jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

improvement of the quality of a non-featured hub of mine

1. Prakash RnP profile image69
    Prakash RnPposted 2 years ago

I have been advised by the Team HubPages to seek your help improve the quality of my hub ' Gay Marriage : True or a Travesty ?! ' According to the Team HubPages, this hub has got the following limitations :
    ' Bold and inconsistent visual formatting of text
    Lack of attractive supporting visual media like original images.
    There are also other extensive issues that affect readability. '
    But they haven't given any examples of these faults. I should like you to cite some examples of the limitations of the hub in question and make some suggestions to rectify them.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image89
      Millionaire Tipsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Every day, HubPages features a new Hub of the Day as an example of what hubs should look like.

To get your hub published, simply resolve the problems that are stated.  Here is what I would do to fix the issues:

' Bold and inconsistent visual formatting of text"
      Take out all of the bold and italics.  Keeping it simple will make it easier for the reader to read and understand what you are saying.

'Lack of attractive supporting visual media like original images.'
      Readers like the hub to look pretty.  They get bored by just reading. Add some pictures - preferably ones you have taken, so you can show you know what you are talking about - or find some copyright free pictures you can use. Wedding pictures  would be good here.

'There are also other extensive issues that affect readability. '
      Read your hub again and make sure everything makes sense.  Make sure you don't have grammar or spelling issues.  You can run it through the grammar checker on Word. It would also be helpful to have someone with knowledge of English grammar critique your hub.

While you are doing these things, even though they are not mentioned, make sure that you aren't being over-commercial by directing people to your website too much. Since this is a controversial topic, be sure to be respectful as you explain your views.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image89
        Millionaire Tipsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I've taken a look at one of your published hubs.  It seems to be well written, and the formatting is the biggest issue.

I have some additional advice:

Remove all the underlines.  Take out the things that were stricken out or take out the strike out.  Also make sure that the capitalization is correct.  I see several places that you did not capitalize the first letter, and did capitalize the rest of the word.

2. psycheskinner profile image80
      psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The did give you an example "Bold and inconsistent visual formatting of text"

That means bolding text for emphasis, they don't want you to do that.  They probably don't want you do capitalize for the same reason.

2. ChristinS profile image94
    ChristinSposted 2 years ago

I would listen to the other posters and also take out the SCREAMING.  When we type in all caps, it is a big turnoff to readers.  It is the equivalent of shouting at someone.  You use a lot of bold and a lot of words in your title/subtitles that are bold and all caps - a big no no. I get you are using them for emphasis, but too much of a good thing has the opposite effect.  If you want people to read; don't shout at them.

Also, I have noticed you have a few run-on sentences. This makes your ideas hard to follow.  Sentence structure is problematic in a few places.  Use commas, semicolons and periods properly.  It goes a long way.  Excessive wordiness can muddle your writing also. (I'm always guilty of that. I have to go back routinely and cut out extra words)

As the internet meme points out

Let's eat, Grandma! has a much different meaning than Let's eat Grandma! smile

Reading aloud can help you discover where the missing commas are, in addition to the grammar checker on most software.

3. Karen Ray profile image84
    Karen Rayposted 2 years ago

To reiterate what the others said, the bold words are very distracting when trying to read the article. There is too much text without a visual break somewhere. Add some photos or charts. An opinion poll would be an excellent addition considering the topic of your hub. One sentence had 58 words - I'd break that down some. I had one hub that took numerous revisions before it was featured. It was driving me crazy because I couldn't figure out what they wanted. I'd say just keep trying and consider all suggestions until you figure out how they apply to your hub.