Squid brethren, don't be like this guy!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (26 posts)
  1. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

To my fellow Squids, one of our compatriots has just given me a perfect example of how NOT to be when first arriving at HubPages.  Please allow me to share.

This is a perfect example of how NOT to comment on a Hub.

This comment was marked as spam and deleted very quickly because
    1) The comment had nothing to do with the Hub topic.
    2) The person is clearly fishing for traffic or feedback, also not the topic of the Hub, or the purpose of that comment capsule.  Don't do what you say you aren't really doing.  Even 5-yr-olds can see that scam.
    3) When I looked at the person's profile there was no info and no picture.

HubPages is going to seem a bit brusque to some of you, but as a popular site, we draw a LOT of spammers and scammers.  More than anything I ever saw in 8 years of Squidoo.

1. lisavollrath profile image92
      lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There's a bonehead in every bunch.

2. profile image0
    fluffanuttaposted 9 years ago

There's a blank space beneath "how NOT to comment" - was there supposed to be a picture or something?

3. relache profile image72

I'm seeing the guys message quoted below that statement.  What OS and browser are you using to view this page?

1. profile image0
      fluffanuttaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Chrome, Firefox and IE on Windows, and also Chrome on Android. Just a white space. I even tried a web proxy.

I can guess what it look like though, so yeah don't be like this gyu!

2. Glenn Stok profile image95
      Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It has nothing to do with the OS or browser.  Quoted sections never show up in Threaded View. It doesn't show up on the "feed" page either.  It only is displayed in Chronological View. Normally that works out just fine since the reply comment is under the other comment in Threaded view. But manually added quoted text also only shows up in Chronological View.  Sorry to be off-topic, but just wanted to clear that up.

1. Ilona1 profile image61
        Ilona1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for explaining about the different views! I was wondering why I didn't see the quote either. Now I know how this thing works thanks to you:)

2. NathaNater profile image91
        NathaNaterposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know that. I've been seeing those blank spaces and didn't know why. Just switched to chronological view and now see the quote. Learn something learn everyday. Thanks, Glenn.

4. AliciaC profile image91
    AliciaCposted 9 years ago

I'm using Safari on my iPad. I couldn't see the comment when I was looking in "Threaded" view, but I could when I switched to "Chronological" view.

1. profile image0
      fluffanuttaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ah ha! I see it now. Thanks Alicia.

2. lisavollrath profile image92
      lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Couldn't see it in Chrome either, but switching to chronological worked. Thanks for the tip!

5. JG11Bravo profile image72
    JG11Bravoposted 9 years ago

Well isn't that charming.

6. Desertdarlene profile image68
    Desertdarleneposted 9 years ago

Oh yeah, I've gotten a few of those even on my Squidoo lenses and bio.

7. profile image0
    Iznogoudposted 9 years ago

Relache, I think what HP HQ should do is have you write a "I'm a Hubber! What's next?" email newsletter to the new arrivals.

A brief summary of what works, what doesn't work, how to behave, as well as other info that they need to know (such as the grace period and other important information) so they can all come up to speed.

1. Glenn Stok profile image95
      Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Relache already wrote a very useful hub as a mover's guide where she gives new arrivals everything they need to know, including links to additional information that is important for them to review.

1. profile image0
        Iznogoudposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've seen Miss Relache's publishings on both here and Squidoo and they are most excellent. I think an official email with her advice and guidance in peoples inboxes would get the message out to the most amount of people in the quickest time, so they can avoid the things that they were once upon a time encouraged to do.

2. kislanyk profile image69
        kislanykposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Relache's hub is wonderful and already in my bookmarked lists, very useful. However not everyone who comes from Squidoo will see it right away, not unless they go forumside, and some people are just not forum goers. An official email from HP to our inbox will be seen right away by literally everybody. Much better chance of the right information reaching all transfers immediately.

1. sockii profile image70
          sockiiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

And not every Squid is a spammer. That's the off feeling I have from this post, sort of accusing Squidoo writers of all being "like this guy" and not knowing that's uncool and improper behavior. There are bad apples in every bunch, and I don't think there is necessarily a higher percentage of them among Squids than on other content platforms.

1. Sed-me profile image79
            Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't think she meant that at all. She was just making a point of someone who got on her nerves.

8. Nicole Pellegrini profile image60
    Nicole Pellegriniposted 9 years ago

I would say that's good advice for ANY new person, not just a transplant from Squidoo. I see comments like that on all types of platforms, not just from Squidoo users by a long shot, seriously.

So yeah. No one likes spam. But I don't think Squidoo users need an extra or special caution not to be spammers. Good Squids already know that, just like good content writers on any platform.

1. Paula Atwell profile image68
      Paula Atwellposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So true, I agree. smile

9. Gloriousconfusion profile image93
    Gloriousconfusionposted 9 years ago

Relache, I still don't know what the comment your mentioned was, as it hasn't shown up anywhere.  I'm dying to know what was said, so please will you re-post it so that we can see where he went wrong!

What on earth is a ,chronological  view, and how do you get one?  We're not all techies here you know.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Look at the top of this page just below the black bar on the right side. It says " threaded" and "chronological". click on the word you want to select.

1. Gloriousconfusion profile image93
        Gloriousconfusionposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Rochelle, got it - easy when you know how!  The comment was miraculously visible, how strange.  Yes, it was certainly a pretty boring sort of comment, wasn't it?

2. Lynne-Modranski profile image81
      Lynne-Modranskiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Took me a bit to find it as well. 
      On the thread go to the top of the page.  You'll see the word THREADED highlighted.
      Just right of the that it should say CHRONOLOGICAL - click that.
      You should be good then!

10. relache profile image72

I'll send official emails if they hire me.  I did get voted Most Likely To Become An Employee in the Hubbie Awards last year, but I'm still just your average opinionated user. (btw, this year's ballot is open thru Sept 1st)

I just wanted to let people know the sorts of behavior that is likely to get your HubPages experience ended before you even get going.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)