jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (23 posts)

Reddit Button

1. sallybea profile image95
    sallybeaposted 2 years ago

I am curious, Reddit favorited one of my tweets recently (A link to a Hub) and I wondered why it is that we don't have a place on our Profile page which will allow us to insert a link to our Reddit account!
    What has your experience been of Reddit and how many people here use it or would like a button to be included on our pages?

1. The Examiner-1 profile image83
      The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I am not a member of Twitter, are you talking about the HP Profile or Twitter Profile? Plus I am not familiar with a Reddit button.

sallybeaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Sorry perhaps I should have made myself clearer.

I have a twitter account which I use to tweet new Hubs - or old ones for that matter - in order to drive traffic to my pages.    I have followers on twitter who enjoy the same creative hobbies - such as Wet Felting and this is one of my favorite ways of driving traffic to my pages.

I  opened a Reddit account when I was sent an email by them to say that they had favorited one of these tweets.

I now see that it is possible to download a Reddit button but there is no facility to add one to our profile on Hubpages via the (edit profile page)   I hope that makes sense.  The only reason would be so that I could drive traffic to my pages - without spamming them with only my pages - but by commenting on things I found there.

1. ChristinS profile image92
          ChristinSposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That's interesting.  I had a hub tweeted/favorited by Reddit too last week and that was a first for me.  I am not really familiar with it, but I remember reading forums a long while back about hubbers getting a lot of flack there for self-promotion.  Perhaps that had something to do with it.  Apparently some users are liking some of our hubs though so that's pretty cool smile.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image83
          The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yes, Sally, I understand now. I have also read the other comments about it.

2. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I would HATE to see a Reddit button on this site.

Users on this site on the whole are HORRIBLY abusive and clueless when it comes to genuine social sharing, and any service where a button gets added is then flooded with people intentionally creating backlinks.

Thanks for your comment.  I can't say I have any experience of this - but my idea was definitely not to spam but to explore another way of finding like minded people doing the things which I enjoy doing.

Interesting to read your perspective on this though.

3. Sherry Hewins profile image95
      Sherry Hewinsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

My experience on Reddit, in general, has been that they hate HubPages and consider any link to it spam. Moderators in most subreddits would delete any link to a hub.

However, there is a subreddit for hubs only. It has been dormant for years, but recently became active again. It is called thehubhub. Submissions have to be approved by a moderator there, and I just became a moderator, so I am in a position to get new submissions posted faster.

So far redditors have not paid much attention to thehubhub, but I'm hoping it will catch on. I recommend that when people post a link there they tell a little about the hub in a comment, so people will have more reason to click. I think you also get a better response if you post some other stuff and interact a little. Who can blame them for thinking we are spammers if all we do is drop links?

As others have mentioned here, there are a lot of people who get off on being mean and insulting people, also some enjoy downvoting your posts. Don't go there if you can't stand the heat.

That is interesting and helpful.  I will check it out.  I sought out other felt makers on Reddit initially because I thought I might find others interested in the subject.  I did, find a couple of people but their posts were so old and had no response that I thought it unlikely to be of much interest to me anyway.

1. Jean Bakula profile image95
          Jean Bakulaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Then it's not worth it for you. They only trust you if you post in a category and get to know a group of specific people. I understand you shouldn't just go on a site and post links to  your work, but when I tried Reddit I did try to establish relationships with certain groups, and it seemed they were hostile to hubbers.

I did post in my specific genre but as you say, there only appeared to be a couple of people who posted in it and they had no response at all to their posts.

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 2 years ago

There are a significant number of social sites where backlinking to HubPages is prohibited.

1. 0
      Donna Cookposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I don't like Reddit at all either. Both Etsy and Squidoo are/were banned. Stumbleupon is OK for now.

3. lisavollrath profile image90
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

Reddit has always seemed to me to be a harsh place. Abuse and mockery seems to be encouraged there. On my personal sites, I specifically omit the button to share posts to Reddit, because I don't need a herd of bored trolls descending on my artwork.

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The right clueless post here and the abuse/mockery firehose is merciless.  Especially as we've all learned to do it without making any direct comments that could result in a forum ban.

4. firstday profile image61
    firstdayposted 2 years ago

When I went to publish my1st  hub following boot camp…the header from Hub pages put that icon of the tweet bird and wrote tweet everyone.  I didn't because I don't really use tweeter however it looks like that is something I need to look at.

5. firstday profile image61
    firstdayposted 2 years ago

Opphs forgot was asking if that is considered a social site.

My experiences with Reddit were awful. I assumed they were a bunch of teenagers, because the cruelty and abuse was at that level. I wouldn't like to see HP have anything to do with that site.

After reading some of these comments I might well consider using the delete button on my Reddit account.

Hi sallbea,
          Some people like Reddit. It has a lot of categories, but unless you spend a lot of time getting to know people on there, they suspect you of being a spammer, and treat you pretty badly. It does have posts about timely things, but then when you read the comments, most of them are smarmy and mean.

I will have to check it out but so far I have not heard anything that leaves me gagging to make my way over there again.  Thank you for your comment.

6. calculus-geometry profile image86
    calculus-geometryposted 2 years ago

Reddit is not an appropriate place to promote your hubs--unless you are a regular Reddit user who only posts links occasionally, and only when the link is highly relevant to the topic.  Otherwise you will get flagged as spam, and the mod of the subreddit might decide to ban all links from HP.  They've banned links from certain sites before (e.g. Gawker)

I have a few Reddit backlinks from users who've found my hubs relevant to some math or science thread.  But I don't get steady traffic from them, only a small spike of short duration.  It's not worth HP gaining a reputation as a spam site.

Thank you.  I appreciate your comment.  I posted only one item.  I am most unlikely to ever do so again.

working