Questions about a tobacco-related hub

1. JoeYoung22 profile image90
    JoeYoung22posted 2 years ago

The very first hub I submitted was an article that looks at the way attitudes towards smoking have changed over recent decades, particularly where children are involved (sweet cigarettes, TV ads etc). The article does not promote smoking in any kind of positive way, and as it stands it is pretty much a text-only hub with a solitary graphic (when I joined, I thought that the writing was all that mattered in a hub - I have had my eyes opened since then). Although the hub was published, it does contain a warning, visible only to me, that states:

CONTENT WARNING: This hub appears to be about tobacco.

As I am learning how to tweak my hubs to make them more substantial, I intend to give this article a bit of a makeover - so here's my question.

One of the most vivid demonstrations of the change in attitudes towards smoking can be seen in old cigarette commercials, including some that featured the Flintstones. In one such ad, Wilma and Betty toil in the garden, while Fred and Barney sneak round the back for a secret smoke.

Would I be able to use this YouTube clip in my hub (it would be a perfect example of the main thrust of the hub), or would it be frowned upon for these reasons:

1) It contravenes HubPages' rules about featuring tobacco products in hubs (following on from the warning I received).

2) The brand of cigarettes advertised by Fred and Barney is still available today, and so technically, it would be free advertising for that brand.

I'm not too hopeful of being allowed to use this.

Any thoughts on the matter?

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
      Venkatachari Mposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I hope the video clips will not be allowed if they project only smoking styles and attitudes. Videos of warnings and about dangers and ill effects of tobacco can be put up by you. Your hub should have started with the warning of Tobacco kills or something like that. And the ending lines should emphasize with advice to quit smoking and or tobacco.

2. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 2 years ago

It's Google's content rules that are of primary importance, as HubPages must follow those as well. … ed_content