm happy I found this site.
HubPages is not a blogging site, it's a place to write magazine-style articles, which you then illustrate with photos, videos etc.
Like any magazine, HubPages wants to feature articles which are of interest to its readers. Most readers are not going to be interested in what you had for tea today, or how your family is doing, so it doesn't encourage personal stories unless you're an unusually interesting person!
You need to be conscious that if you post stuff on the internet, especially on a very popular site like HubPages, it is likely to be stolen. So you may wish to be careful about posting your own photos if you want to safeguard copyright.
any way to protect one's self from plagiarism?
Not really. Hubpages is a constant target for large-scale professional thieves, because they can find plenty of articles on whatever subject they want. If you are really worried about theft, the best thing is to write on your own blog, which is unlikely to be targeted by the professionals.
alright, so i should just make content that I wouldn't care if someone stole it on this website. I'm surprised that there is no protection to one's work if they have a registered account and author. I'm sure this website and it's users would make more money if they filed lawsuits against pirates.
Not really, because the cost of filing lawsuits would be far greater than any earnings potential.
The copyright holder is the only entity that can issue DMCA notice of infringements for copied content.
This means only an author can file such a claim, as HubPages does not own the copyright to your content.
My recent hub on stolen hubs might help with a process to monitor plagiarism...
You can post short fiction and poetry. If you do, make sure you choose the creative writing categories after you click on "Start a hub". Since poetry and short stories don't usually have a lot of pictures, polls, and videos they're scored differently but only if placed under creative writing. I've seen people who create hubs of nothing more than their art and photography with short descriptions of the work, but I'm not sure if there are special categories for such hubs.
I hope you are having a great time in HubPages. Please carefully read the FAQ sections. They have given wonderful guidelines about the posts and type of posts which you can publish on HubPages.
I am also new to this website and in the beginning, even I was having problem to determine which topic to hub into. But believe me, once you read the hub FAQs, you will be crystal clear about the instructions.
Here I am providing few guidelines as per my knowledge. Hope this will be helpful for you:
1. If you are really interested and have a good flair in photography, then you can create stellar hubs under the title 'travel and places', / 'flowers of the Hawaiian island'/ 'African Safari'.
2. Suppose you want to post some snaps of wild orchids, then please make an attractive title. A title should contain the most searchable SEO keywords like about the flower snaps, you can make a title containing details of 160 words, approximately (from where you have collected those snaps, why those flowers are special.
3. For example, Japanese Orchids and their Availability). Now people, or photographers who are interested and searching about this particular type of flower will go through your post and see your snaps. In this way you can create a stellar hub, giving details of the flowers, writing about their variety, and correspondingly posting your photos of high quality, which is your main objective.
4. You can also make a video of your own and post it through Vimeo and YouTube. You can make a video edit of all your photographs, the best techniques and relate, this is a different stellar hub.
In a Hub, you have to make it exciting by combining article and photos. Please visit other hubs containing photographs and how they have created their stellar hubs/green hubs.
5. If you are only interested in posting photos and not writing anything then there are other websites like Blogs which are only for photographers. You can visit: Fotomuseum Winterhur. This website is only for photographers.
6. For plagiarism or prevention of your photo from being stolen: There are editing softwares like Adobe Premiere Pro, Photoshop CS, and in a more advanced version Final Cut Pro for Videos to give a watermark of your name or e-mail i.d. Though there are chances of infringement, but to some extent you can prevent.
I hope the information is helpful for those who are reading. Please feel free to ask more.
Hi, welcome to Hubpages, not sure if I have the right to say since, I was only a member for only 6 months... but this is based on my own experience.
I also had this problem before, but I did realize later, that you can just be you in writing your hubs.. Just like your interest, the shows you like, the food you eat, the places you visit or just a introduction of yourself with a twist of an interesting topic. I'm sure that there are people who have the same interest as you and may read your hubs. You should not copy anyone's style but build your own style in making your hubs.
Anyway, welcome to hubpages.
by Angela Michelle4 years ago
I feel concerned that the reason google may prefer ehow as opposed to hubpages, is because there is an abundance of poetry and short stories. I am not by any means saying that those who publish the short stories...
by Janet Giessl2 years ago
I joined HubPages about 1 year ago and I have only written 13 hubs. Out of these 13 only 2 hubs are getting good traffic. That's why I deleted 11 hubs and left these 2 hubs on here. I'm not sure if I should go on with...
by Susan Britton2 years ago
Write a Hub that is outside your comfort zone in 2015. (If you normally write informative articles, try a short story or poem. If you're a creative writer, consider a tutorial or explanation Hub.)This above sentence was...
by Tall Clovers2 years ago
I've rewriiten a HubPages Story after receiving a duplicate post warning. I received another "duplicate post" message. It's not a duplicate post. The new version is almost all new. The only thing I didn't...
by Ben Blackwell3 years ago
I have made a similar post a while ago, but I still haven't been able to find a solution to this problem. All of my hubs are currently featured and always have been. I have 6 poems, 3 short stories, and 29...
by johnfl3 years ago
I have been on Hub Pages about a year and I have written about 27 Hubs and they have received close to 5000 views, which I felt was not bad and my status hovers between 82-88. Last week I had about 8 of my Hubs...
Copyright © 2017 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.