Squidoo & Duplicate Content

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (19 posts)
  1. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

Why those of us moving over from Squidoo should not try to transfer our lenses to HubPages manually:

I just moved one of my recipes that's fairly new, and doesn't have a high search engine ranking, thinking I would use it as a way to become familiar with the HubPages tools. I deleted the Squidoo lens, published the new hub---and was promptly told that it is duplicate content.

*sigh*

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There's a few things at play here, I think.

One - as Relache says, if you move the lens manually, the HubPages' dupe content checker isn't clever enough to know it's from Squidoo.  It's checking Google and finding the same text somewhere else, so it's flagging it.     

Waiting an hour or two won't solve that problem - you'll have to wait until the lens has disappeared from Google search results, which is an unpredictable length of time.  It just depends how long it takes for Google to go and crawl the page again, which may be a few hours or it could be several days.

If you wait and let the system transfer them, that will all be taken care of and you won't have that problem.

Two - Hubs don't get unpublished for having a low score.  They get unpublished for failing QAP, or because they're duplicate, or they're overly promotional.   If you published just the recipe, with no commentary, then it may have been considered too short.   

HubPages has special "recipe" capsules which you can use - in fact you should, because they add Google's rich snippets markup to the Hub, telling Google it is a recipe. 

Edit:  I can see the Hub is published now?

lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I already used all the recipe capsules, and even found a calculator so I could add nutritional information.

I specifically chose this lens as my test because it doesn't show up in Google search results. I'm one of those people who can find anything online in under two minutes---and I couldn't find this recipe indexed anywhere. Regardless, Paul passed it through.

An hour later, the hub had been unpublished, and there was a box at the top telling me it had scored too low, and had been unpublished. I added another photo, and expanded the text, and republished, but I'm sure when I wake up tomorrow, it will be unpublished again. It's just short of 500 words, and I really can't add any more text to a simple recipe.

This is a real problem. The Squidoo recipe template lent itself to very brief text, and limited us to one photo. I'm gonna have a bunch of recipes that will have the same issues this one does---and I'm not really sure what to do about it.

It will be interesting to see if it does get unpublished again.  If it's nearly 500 words then I can't see how it would be. 

Recipes here do need to be accompanied by commentary, as you've done for that Hub.  Poetry gets an exemption for length - nothing else does!   The reason is simple:  it's known that Google doesn't like short posts, so HubPages doesn't want them.  As usual for them, they've erred w-a-a-a-a-y on the safe side!

2. profile image0
          bobtyndallposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have the same issue with regards to recipes. I am very familiar with recipes as I find them all over the net. For me a recipes should be short and to the point. An image, ingredients, directions and maybe a short description and nutritional value.
          I created a recipe hub and published it. When I look at it I see a list of similar hubs at the bottom. When I look at them I see some of the ugliest looking hubs I have ever seen. I saw one that had about 10 images and 20 instructions for a simple sandwich. If I was looking for a recipe and came across that one I would simply ignore it and move on.

Look any where on the internet. 90 % of all recipes take up less than a page. people know how to cook. No one needs a 400 word article telling them how or about the recipe.

Keep it simple. It looks much better.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Another reason you shouldn't try to move your own lenses is that Squidoo and HubPages are going to use redirects to tell Google where the pages have moved, which will preserve much of your link juice.  Move it yourself and you go back to square one on backlinks and relevancy.

As I said, this lens was fairly new, and ranked pretty low, so it has no juice to lose. It's an autumn recipe I published over the summer, so it never really got much traffic. I don't really think I'm losing anything by moving it---and it did give me a chance to play with the tools here a bit.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
        pauldeedsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If the page was deleted from Squidoo before you published the Hub it should not have been identified as a duplicate.  Perhaps there is a bit of a delay on the Squidoo side when you delete a Lens before the page returns a 404?  Just in case, you might want to delete the old page and then wait an hour or two before publishing the Hub.

One thing that can happen is that your original page was copied on a 3rd site.  When that happens, even if you delete the original it may still be identified as a duplicate.  I don't believe that's what happened here, but if you suspect that sort of situation you can contact us about it and ought to be able to help clear things up.

Anyway, I republished that Hub for you.

Thanks, Paul. I think the part I was missing was "and then wait an hour or two".

2. lisavollrath profile image94

Sadly, someone else came by and unpublished it, because it didn't have a high enough score? I'm not sure I understand this. It's just a simple recipe!

3. Marisa Wright profile image86

Paul, we've always been told that if we want to republish something, it's not enough to wait until it's deleted from the old site - we must wait until that page clears Google's cache, because the dupe content checker works by checking Google. Has something special been set up so that doesn't apply for Squidoo, even when the content is moved manually?

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
            pauldeedsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The way our dupe checker works changed about 6 months ago.  It only keeps a local cache of pages for a very short time, so you really don't need to wait any more.  Though, as I said before, there may be caches on the site you removed content from, so waiting an hour or two would still be prudent.

3. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 9 years ago

Your recipe looks nice! If the hub is unpublished again, perhaps you could add a brief description of the health and nutritional benefits of the cranberries. That would lengthen the hub and give readers some extra information.

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about this for a couple of days, and I feel uncomfortable padding my work with information on which I'm not an expert. I feel good about the recipe: I whipped it up in my own kitchen, and photographed it, and I know it works. But I'm not a nutritionist, so I can't really speak with authority on the value of eating cranberries. Does that make sense?

It looks as though the Hub is still published so it doesn't sound as though that will be necessary.

4. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

In the announcement thread admin confirmed that allowing the automated move will preserve/save your original publication date.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/123836? … ost2622604

There's a huge reason not to move anything yourself.

1. Nancy Hardin profile image60
      Nancy Hardinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

relache, that's exactly why I have not moved any of my content from Squidoo. We were told they would move them to our new HubPages account, intact, so that we could then rework them to fit HP's requirements. I have 353 coming over, not all of which will be viable on HP. Those I will put on my blog, and then rework what's left. We appreciate the chance to save some of our pages. Thanks to HP for giving us the opportunity.

5. goatfury profile image90
    goatfuryposted 9 years ago

I finally sucked it up and created a second Hubpages profile, just for the Squidoo lenses to transfer over.  Someone said I might be able to transfer them over to this profile eventually.  Anyone have any insight on how that might work?

As far as I'm aware, the only way to do it is to cut and paste - so you'll lose your 301 redirect and original publication date anyway.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)